Francis Manapul On The Flash? Yes Please!

Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Francis Manapul is an amazing artist.  When I heard he was leaving Adventure Comics I was a little saddened.  But the good news is he will be teaming up with Geoff Johns once again on a new Flash ongoing series.  Manapul will be on Adventure Comics through issue #6 (out in January).  Then Flash #1 will debuted with the first story called, "The Dastardly Death Of The Rogues."

The images that DC has shared with us were done before Adventure Comics.  Manapul will once again do his own inks and watercolors on the series.  I can't wait.  Question is, which Flash will it be?

#1 Posted by mv (1860 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like wally i think love the skecthes

#2 Posted by Portrait (4455 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Wally supposed to get a new costume in Flash: Rebirth? 

Either way, really nice sketches. I wonder what his Rogues will look like?

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Oooooooh pretty pretty eye-candy!!

#4 Posted by shugtastic (46 posts) - - Show Bio

the lightning around his midsection makes it look like it's wally.  and as for wally getting a new costume, i remember them saying that he WOULD get one, but i don't recall them saying that it would be within "Flash: Rebirth."  perhaps these sketches are of wally BEFORE he gets his new costume.
#5 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, these were done a before Adventure Comics even started.  He just did some random sketches.  I wish I could do that and have it come out so nicely.

#6 Posted by burr787 (2422 posts) - - Show Bio

Those look gorgeous.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not happy about him and Johns leaving Adventure Comics since it means that Superboy is leaving Adventure Comics as well but I'll still be picking this up since Manapul's art is so kicka$$ and who doesn't want to read more Johns stuff
#8 Posted by HaHaManHV (229 posts) - - Show Bio

oh god oh god oh god I love this. I wasn't sure about Manapul as the artist when I first heard he would do the Flash, but his has me 2000% sold on the idea and even more excited than I already was.

#9 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the artwork.

#10 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Very schway  

Looks like West to me since Barry and Wally and different lighting bolt belt designs.
#11 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh these are the freaking bomb!

#12 Posted by LastSon1027 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Wally which makes me wonder where is Barry?

#13 Posted by TheFlash29 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#14 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@LastSon1027 said:
"Looks like Wally which makes me wonder where is Barry? "

Way Johns is writing him (poorly) and the respect he has for the character?  I'm hoping Rebirth ends with Barry merging with the speedforce or else going into the future to live happily ever after again with Iris.
#15 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks flabtastic
#16 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow, these are gorgeous.

#17 Posted by CrimsonComedian (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy sh**
Why can't every comic artist draw like that?

#18 Posted by Om1kron (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

real fresh. 

#19 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

yes!

#20 Posted by Liam Bradley (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh hell fecking yes!!!! Manapul is one of my favourite artists and The Flash is one of my favourite characters. This is destined for win.

#21 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

yes yes yes yes yes

#22 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

He certainly seems well talented in facial expressions. Looks like some good things are coming for the Flash series.

#23 Posted by Mr.Starks (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Gorgeous
#24 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think his art is that good. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy to have him on a book I wanted to read and he's a cut above your average comic book artist but I prefer Howard Porter. 

Still, I'll take Manapul over Williams, Acuna, Semecks, Kuder or Kollins (who, while normally meh, had a style that really fit Rogues Revenge).  He'll be arguably the best Flash artist since Porter.  Van Sciver is about on par with him imo.
#25 Posted by mickeymayhew (230 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's Barry, otherwise what was the point of Rebirth?
#26 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@mickeymayhew said:
"I hope it's Barry, otherwise what was the point of Rebirth? "
What's the point of Rebirth in the first place? 

Well...I guess the point of Rebirth is so we can have Flash stories without the annoying kids.  It probably is Barry though.  I just remembered that Blackest Night takes place after Rebirth which means nothing overly bad can happen to Barry.
#27 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping for Wally, atleast an All Flash book

#28 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally or Jay please..I dislike Barry Allen.

#29 Posted by crazed_h3ro (995 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!! love this art it's like how i draw...Francis Manapul is my new favorite comic book artist
#30 Posted by dc-kid21 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT

#31 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

This might make Flash worth reading

#32 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

The tone and scenery of Adventure is so good after just two issues, I'm really sad to see them go for this.

#33 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

The waist says Wally West...
#34 Posted by iLLituracy (13494 posts) - - Show Bio

This dude is sick...

#35 Posted by WWHJD (1 posts) - - Show Bio

It's definitely Wally in the pics.  Like it's been said, they have different belt lightning. 

Both of them will be in the series though, and there's supposed to be a new speedster in it too. 

Then Kid Flash is supposed to come out a little bit after that.  

But first up is Blackest Night: Flash!  Which has an AWESOME cover, in case you guys haven't seen it!!!  

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=13582

#36 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I never even heard of this artist before now but really really great art.
#37 Posted by Shadow Sorcerer (65 posts) - - Show Bio

For the ones wondering, this was announced in Long Beach Comic-Con:

Other than the Outsiders news, the biggest news spilling out of the panel is that the new Johns The Flash title will be a 30-pager, with a Wally West "second feature" by Johns and Scott Kolins, who had a notable run with the character earlier in the decade. Wally West will be sporting a "new look."

That news led to this question: any plans to reprint more Flash material from the Johns/Kolins run? "No plans right now," Wayne answered, but like most things, it's a possibility down the line.

When asked what Wally West would now be called, post-Barry Allen's return — "there's Flash, and Kid Flash, is he going to be medium Flash?" — Johns pointed out that Jay Garrick has still been Flash all along. More Flash facts: the new speedster that Johns referred to in San Diego will be female.

from newsarama

#38 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@WWHJD said:
"But first up is Blackest Night: Flash!  Which has an AWESOME cover, in case you guys haven't seen it!!!     http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=13582 "

Thanks for completely ruining the ending to Rebirth, which is only half over. 

I mean, some of us already knew and I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't care but its still bad form.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.