Flash Gordon

#1 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Who loves Flash Gordon? Who wants to see him in more comics or another movie and why? what would the premise be? Did you like the theme song by Queen?

#2 Posted by BrendanDeneen (9 posts) - - Show Bio

The second arc in our critically-acclaimed FLASH GORDON series starts in a few weeks!  FLASH GORDON: INVASION OF THE RED SWORD!   Woo hoo!!!

www.Ardden-Entertainment.com

#3 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Great. Thanks for reminding me of the existence of Flash Gordon. Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head for days. You must suffer also!

#4 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iron Apollo: All of the above, except perhaps for the movie. lol
#5 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio
@jotham I love queen and that song, you just made my day brighter, lol.
#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Hey Flash Gordon was one of the best purely cocaine inspired movies of its time
#7 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @Jotham: Hey Flash Gordon was one of the best purely cocaine inspired movies of its time "
well there was also the pulp magazines, comic strip, radio shows, and motion pictures of the 30's - 50's

but yeah
#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iron Apollo: I know all that but seriously someone involved in putting that movie together had to be on something
#9 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham, oh I agree completely that other things were involved, like cocaine, that's part of why I like that movie and the queen song, just wanted to give you a hard time, lol.
#10 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash Gordon is one of the greatest fictional characters of all time.

#11 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iron Apollo: @joshmightbe:

Some guy who commented on a Youtube vid playing the opening of the movie had this to say, and I think it might be true:

"The key to understanding this movie is this: I think everyone involved KNEW they were making a turkey, so they decided to have fun with it. They came up with an over the top tongue in cheek script, the most improbable cast possible, and music from Queen. If you're looking for "serious science fiction", even by Star Wars or Star Trek standards, you've come to the wrong place. But if you're looking for a fun way to kill a couple hours, with lots of quotable dialog, this may do the trick!"

I just watched the movie for the first time, and MAN it was cheesy as hell!! Here are my thoughts on it, counting down:

4. The SPFX weren't as good as those of the 1978 Superman, but WAY better than any shlocky action or sci-fi film from before 1978.

3. The score by Queen helps redeem this film--but only by a little.

2. The actors were all hams: Sam J. Jones (honey-cured), Melody Anderson (maple-glazed), Chaim Topol (Kosher cured), Brian Blessed/Timothy Dalton/Peter Wyngarde (Wiltshire cured), Ornella Muti and Mariangela Melato (prosciutto crudo), and Max Von Sydow (Jul Skinka cured).

1. This movie was so CHEESY AS HELL, it was fun to watch.

I give it 2 and 1/2 stars.

I also, a few weeks ago, saw Filmation's "Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All", and I have to say--it's a tad better than the movie.

My idea for a better animated series: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=60714

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darkmount1: I've got the cheesy movie and the entire Filmation cartoon series on DVD ( I love 'em both) and I've got to agree with you; the cartoon is better.

#13 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: If only they would release "The Greatest Adventure of All" on DVD....

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darkmount1 said:

@PowerHerc: If only they would release "The Greatest Adventure of All" on DVD....

I wish they would. I'd buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.