Flash max speed?

#1 Edited by StreetFigther (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so I'm pretty sure this has been done before but i couldn't find the thread, even searching on Google. So if it has been done, just link me the thread.

Anyway I was wondering, sometimes I read that the flash runs at lightspeed, but sometimes i read that he is waaay FTL (once i've read that he was 13 trillion times FTL)

So, how fast can the flash run? Can he run at whatever speed he wants?

Oh and , I was wondering also, is it true that he outraced a teleporter? How long was the race??

Thanks.

#2 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@StreetFigther:

Fiction Physics: He's faster than light, but they didn't say the exact numerical value of his speed

physics: <SOL

#3 Posted by StreetFigther (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@GodDamnIronMan: So we don't know about his max speed?

#4 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Yupe, it has stated that he's faster then light...but didn't say by how much or an exact figure

#5 Posted by MonsterStomp (15809 posts) - - Show Bio

@StreetFigther: He had to travel 9.4 million times faster then the speed of light when saving a cities population from a nuclear explosion.

#6 Posted by StreetFigther (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterStomp: Wait... here it is stated that when he saved the 500.000 people from the nuclear explosion he was running at 13 trillion times the speed of light . Is it correct?

#8 Posted by MonsterStomp (15809 posts) - - Show Bio

@StreetFigther: I would take 13 trillion times the speed of light any day. The source I read assumed that he was carrying 2 people at once. I'll screen shot my source.

#9 Posted by MonsterStomp (15809 posts) - - Show Bio

@StreetFigther: Sorry. I couldn't find that source but I did copy the following statement I made some time ago from the same source.

"Speed of light = 186,000 miles per second (thats seven times around the equator in a second)

source - http://www.answers.com/Speed%20of%20light

Total distance flash travelled to bring one set of people to safety - 35 * 2 = 70 miles.

Therefore TOTAL distance travelled is - 70 * 250,000 people = 17,500,000 miles. (assuming he moved two people at once)

Time taken to do that was - 0.00001 microsecond (and 1 microsecond is 1 millionth of a second)

source - http://www.answers.com/microsecond

So time in seconds is - 0.00001 / 1,000,000 = 0.00000000001 seconds

So the speed, flash was travelling at was - 17,500,000 / 0.00000000001 = 1750000000000000000 miles per second.

So if the speed of light was 186,000 mile per second.

Flash was travelling at - 1750000000000000000 / 186000 = 9400000000000 times the speed of light.

Which is 9,400,000 million times the speed of light."

#10 Posted by StreetFigther (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Thank you!

@MonsterStomp: Ok !

#11 Edited by Zhege (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp The scan says he took one person and sometimes two. At two you're correct, but it wasn't just two. At the person who calculated 13 trillion he over-balled the population of 500k * (2/3) (for an average of half and half of taking one and two at a time). It should be 12.5 trillion (can be done using your math and substituting the amount of people for 333k). Not sure why the 13 trillion used 354k population, having some more carried single rather than double.

Edit: Edited population count to 2/3 instead of 3/4.

#12 Posted by cryos82 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a question, how is possible to carry people at this velocity whitout kill them?

#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15057 posts) - - Show Bio

@cryos82 said:

Just a question, how is possible to carry people at this velocity whitout kill them?

this is how:

#14 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@cryos82 said:

He probably vibrated them the same way he does himself so they just pass through stuff and as for whiplash and the like, we have to assume he has some sort of protective anti-inertia field. Most superspeed/blasting superpowers would require something like that.

#15 Posted by cryos82 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: often also in fiction there are some reason, like speedforce, ecc...

#16 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15057 posts) - - Show Bio

@cryos82: there might be a reason, but its probably not logical.

#17 Posted by KidCrew (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah engineering!!!
Sooo, 1 at a time I'll go through this in the most simplistic and non-convoluted manner I can while trying to maintain the science.
First let me say, the comic is really pushing it, and he needs to have 2 sets of powers (as well as the innate understanding of them due to the restraints of the speed control power) we don't ever hear mentioned for the atomic bomb event speed to be possible: Quantum mechanics/Relativity and an innate faculty to match the resonant frequency of anything not faster than he is on a quantum level- the minimal amount of physical entity required in any reaction.

But before that let's see something more realistic: In this episode (before he is attuned to the speed force)
y(without this)outube.com/watch?v=k9jZ_qcxivc
We see him go around the circumference of the earth in approximately 8 seconds shortest before his half second bursts, it is before he come in contact with the speed force and that means he traveled 40,075 km/ 8 seconds then 40,075/ .5 seconds (he hit Lex about 4 times in 2 seconds near the end) this puts him at ~1/50th to 1/3rd the speed of light before the Speed Force (B.SF), without doing quantum theory speed. (but attaining quantum level acceleration). He says "I can never go that fast again" (So i'll assume that is the fastest he was used to going for most tasks and with good reason.) We see that he abides by the known laws of physics(B.SF) and is slower than the speed of light for most tasks, which due to e=mc2 means his mass should remain stable.

BUT, we learn 2 things from Flash: Rebirth #4 (2009), "Barry created the Speed Force with lightning, chemicals, and forward momentum but the Speed Force also existed in every single time period and dimension" This is where quantum mechanics and relativity come into play...And probably the only application for something called Planck time which along with Planck length make up Planck units which we believe to be the smallest units of time and space. Meaning he has the ability to utilize all the subtleties of Quantum Mechanics(which no one in science truly understand) and that if he were to approach the Plank time, without gaining all the the mass of m = e/c^2 threshold (altered if something accelerates through c rather than goes at c and and accelerates from their (but this requires they no longer have mass)), time would be brought (relatively) to a stand still and that mass would be reverted into loose Higg's boson which would act on some form of Tachyon (maybe a neutrino if you believe in that sort of theory) that would allow for (if he also has a trans-matter flashpoint (a pun/wordplay) power ) him to change his quantum make up. This can be done in many ways: losing all his mass temporarily through being stripped of all his bosons(likely cartoon-wise), losing it permanently by becoming part of the fabric of time space(the most probable comic wise), or majgicks...just kidding... or a mix of the first and one of the dimensional theories which state that mass when not in particle form here appears elsewhere in particle form and vise-verse but gets complicated in multiverse (so mentioned because it's cool, i don't understand it enough yet ...my math skills still call it majgicks).

But then we throw in the time travel loop (forward AND backwards) there I get a lot lost... so that's all for now (in theory...very faulty theory).

#18 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

As fast as Flash needs to go is how fast lol.

#19 Edited by shadyways (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: YUP LOL.

The question should be, How fast does The Flash want to run?

#20 Posted by Lateralus (1446 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the big issue with the whole 13 trillion times faster than light Korean Incident.....it says not once, but twice in the issue that he is not even traveling at light speed. It's a time manipulation feat

#21 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: YUP LOL.

The question should be, How fast does The Flash want to run?

lol I know right? Heck, half the time he's trying to NOT go too fast....

#22 Posted by shadyways (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: yh lol. They even explain mention this quite often in dc media.

#23 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Gizmorino (274 posts) - - Show Bio

It was mention that he was below light-speed in the bomb explosion saving feats.

But how fast fast flash can go or his max speed is how fast he thinks he can go, he moves at any speed possible

#25 Posted by Gizmorino (274 posts) - - Show Bio

It was stated that he was below light-speed in that bomb explosion feat.

But how fast flash(wally, barry and bart) can go or his max speed is how fast he thinks he can go, he moves at any speed thinkable/possible

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.