Can The Flash Survive in Space?

#1 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the topic says, can the flash survive in open space without a space suit?

#2 Posted by darkrein (353 posts) - - Show Bio

pre crisis could, don't know about modern version.

#3 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

only for the amount of time that a normal human could which is about a few seconds, but because of his speed that could be a few relative minutes

#4 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the writer. 

Scientifically, the way we breath is based on creating an air pressure differential due to the volume of our lungs.  However, air velocity at Flash-level speeds would create such a pressure differential that Flash could never actually suck in a breath.  You could interpret this two ways... one is that somehow his speed as an air scoop that takes in breathable air, slows it down, and then allows him to breath it in.  The other, and I think more concise answer, is that Flash doesn't really need to breath in the conventional sense.  Part of the reason you need to breath is to assist in the break down of chemicals to release energy to aid in locomotion.  There is not sufficient on-panel breaths or eating to excuse or explain the amount of energy Flash can output.  A mountain of burgers on a table is not enough energy to let a man go lightspeed.  So clearly, Flash subsists off of something else, later- we're told- it's the Speed Force.  So when Flash runs to the end of time when there's nothing (and likely no air), or runs into other dimensions where there's arguably not necessarily supposed to be breathable air, etc. and is still able to run it makes sense because the Speed Force... and not food, water, air... are sustaining him.  With respect to the temperature aspect of space, I think the general ruling is that Flash is resistant to temperature due to his ability to resist friction, his Rogues, and it was brought up recently when Flash was in the freezing heights of a mountain range.

That said... Flash is equal parts cosmic wonder and street level hero so thematically he's just supposed to be a guy who runs fast... so often times they may have him be completely mortal otherwise.

#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

In the first story arc of the recent Supergirl comic book, when Dark Supergirl was fighting with the JLA in their moon base, at one moment during the fight she had a race with Flash(Wally West) and they eventually went outside the base. As long as he was running he didn't realised they went out of the base but when he stopped running he nearly died because of the lack of oxygen. Unfortunately due to a scanner problem, I can't post this scan.

#6 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio

aha thanks for your answers guys :), so there is no clear answer? i mean some of you say that he would die, and some say he wouldn't somehow lol.

#7 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

DIdn't superman and Flash have a race through the galaxy?

#8 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:  heres the scan.

like i said before he can last a few seconds
#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: Thanks.
#10 Edited by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio

But how about the speed force? wouldn't it protect him from that??

#11 Posted by Demas (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
" @ComicMan24:  heres the scan.

like i said before he can last a few seconds "
Does anyone else here see a problem about relying on a scan that talks about the lack of air on the moon... while they're TALKING ALOUD to one another?  So there's all the air in the world for talking but... not... breathing?

Like Mainline says, it depends on the writer.  Here, a bad one.
#12 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not necessarily bad writing, just with different priorities (historical consistency not necessarily being on the top of the list) but that's a good point.  Supergirl should not be capable of speaking if there's really a vacuum and she wouldn't expect Wally to hear her.  Wally- assuming he knows he can't breath- would generally be smart enough not to run outside because he forgot that he needs to breath.  I'm pretty sure the scenery, the 1/3rd gravity, the fact that breaking open the moon base was a plot-point just a page before, and general self preservation would tend to keep that sort of thing in one's mind... but again, consistency with Wally's historical characterization isn't really paramount here.  If I recall correctly, this particular Loeb Supergirl arc has all but been retconned away by "Superman: New Krypton"... Loeb's works have their own entertainment value but DC's given up trying to keep them canon. 

In any case... here are some examples of Flashes dealing with space... first, Wednesday Comics Flash (non-continuity Barry), next Wally with Kyle, and finally Wally after the end of "everything" which I'm pretty sure includes a lack of air.  Again, it depends on the writer... someone emphasizing his mortality can let him suffocate but there are plenty of feats that would justify his survival in an airless environment too... there's nothing preventing Flash from simply turning intangible out of the reach of cold or hunger and subsisting on Speed Force. 

Finally the energy idea consistent with Kingdom Come Flash and 30th Century Flash

Where "flesh and blood... give way to... energy"... (again, not saying Flash must be portrayed that way, but certainly there is ample precedent for saying Flash is an energy being and not subject to the ills of space): 
#13 Posted by MrDirector786 (43582 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he can. But it seems it depends on the writer since they seem to have different interpretations.

#14 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" I don't think he can. But it seems it depends on the writer since they seem to have different interpretations. "

aha okay thanks :)
#15 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Demas said:

" @RedK said:

" @ComicMan24:  heres the scan.

like i said before he can last a few seconds "
Does anyone else here see a problem about relying on a scan that talks about the lack of air on the moon... while they're TALKING ALOUD to one another?  So there's all the air in the world for talking but... not... breathing?Like Mainline says, it depends on the writer.  Here, a bad one. "

FFS, Loeb, wtf? I feel dumber for just having read that. I am seriously annoyed now. Grrh. 

Sure Kara could dodge Wally, and while we're at it, Green Arrow can beat the Spectre
#16 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the Flash hardcores told me once he could outrun the negative effects by going fast enough 
from planet to planet, and apparently zipping right across space itself.   Whereas he couldn't just hang out
in space though. Seems logical, at least from a comic book type science stand point anyways, but i can't
say how solid that is. Speaking of though, I'm positive the Flash hardcores will hit this thread and fill you in
on every detail in existence.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.