Flash Gordon Movie Remake

Posted by inferiorego (21228 posts) - - Show Bio

Please watch this awesome Queen video about Flash Gordon while reading the article.

According to FirstShowing, Flash Gordon will be on the big screen once again! The Crazies director, Breck Eisner, who's been attached to the Flash Gordon remake, is now pushing to get this film off of the ground and getting it to the masses as soon as possible:

Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless are working on the script right now. We're on the second draft now. It should be in the studio in a month or two. I'm very bullish on it. But it's a giant movie and will take a long time to do.

The Flash Gordon comic, which debuted in the mid 30s, was about a man who was kidnapped and sent in a rocket to the planet Mongo by a crazy scientist. The Earth was being assaulted by meteors and the scientist wanted to find out where they were coming from in order to stop it. He ends up on Mongo and has numerous adventures and confrontations with Ming, the ruler of Mongo, and Queen wrote an awesome song about him.

Eisner wants this to be a big film and truly based off of the 30s comic strip, and not something that won't age well and will look cheesy in 10 years from now. He considers this a passion project. Not that interested? You should be. Many adventure films and characters were inspired by Flash Gordon, including Star Wars. Where do you think those famous opening Star Wars credits came from? Flash Gordon of course! There are many other comparisons along with this, but that's another article entirely. 

Sadly, we probably won't see this film for at least 3 years. We'll all just have to hold out breath... What do you guys think? Excited to see some more pulp favorites come to life?

~Mat Elfring (InferiorEgo) is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee and FLASH! AAAAHHHH!~
Staff
#1 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by inferiorego (21228 posts) - - Show Bio

The article is 100 times better if you play the song while reading.

Staff
#3 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

why dont you just emb a soundcode mp3 file to it?

#4 Posted by NightFang (9873 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time!

#5 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" The article is 100 times better if you play the song while reading. "
You aren't lying it's awesome while listing to the song
#6 Posted by inferiorego (21228 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart said:
" why dont you just emb a soundcode mp3 file to it? "
Because the video is also pretty sweet
Staff
#7 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

"A Error occured please try later" 

Youtube made your malevolent scheme fail!

#8 Posted by inferiorego (21228 posts) - - Show Bio
@Voidheart: still plays for me
Staff
#9 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!
#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make an updated movie they've gotta use the song again.
#11 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love this movie when I was little.  Tried watching it a year ago with my nephew and was utterly tormented at just how stupid it was.  Just wat to cheesy, but who ever played Flash could have been good for a lot of characters out there.  It's a good concept story,  and Id like to see what they're gonna do with it.
#12 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Woooo :D
I'll only watch it if Kellan Lutz has the staring role!

#13 Posted by OhTru (1583 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
" It's about time! "
It might be nasty

ScifiChannel/Universal got the rights to Gordon, they made a tv show many months ago. I got to see a few episodes and it was the biggest pile of s*%* I've seen ever
I know people said bad things about the shows Dollhpouse or Lost but the tv show Gordon really was the biggest pile of s%*%
#14 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the animated cartoon, will be looking forward to this.

#15 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Make the bad men stop.

#16 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!

#17 Posted by Aerik (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I can clip my toes nails with that song playing and it will seem exciting...

#18 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aerik said:
" I can clip my toes nails with that song playing and it will seem exciting... "
XD
#19 Posted by N15PCA (63 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

The eighties Mike Hodges adaptation of the Alex Raymond story is a stunning film, but its camp humor, written by Lorenzo Semple Jr., no less, turned off many of those media critic types. It has since become a favorite of comic movie adaptation fans. The soundtrack has its high points, too.

The animated Filmation adaptation is another recommended work with a noted memorable musical score.

It will be curious how they do this.

#21 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

The 80s Flash Gordon is one of my favorite movies. Pure sci fi fantasy fun.

#22 Posted by HarryF25 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

NATHAN FILLION! NOW

#23 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll patiently wait if it's gonna be done right. Not like that god awful sci-fi series. I did like what's his name from Smallville as Flash though. Everything else sucked.
#24 Posted by Darkmount1 (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

@goldenkey:

I just watched the film for the first time ever, and I have to say, it was a turkey, but at least it was a digestible turkey. I thought it was cheesy fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.