What should they do with Firestar?

#1 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutant 
Spider-friend. (LQ2M) 
hangs out with random female heroes. 
Sort of doesn't Hate Pym, who helped her w/ cancer. 
Some obscure team (Young Allies?) that doesn't do jack other than keep getting their ass handed to them. 
 
Sincerely, Firestar either needs to be on the Avengers, New Avengers, or an x-team bad.  Maybe she's mad at Emma... she could join a Wolverine team...

#2 Posted by Kairan1979 (15740 posts) - - Show Bio

They should forget about Firestar/Justice romance.

#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers, I think Angelic's hate for Frost would really make it hard for her to be apart of any X-Men team. Plus I liked her time as an Avenger and just because she's a mutant doesn't mean she needs to be with the X-Men.

#4 Edited by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio

Firestar doens't hang out with random female super heroes, she hangs out with her best friends, Hellcat, Black Cat and Photon a.k.a. the Marvel Divas.

Firestar is not mad at Emma Forst anymore since Young Allies #6, In Onslaught Unleashed, Firestar revealed that Emma asked her to join Utopia but she declined.
 
Pym didn't help Firestar with her cancer. Back in The Avengers he only gave her a costume to control her powers (her powers were making her infertile).
 
Who helped her with her cancer was Doctor Strange and Night Nurse, but Hellcat made a deal with Hellstorm so he cured Firestar. 

In my opinion, Firestar should get back together with Justice and join Avengers Academy.

#5 Posted by AutodidacticLad (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Firestar as a part of the X-Universe. I agree, though, that her relationship with Frost would make that difficult, considering that Emma is in practically every X-book except Uncanny X-Force. Unfortunately I can't picture Firestar hanging with that crowd, even though her power would definitely come in handy for the kind of work they do. The only X-book I can see her in is New Mutants, which would make sense as she's the same age as most of the team and is on good terms with Cannonball and Warpath (is he even in that book?). However, her inclusion would seem kind of forced and redundant with Magma on the team. Yes, I know their powers are very different, but functionally they're similar..  
 
Anyway, I agree that Firestar's best bet currently is to rejoin the Avengers (even though I thought it a rather dull point in her career the first time...I hated all of the cancer nonsense and the fact that she was kind of just a background character with nondescript fire-powers).  
 
Perhaps after the restructuring of the X-Men teams there will be a place for her there (I hope!). I also agree that she and Justice should part ways and remain friends.
#6 Posted by Ouija (362 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she should join the X-Men and maybe grow close to Warpath, since they were both Hellions
#7 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe join Young Avengers

#8 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Firestar should never join the X-Men imo. I'm sure that's exactly what Emma would like for her, but Angelica hates her so she should just avoid that team to stick it to her.

I'd personally like the see her back on an Avengers team, but I'm not sure which team would fit her.

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

"Firestar should never join the X-Men imo", agreed!! It would be a mistake to lump her with the X-Men. That's why it's always been fun to see her grown & develop on non-mutant teams like the New Warriors. The Young Allies was a nice chance to see her work with other kids her age with similar problems (instead of the sudden random collection of so-called best friends whom she had never had anything to do with before). Angel deserves to be on another ecclectic team like the Warriors or Allies. I'd say Avengers Academy, except Justice is there... and they are so over that (I did like the way that Christos Gage handled their brief spat ;) She'd have been more use on the Academy staff than Justice as she can sympathise with those whose powers are killing them, being trained to be a killer, and having to put her health in Dr Pym's hands.

Moderator
#10 Posted by jhazzroucher (13929 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ouija said:

I think she should join the X-Men and maybe grow close to Warpath, since they were both Hellions

me too. I'd like Firestar to become an X-Men.

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11703 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown said:
Maybe join Young Avengers
isnt she too old......she is in her 20's correct? 
 
@jhazzroucher said:

@Ouija said:

I think she should join the X-Men and maybe grow close to Warpath, since they were both Hellions

me too. I'd like Firestar to become an X-Man.

fixed
#12 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

"Firestar should never join the X-Men imo", agreed!! It would be a mistake to lump her with the X-Men. That's why it's always been fun to see her grown & develop on non-mutant teams like the New Warriors. The Young Allies was a nice chance to see her work with other kids her age with similar problems (instead of the sudden random collection of so-called best friends whom she had never had anything to do with before). Angel deserves to be on another ecclectic team like the Warriors or Allies. I'd say Avengers Academy, except Justice is there... and they are so over that (I did like the way that Christos Gage handled their brief spat ;) She'd have been more use on the Academy staff than Justice as she can sympathise with those whose powers are killing them, being trained to be a killer, and having to put her health in Dr Pym's hands.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Avengers Academy (mostly because I haven't been reading it). I think that would be teh best place for her, since she has some familiar faces there. IIRC Speedball is there, isn't he?

#13 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

"IIRC Speedball is there, isn't he?" Yup! But so it Justice. I'd gladly replace him for Firestar ;)

Moderator
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

"me too. I'd like Firestar to become an X-Men." & "I think she should join the X-Men and maybe grow close to Warpath, since they were both Hellions" I'm very much of the opinion that she should never join the X-Men. Firestar has had connections with them in the past (Cannonball was her first kiss, and she even tried to help Warpath when he tried to torment & assassinate Xavier) but it's better that she is one of the few mutants who don't wear an "X". I think being an X-Man would take away a lot of her independence (family life with her father, college life, etc). I'd prefer it if Warpath left the X-Men & joined his old friend in New York. That way he could assist Angel in any team she's on, Terri, Ric & Shatterstar in X-Factor, etc...

Moderator
#15 Posted by PolarisJunkie (99 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Firestar should join the X-Men either although I think the story ideas that can be spawned between her and Emma on the same team could be really interesting. Firestar is way too in her own skin and completely self reliant though.

#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading Avengers Academy last night, I've given up on my idea of her working with them. Although Justice is no longer with the Academy (neither is Speedball, sadly) they moved to the wrong side of the country for Angel to help them. Ah well. But something like that would have been a nice way to improve her character. I guess in the meantime the best she can do is graduate from college (something that even Kitty Pryde hasn't managed to achieve).

Moderator
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

Well we know she's not going to be an actual Avenger because apparently after the Pym's Mighty Avengers was no longer a team it became ok to put people on the Avengers just because they are popular that month or because Bendis is infatuated with them or because he's actually responsible for creating them (Jessica Jones). I would love to have seen her on one of their 3 teams. I don't know what they should do with Firestar but I'm sure their find some way to drop her relevance to the point that she disappears like Silver Sable.

Moderator
#18 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a shame that the editors view her as a junior character, when she's been around for so long & achieved so much. I have to admit that Firestar is the only reason I want to get ahold of the "I Am An Avenger" mini series.

Moderator
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

I've tried to read Avengers Academy but I feel like they made a mockery of Speedball,Justice,Firestar,and Pym. They should have stuck with Initiative. It was a less stupid Idea. Firestar was an active Avenger on a small team Avengers in Volume 3. Now she's just being neglected. What they thought she was going to get a buzz by being in that god awful "Marvel Divas" book with the corny sex in the city knockoff dialogue and the story pretty much being only about the fact that Firestar had cancer? Or maybe they thought someone who is pretty much a veteran hero would fit in on the Young Allies? Another God awful book.....

Moderator
#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

I've managed to get hold of Marvel Divas (again, only because of Firestar) but haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet. Mainly because I DON'T like Sex in the City & that whole "4 random female heroes are now suddenly BFFs" routine annoys me. The fact it centred on her cancer only further saw to neglect the work that had been done on her in the Avengers. But I have to disagree with you about Avengers Academy & Young Allies. I really enjoyed those titles. Speedball has managed to finally get passed the whole "Penance" mess, and the brief fight betwen Firestar & Justice wasn't bad (it wasn't great, but it was some attempt to address that they had a past together). And I know you hated Young Allies, but it was cancelled too soon. The last issue was a Firestar issue, and I liekd the way she came to accept Emma Frost as someone other than the 'Wicked Witch of the X'. It was growth for her... as opposed to a cheap attempt to recreate a bad TV series with super powers.

Moderator
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox_kitty said:
I've managed to get hold of Marvel Divas (again, only because of Firestar) but haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet. Mainly because I DON'T like Sex in the City & that whole "4 random female heroes are now suddenly BFFs" routine annoys me. The fact it centred on her cancer only further saw to neglect the work that had been done on her in the Avengers. But I have to disagree with you about Avengers Academy & Young Allies. I really enjoyed those titles. Speedball has managed to finally get passed the whole "Penance" mess, and the brief fight betwen Firestar & Justice wasn't bad (it wasn't great, but it was some attempt to address that they had a past together). And I know you hated Young Allies, but it was cancelled too soon. The last issue was a Firestar issue, and I liekd the way she came to accept Emma Frost as someone other than the 'Wicked Witch of the X'. It was growth for her... as opposed to a cheap attempt to recreate a bad TV series with super powers.
I wish they never tried to address the whole "Firestar & Justice" relationship thing.
Moderator
#22 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

It's a shame that the editors view her as a junior character, when she's been around for so long & achieved so much. I have to admit that Firestar is the only reason I want to get ahold of the "I Am An Avenger" mini series.

That's another problem I'm having. While I appreciate that they're legitamately trying to use her, it's not the direction she should be going. I mean, she's significantly older than the Young Allies she's working with. Granted, she's younger than Iron Man, Ms Marvel, and other senior heroes, she's still old enough to be in their league of heroes, like Kitty Pryde.

#23 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like more of her. I don't feel the brass is trying to put her down actually, even if it may seem that way. They have done a great deal to both

keep her in front of the readers eyes. I'm thinking she must just have a hard time pulling in numbers nowadays, likely has since Amazing Friends

went off the air and her heavy sponsorship from it faded into nostalgia, putting her on the back burner to more popular characters. In other words

they do seem to be shopping her around and fishing for more bites, but if they haven't put her on a more prolific team or in her own title there's

likely a decent reason for it in the numbers. But to their credit in the end they're still devoting time.

#24 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I definitely agree that they're trying to do something with her. Hence her appearance during Fear Itself (although Youth In Revolt was a bit... of a let down). I really do hope the marvel hero editors can figure out where she belongs soon.

Moderator
#25 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I was not aware that being in your 20's implied being old.

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11703 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I was not aware that being in your 20's implied being old.

lol, its not old but a bit to old for the young avenges imo
#27 Posted by cowtron_2000 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Firestar join the X-men, specifically Cyclops current team, pretty much to back up Storm in keeping them honest, helping make a seemingly dodgy team seem legit and of course to keep an eye on Emma. She could help fill the sort of role Shadowcat in the Emma/Kitty dynamic that was in Astonishing X-men. But maybe not as bitchy, but more as the person to question Emma in what she says and does. A jab here and there but mostly a "I'm watching you" sort of thing. I wouldn't want her to stay too long though. She deserves to be mainstream though. Same with Monica Rambeau. They are pretty tough chicks, would be great to see them kicking some ass somewhere. Why not have them as Avengers? Teaching in Acadamy or fighting in Avengers.

#28 Posted by Strider92 (15252 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of complete curiosity, did she ever find out Ben Reilly was killed?

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.