Follow

Five Lights

Team » Five Lights appears in 172 issues.

Excluding Hope Summers, The Five Lights are the first five new mutants to emerge since Scarlet Witch's spell ceased all new mutations on M-Day. Each of the Lights successfully mutated after physical contact with Hope.

The Schism for Five Lights

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Edited By jordama
    Schism has been a odd little story to me. It is all (with the exception of Generation Hope tie ins) taken place in mini books, not the main titles. Half the books (Prelude) were about some mysterious force that was going to kill the X-Men and all mutants but we have yet to see what that really is.  

It could be Sentinels, but the Sentinel problem is almost laughable right now considering the Sentinels are so busted up and malfunctioning. We also see the new Hellfire Club which has been lacking to many.  

Schism has been pretty bad for Oya
     Schism has been pretty bad for Oya
    We have seen a lot of information about the ramifications of Schism as well. We know that the X-Men and peripheral teams are going to split under either Cyclops or Wolverine. The exact reason for the split has been kinda vague but has been said to be ideological in nature. This is creating a modern Magneto and Professor X dynamic. One possible reason for the split seems to involve one of the youngest mutants on Utopia, Idie "Oya"  Okonkwo. We have seen her interacting more with Wolverine and while it isn't the best image of her, she seems to be on the "Wolverine and the X-Men" cover. This is while the other Five Lights (Four technically) and Hope have sided with Cyclops.   

There has been a lot of controversy over the decision that Cyclops made to let Oya handle the Hellfire goons where she killed several, no civilians. while I don't want to debate the legitimacy of this decision, it has happened and I think it is more important to look towards her future. 

Oya is on Gold
          Oya is on Gold
    A few things that this really means. If the team continues to be the "Five Lights," we could see one of the new mutants/lights that Hope saves joining the Team. I don't know how people would take a roster change after a year of the series being published.  

Five Lights after Schism
     Five Lights after Schism
    Another little detail that no one has thought to much about is that the Five Lights are also experiencing the Schism on the smaller scale. How are the team members going to deal with Oya deciding to leave? I can already see some panels forming in my mind of Primal being sad and lying at Hopes feet like a dog, Velocidad making jokes that piss everyone off, Transonic over-analyzing what this means and saying how she should quit the team, and Zero making some weird cryptic comment. We have also seen the cover of Generation Hope 12 that has Hope looking like she has lost her mind. How is this separation going to affect her. This is the first time that a light has really gone against her to this extreme. We have already seen with the death of Zeeshan that a Light has a lot of effect on her. 

Generation Hope 12
    Generation Hope 12
    Lastly, will the "Four" Lights that remain with Hope be able to fight Oya in a battle? Could they attack the fourteen year old that they once thought of as such a good friend? will we see a "heartless" Hope that goes into warrior/soldier mode that views Oya as just another enemy?  

And all of this while Sebastian Shaw is working with them? The idea of liaison changing had come up before but never did I think that Shaw would be allowed to work with the Lights or Hope for that matter.  

So what are the Light fans thinking about how Schism will affect the team?  
    theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theicon

not a good time to be an x-fan, the rifts.........

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mutant God

I dont see Shaw as a liaison
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I just wanna see who this new light is in Gen Hope #17 before i consider collecting this again, Idie was the only reason i read this book.

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By KDarkholme

@AgeofHurricane said:

I just wanna see who this new light is in Gen Hope #17 before i consider collecting this again, Idie was the only reason i read this book.

Me 2. I dislike Hope.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I dislike idie, she's a moany little rat

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @spiderbat87: No she's not, at least not that way i see her, she comes from a place where having something like powers makes you a monster/demon/abomination, she has messed up morale's, what do you expect ? i for one love her.

I'd really like to see Generation Hope Post-Schism, thing's don't seem to be looking up for Hope. (poor girl)
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @spiderbat87: No she's not, at least not that way i see her, she comes from a place where having something like powers makes you a monster/demon/abomination, she has messed up morale's, what do you expect ? i for one love her.  I'd really like to see Generation Hope Post-Schism, thing's don't seem to be looking up for Hope. (poor girl)
    Ha take it you are a big fan of hope and the crew?
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @spiderbat87: I'm a big fan of the crew but Hope ? MUTANT ME$$IAH MY A$$ ! :D I just wanna see who this new light is before i consider picking this series up anymore. (and Shaw on the team ? UGH !)
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @spiderbat87: I'm a big fan of the crew but Hope ? MUTANT ME$$IAH MY A$$ ! :D I just wanna see who this new light is before i consider picking this series up anymore. (and Shaw on the team ? UGH !)
    It is a bit weird sounding with Shaw on the team but it P!ss's me off that they more or less forgot about the Young X-Men for the Five Lights
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @spiderbat87: Not even the Young X-Men.....every single Xavier Institute student Post M-Day (excluding Pixie) has been forgotten.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @spiderbat87: Not even the Young X-Men.....every single Xavier Institute student Post M-Day (excluding Pixie) has been forgotten.
    Its such a shame. After Schism I'll definitely get X Force and probably Uncanny X-Men but other than that it'l be mostly Ultimate stuff 
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jordama

@AgeofHurricane said:

I wouldn't say that.

Beak, Angel, Sofia etc made it to the New warriors for a while, the title failed.

Ernst and No-girl made appearances in several short stories that happen in the anthology books.

Quentin is back.

And most people think the Younger X-Men became a lot more interesting right after M-Day. Messiah complex is when they started being faded out. And even then, Hellion is mentioned constantly, had his big moment of killing Sentinel Omega, Bling! had a story arc, Indra had a story arc, as did Trance. Loa gets to be Namors buddy, Armor is in Astonishing, and Anole and Rockslide appear more than some characters that have been around for decades.

The reason that the younger students aren't around more is that they aren't brands like the older X-Men. The general public has no idea who the younger kids are so Marvel has no reason to feature them because Marvel is at the end of the day a business. The titles about the younger students have failed time and time again, so why would Marvel sink money int them?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @jordama: I KNOW all of that, but what have they been reduced to now ? background characters. New X-Men was a FANTASTIC series, it didn't fail, it got cancelled.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By fodigg

Oya overdoes it on the angst. I know, I know, how dare they make a teen book with angsty characters, I'm just so sick of it.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jordama

@AgeofHurricane: It was cancelled because the book wasn't necessary after Messiah complex, but was supposed to be replaced by Young X-Men which did fail miserably.

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By lady_toyano

@jordama: Hopefully a good thing that comes from this whole Schism is getting a lot of the younger X-Men more time to shine in an ongoing title. One can hope.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jordama

@lady_toyano: With WatX being about the School, and hints that the New X-Men that stay on Utopia are going to hanging out with the Five Lights, I am sure we will be seeing more students than in the past few years. :)

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By luckydomino1

transonic seems to hate hope so why did she stay on the team

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jordama

@luckydomino1 said:

transonic seems to hate hope so why did she stay on the team

I would say because

1) She still feels in Hope's debt because she saved her life.

2) She thinks she can help Hope

3) She still wants to help the future mutants even if it means that she is following Hope.

Sometimes you don't like your boss, doesn't mean you have to quit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.