I have something to say about this whole Flash situation.

#1 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILERS FOR THE FLASH, AND JLA/JSA

SERIOUSLY.

Ok. They killed Bart Allen. After 13 issues, right? Stopping the new writer's run pretty short. As I understand it, the series wasn't recieved well at first, but it apparently gained some momentum later on, and was gaining a good fanbase. Now, this all seems pretty reminiscient of the Post-Crisis Flash situation, doesn't it? They kill Barry, and make Wally the Flash. Now, I was not at a conscious age back then, but as best I understand it, people were none-too pleased about the change. But DC was pretty adament about making change, and did what they wanted. Eventually, the masses accepted Wally, and most even applauded the change.

What this current situation says to me is that the current comic book industry as a whole can't seem to commit to one thing that they want to do. I'm not sure if this is due to an inablity to handle angry fans, or just that they can't make up their mind. In comparison to the Barry/Wally trade-off, this makes the industry look weak and almost malleable. It's extremely disappointing that so much is decided by the fans and that these peoples' visions can't be free to be created. Given, the creator's visions aren't always the best from everyone's standpoint, but that's how these thngs are decided. You see what works and what doesn't. But at least give it a shot. I almost have pity for the Flash writer. They just canned a job that he was apparently enjoying immensely, and one that many thought he was good at. But the people wanted Wally back. Doesn't the industry know by now that the fans can NEVER handle change? It shouldn't surprise them, and it certainly shouldn't affect what products that they want to put out. I understand that they have to make money, but this is a creative business. So by God, create what you want! Don't submit because the fans throw a temporary tantrum!

All that said, Wally is in fact my favorite Flash, and I will probably be buying All Flash.

#2 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

my favorite will always be barry even though when he died i was also not of consious age but my father did have his comics so i read them

#3 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's common enough to really make them look weak. I'm pretty sure something like this happened before, popular demand and sales forcing them to change their ideas.

As for the Flash, I'm pretty disappointed they killed Bart. I was starting to accept him, but oh well... Wally is still my favorite so I can't complain.

#4 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

It might not be the industry as a whole, because after all (and I hate to say it), Marvel has successfully shifted their status quo. I just see DC, very often and recently, succumbing to a lot of fan stuff. Personally, I think that 52's major success with the fans is what is impeding on Countdown. DC got confident, and now we have this weekly promotional garbage.

#5 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah the industry is falling fast and i think its gonna be a cataclysmic explosion that rocks the world forever

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.