Could the Flash family be getting too big?

#1 Posted by Wurl124 (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Jay is still active.   Barry has come back.   Wally is doing his thing.   Bart also came back.   Jesse is still with JSA.   Did I forget any active heroes who are or have been named Flash?

In addition, Wally was Kid Flash. Then Bart was Impulse.   But now Wally’s daughter is Impulse.   This is because Bart was Impulse but then became the Flash and died but came back and is now Kid Flash.  

So, is the Flash family getting too big?   My answer would have to be not yet.   There’s always room for another super-speed hero with ties to the speed force.

#2 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Max Mercury is back but Johnny Quick is dead and Jai West is depowered.

But if you compare it to the size of the Lantern Corp, the Super Family, or the Bat Family, it's actually fairly modest.  Since the "family" aspect has been entrenched for over twenty years (Impulse launched in 1990 and even before he arrived there was Jay, Jesse, Johnny, Max, Red Trinity, etc) I don't think there's any reason to think it's become overly large now.  And the solution is always the same if you have too many characters... just focus your story. 

The only time a big family is an issue is if you're trying to forward some sort of story point like "The Last Son of Krypton" or the isolation of being the "Fastest Man Alive", but DC has decided that those angles have had their season, for better or worse.  In the late 90s when Batman was at the height of his lone wolf mentality, isolation, and paranoia, I always found it ironic that he had probably the largest active Family at the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.