Johns Talks THE FLASH

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Earlier this week, you took my hand and I showed you some new Francis Manapul artwork from the new FLASH series. It takes two to tango on a comic - - writer and artist - - so, today, straight from the Source, we have some choice quotes from Geoff Johns regarding his plans for the series and his collaboration with Mr. Manapul.

So speaks Johns…

“Francis Manapul brings a renewed energy to the world of the Flash and in particular Barry Allen. We’re really looking at this book as taking place firmly in the present (unless the cosmic treadmill is involved) and moving the Flash, his supporting cast and the Rogues into the future. Francis is key to that… the energy he’s given the Flash… is undeniable. His Flash never stops. [And] you’ll have to be patient to see the other heroes and villains who tap into the Speed Force show up. There’s a story, a big one, but we won’t get there right away. I love long term planning and this is a book I have a story to tell. More will be clear in issue #1.”

“I love long term planning.” Now that’s the understatement of the decade, brother. Johns is like a prime minister with a five year plan. We’re just wrapping up BLACKEST NIGHT and the whole story’s really been brewing since the resurrection of Hal Jordan in GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH however many years ago.

“But what kind stories and themes can we expect from the Flash, Mr. Johns?” you ask, oh curious Comic Vine community.

So answers Johns…

“Barry Allen, for me, represents that optimism and forward thinking that reignited superheroes in the first place. Our approach to the book isn’t what a lot of people will expect, especially with that story title of the first arc - CASE ONE: THE DASTARDLY DEATH OF THE ROGUES. There are a lot of mysteries here and a lot of crimes to solve and crimes to stop. There’s an exploration of speed and what it does to us today, how we can succumb to it or be seduced by it. What do we have time for in our ‘busy’ lives? Are we really too busy we have to send text messages instead of calling someone? Or is it easier to keep in touch with our loved ones that way? Do we need more hours in the day or do we need to stop overfilling up the hours we have? What is speed? What is time? What does it all mean to us in our lives day-to-day and year-to-year?”

A resonant theme, I deem. My sisters are ten years older than I am, so I’m always comparing how my life is today to what theirs were when they were my age. Before cell phones, high speed internet, Facebook, twitter in the like… devices that are supposedly supposed to save time and increase communication. But have they?

Ponder this while speeding at 100 miles per hour in the Flash #1, oh rush-rush-rushing Comic Vine community. In the spirit of that, I have a NO-PRIZE for whomever COMMENTS ON THIS ARTICLE FIRST!!!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Fresh0133 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

A no prize huh?  Been a while since I heard that one, lol.

Sounds like a fun series though, I wa sorry to hear that the Wally West back up got dropped, but I guess there's always time for that later.

That said, if Geoff Johns writes it, I'll read it and likely love it.

#2 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fresh03: A No-Prize for Mr. Fresh 03!
#3 Posted by Fresh0133 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh, I feel like Stan Lee just acknowledged me on the letter page!!!  Lol.

#4 Posted by A Boy Named Art (32 posts) - - Show Bio

So first we had Coast City, then Star City ... how long 'til Central City gets put in the fridge?

#5 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that there is a plan to the whole Barry Allen/Flash storyline.  Someone has actually taken the time to tell a story and let it unfold at the same time, rather that push it through and cut corners.  Green Lantern is huge now, and will be for many years to come once again.  The Flash will end up with the same result.  This is where DC dropped the ball so many times before.  Helping characters evolve and establish themselves.  DC is currently on the right track and I am looking forward to what the future will bring to the rest of the titles, the got the right execs in place and people doing the work.  Marvel however I can't say the same for.  As I always say, there is way too much fluff in the Marvel universe right now.  I can see it is in the organizational stage right now as well.  Re-establishing the Avengers, Spider-man is heating up.  The corps characters being brought back to a little bit of reality after being so distant for so long, hence the result of such events as Civil War, Secret Invasion etc.  Let's hope that Siege brings prospective back to things.  I see Geoff Johns and Gail Simone and many others really making things happen for alot of titles.  Marvel needs to do the same.  Daniel Way is a phenomenal writer, Zeb Wells as well.  They need a corps of writers to bring the fluff and chaos back to cruise.  

Wally will not be forgotten, he will play a key role down the road for Barry at least a few times.  I can see Wally at some point joining the JLA.  It only makes sense and for Bart to go to the Titans, they are hurting a bit, and they need some juice to help that title out.  

whoooooooooooooooosh!

#6 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

Im picking it up.

#7 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sooooo looking forward to this!!!!! :D  
Francis manapul is such an amazing artist ! plus Geoff Johns is an a mazing writer! 
so this series is a MUST HAVE for me :P !!!!!

#8 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

I really can't wait! I'm really excited about seeing Manapul's take on the Rogues, and Geoff Johns is by far my favorite writer.

#9 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this, its gunna be great!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.