New Manapul FLASH Art

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

That's this guy...
Straight from the Source, we’ve got some goodies for all you Flash-fanatics wishing the first issue of the Geoff Johns-written relaunch was coming to your store’s shelf so fast, it’d arrive ahead of street date.  Feast your eyes on some amazing water-color work below by Francis Manapul, who's just recently wrapping up a stint on Adventure Comics for DC.

To the left, we have Barry engaged in a high-speed chase with the Trickster in his... dare I say... tricked-out sedan. At first glance, it would seem to depict the Flash's attempt to stop a robbery or some other crime being performed. Then again, hasn't the Trickster reformed a number of times over the years? Perhaps they're just testing the top speed of the 2011 Civic for Honda. Just perhaps...

We've got a rather-refined portrait of magician villian Abra Kadabra, looking quite sophisticated in his formal wear and with his skeletal, ghostly entourage. Perhaps this is a little tangential, but Kadabra will always freak me out because one of the first comics I ever read was an issue of Flash where a horribly-burned Kadabra returned from the future to get revenge. Scary stuff...  

A little romantic "meet cute" between Barry Allen and Iris West. He's responding to her text seemingly a moment after its been sent, appearing to break the whole "don't be too eager" rule outlined in IRON MAN 2 director Jon Favreau's movie SWINGERS. To the ladies in the Comic Vine community... would this kind of behavior from a date or boyfriend come off as needy or chivalrous? Or perhaps some charming combination of both?

There you have it. Check out the rest of the art at the Source.  Some of this art is from THE FLASH #1, some of its from the FLASH SECRET FILES and some of it, still, is just preparation work Manapul's done to get a feel for the characters. Try to guess what belongs to what. It'll be fun.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by jdeluca2 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait 

#2 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

<3

#3 Posted by Joey Ravn (385 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder, how on earth can a single man be so awesome? Manapul ****ing rocks. I was sad he left Adventure, but him drawing The Flash's new title? That's a "WIN" with capital letters in my book.

#4 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested to see what Johns does with Abra Kadabra, he's one of the few rogues that I don't think he ever really did anything with, him and Double Down

#5 Edited by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to pick this up!!!! I'm so excited :D !!!!!!!! 
The Flash+ Francis Manapul+ Geoff Johns= FTW!!!! 

#6 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom I believe this is a newer Trickster a younger and more psychopathic ruffian.The older reformed Trickster died during Countdown.

Also what's up with that tire in the first pic? Trickster's clearly got his hands at 10 and 2 he seems to be moving straight  but that tire is all caddywhompus.

#7 Posted by NightFang (9819 posts) - - Show Bio
@jdeluca2 said:
"cant wait  "
              Me either.
#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work!  He's pretty on the eye himself... Is he married? I bet he's married? :p

#9 Posted by Abjekt (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks freaking awesome!

#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Kadabra looks tight! =D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.