Follow

Flash Gordon

Character » Flash Gordon appears in 1860 issues.

Flash Gordon is a sci-fi hero from 1930's. An exceptional athlete and courageous man, Flash was dubbed "King Of the Impossible" due to many fantastic adventures and accomplishments including thwarting an invasion from the planet Mongo orchestrated by his arch nemesis Ming the Merciless. Flash Gordon was originally owned and published by King Features Syndicate and has since been licensed by several other companies for movies and comics.

Alex Ross Masterminds Flash Gordon's Return To Comics With Dynamite's Zeitgeist

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    Trapped between Ming and Hitler? That's... going to be tough to get out, Flash.
    Trapped between Ming and Hitler? That's... going to be tough to get out, Flash.

Dynamite has just announced that Flash Gordon is the latest classic American hero that they’re bringing into the 21st century with a shot of new blood and adrenaline. The new series, sub-titled ZEITGEIST, will be bowing this November with a script by Eric Trautmann, art by Daniel Lindro and the guiding creative influence of none other than Alex Ross, and the plot shakes out a little like this…

As Flash Gordon's story begins, it is a time of two-fisted swashbuckling, of fearsome threats and wild adventure-and of ever-growing threats on the horizon. Three valiant humans -- Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov -- are plucked from the Earth, traveling to the distant planet Mongo. Their exploits are legendary, battling the machinations and terror schemes of the dreaded emperor Ming, the All-Seeing Ruler of Mongo. But they did not fight alone! And coming up, witness a startling meeting with Ming the Merciless! With the fate of our world helpless, can even Flash Gordon save us?

Seeing as how Ross has stated on numerous occasions that Dino De Laurentiis’ extravagant FLASH GORDON movie from the 80s is his all-time favorite movie, it honestly felt like only a matter of time before he’d do his spin on the character for Dynamite. The man works on such an unfathomably-superlative level of character design, it’s been a real treat to see him revamp the looks of all these legendary characters like Buck Rogers and the Shadow at Dynamite in the same way he essentially re-designed the entireMarvel and DC universes in EARTH X and KINGDOM COME.

== TEASER ==

Of course, Trautmann has much to say his part of this new vision, thusly intoning…

I've adored Flash Gordon for as long as I've been reading, and the opportunity to play with Alex Raymond's material -- in a way I don't think has been done before -- is truly exciting. The Raymond strips were just so plot-dense, with a sense of 'anything goes' that I look for -- often unsuccessfully -- in contemporary comics. And, of course, several times a week, I check my e-mail, and find a dozen amazing pieces of artwork from Alex Ross; I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who has a greater understanding of the characters, or who harbors more affection for them, than Alex... He's an exceptional 'vision holder' for our tale.

Flash's return to pop culture at this particular moment feels especially timely. The shanghaied spaceman's adventures have had a profound influence on the entire face of adventure fiction that endures to this very day. Not only is STAR WARS' Emperor Palpatine directly inspired by Flash's foe, Ming the Merciless, but you can be sure that AVATAR's only the latest story to be inspired by this timeless tale of an American everyman thrust into a faraway alien planet's political intrigue.

November can't come soon enough, for sure. To make the wait a little easier, how about you maniacs give all the comics' spectacular alternate covers a gander below...?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Interesting stuff, Ross really does produce some beautiful art and indeed Earth X especially.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Oh man...I would LOVE to get this too. Gosh, Dynamite scores once again I say! So exciting!

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#3  Edited By MatKrenz

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O

Dynamite Entertainment continues to put materials that are of interest with characters and ideas I like but I only wished I could afford to get. Glad they aren't afraid to "run with the big dogs" and having Alex Ross involved sweetens the deal. Looks and sounds great!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone

Alex Ross and Dynamite continue to pay homage to the core of this medium The Shadow! Flash Gordon! Jack Kirbyverse! The Various forgotten Golden Age Stars! Green Hornet! Gives me a Pulpy Golden warm feeling. Ross is destined to leave behind a diverse and deep legacy of work that acknowledges the Importance of the medium and it's true essence. Bravo Dynamite!@MatKrenz said:

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tonis

oh man, I am SOOOOO stoked to see Ross doing this. A most definite MUST HAVE.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Or35ti

Ross is incredible. I always consider any book he touches. I've been trying to get a copy of the Kingdom Come trade for as long as I can remember but they ran out at my local comics store (Europe). I won't give up tho! It needs a place on my shelf right next to Marvels :)

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Outstanding, this I will be picking up.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Trodorne

FLASH! AHHHH OOOHHHH! Savior of the universe!
    Dynamite is picking up titles that I want to read but as long as we don't get people like Kevin smith on to do the writing where he only does the work when he feels like it.

rasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By rasx

Looking forward to this, I'm still a fan of the Flash Gordon comic strips!

FNspiderdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FNspiderdan

looks wonderful. cant wait

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mercy_

Sexyyyy

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Green ankh

OMG !!! i hope this is as good as it could be.....LOVE Flash and the 80's film !
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the creator

Well looking at the cover image you show above and then you say this, 

it’s been a real treat to see him revamp the looks of all these legendary characters like Buck Rogers and the Shadow at Dynamite  

If you look at the image of Flash shown above, it has some startling similarities to Doc Savage images as shown below, 

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By longbowhunter
    @Green ankh said:
    OMG !!! i hope this is as good as it could be.....LOVE Flash and the 80's film !

Agreed!
    KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    eric_trautmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eric_trautmann

Something not covered by the article: possibly the most fun I've ever had writing a script.  

Something else: the first issue is only a dollar (for a full-length, 22-page issue).  

Mr. Deneen is quite correct; Flash Gordon isn't really "returning" to comics. Certainly Dark Horse, Titan, Checker and his own Ardden Entertainment have kept Flash Gordon "alive" for quite a while.  

That said, I (immodestly) think our version will knock your socks off.  

-E

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By shawn87

I'm definitely getting this

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @BrendanDeneen said:

Flash Gordon isn't "returning" to comics this November.  We've been publishing the character since 2008.  Our current Flash Gordon comic book series has been praised by Publishers Weekly, Aint It Cool News, and many others.

FLASH GORDON: INVASION OF THE RED SWORD #4 (the 12th issue of our ongoing series) hits comic stores next week. After INVASION concludes with issue #6, we have two more six-issue arcs coming your way, THE VENGEANCE OF MING and KING OF THE IMPOSSIBLE!

--Brendan Deneen

www.Ardden-Entertainment.com
    ??? Who are you licencing Flash Gordon from? Ardden Entertainment is "Atlas"????
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

Is this out yet?

I have to pick it up!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.