Essential Flash reading?

#1 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to read more about the scarlet speedster, and a friend of mine recommended Wally West's volume (1987-2009). I decided to get the issues by comixology, but I came to a halt at issue 83, because they haven't uploaded issues 84-92.

So, while they update that volume, anything else? Ive heard great things about Geoff Johns run, can I read it without the ther issues? And anything else beyond Johns' run?

Also, any good stories featuring Barry Allen, since he's the current Flash?

#2 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#3 Edited by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio

Issues #0, 1-225 are all recommendable. The issues after those aren't really that good.
And yeah, you can read Johns' run without reading the issues before it, of course.
I saw you that you already read DC: New Frontier so you've got one Barry story down. There's the Brave and the Bold mini and the third volume of the Flash, and the later issues of the first volume of the Flash.
BB

#4 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Oh man, thanks a lot! I didn't think anyone would answer this questions lol

Im going to keep reading Wally's volume as the issues keep coming out in Comixology, hopefully they'll upload the missing issues soon. Also cool to hear that I dont need the previous issues before Geoff Johns' run

BTW, are Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge, Flash Rebirth and Blackest Night Flash good?

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio

@JLDoom:

No problem.
Yeah, Comixology uploads issues slowly at times but they'll eventually come up, hopefully. Also for a bit of an advice: if any series isn't done by one guy/team, you should be able to jump in anywhere.

Yes, Rogues Revenge is excellent, much better than the main event. Geoff Johns pretty much fixed the Rogues after the Fastest Man Alive. You could read it before Rogues Revenge if you're confused about some of the stuff but I wouldn't advise it cause it one was one of the worst things I read.

I stopped reading Rebirth at issue #4 or 5. It was just ok. It was pretty much introducing Barry after his death with some retcons.
Haven't read the Blackest Night tie-ins but heard they were cool and worth the read.
BB

#6 Edited by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: OK, thanks a lot again! And I'll definitely skip Fastest Man Alive, it never very looked good anyway

#7 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

This may seem a little obvious, but the New 52 Flash has been one of my favorite books. Very newbie friendly. Just in case you haven't started it already.

#8 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

This may seem a little obvious, but the New 52 Flash has been one of my favorite books. Very newbie friendly. Just in case you haven't started it already.

Oh don't worry, I have. That's the reason I'm interested in reading more Flash! Thanks anyway, it is a great book and it's one of my favorites as well

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.