Follow

Firestar

Character » Firestar appears in 1049 issues.

Trained to be an assassin with her microwave-manipulating mutant powers, Firestar instead grew to be a popular hero. A key former member of New Warriors, now member of the X-Men.

Firestar's cancer

p3t3r133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By p3t3r133

Has it been pointed out that microwaves cant cause cancer? Its a non-ionizing radiation (that means it doesnt damage dna). I just thought of this today doing physics homework and Im kind of surprised I couldnt find anyone mentioning this online

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I think it should be pointed out that you're trying to apply real world science to comics...

p3t3r133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By p3t3r133

Im perfectly okay with the stretches they will put science through to make comics work. I just think when its dealing in the realms of the mundane sciences they should be a little careful. This mistake is more due to a common misconception then to intention. Hulk absorbs gamma radiation and get super strong (the radiation that causes the most cell damage)? Cool I can accept that, its what makes comics work. I'm not trying to argue it or anything, its just something I realized and no one in the room Im in even knows who firestar is.

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Soulstealer

@p3t3r133 said:

Im perfectly okay with the stretches they will put science through to make comics work. I just think when its dealing in the realms of the mundane sciences they should be a little careful. This mistake is more due to a common misconception then to intention. Hulk absorbs gamma radiation and get super strong (the radiation that causes the most cell damage)? Cool I can accept that, its what makes comics work. I'm not trying to argue it or anything, its just something I realized and no one in the room Im in even knows who firestar is.

I'm thinking it's less that you're annoyed by this, as such that you subconciously feel that you need new friends. It might be a consideration.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @p3t3r133 said:

I stopped trying to apply real world science to anything in comics because I can clearly see from alot of what's written that most people who write these stories aren't trying hard enough to make things make sense.Microwaves causing cancer may be a common misconception but I think writers know that the average reader doesn't know that.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

Firestar's cancer risk was covered in the early 90's.

She has got nothing to worry about.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @PowerHerc said:

Firestar's cancer risk was covered in the early 90's.

She has got nothing to worry about.

She had cancer in Marvel Divas.It was seemingly cured by her ex-husband, Hellstorm.
    Jtoma84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jtoma84

It wasn't Firestar's ex-husband, it was Hellcat's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.