Brazilians are not (just) white

Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, I know that there are some Caucasian Brazilians, so don't get your thongs in a knot. Ya know, with DC and other companies going batty(lol) over forced diversity, such as characters like Morgan Edge and Etta Candy being black to Cyborg being forced into the JLA Big 7 instead of John Jones, you have to wonder: why is Fire still white? Brazilians are usually indigenous(native americans), blacks, Caucasians, Asians, or a mixture of one or more. So with all the diversity, why not have a mixed or Native version of Fire? Would it not make sense?

#1 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it matter? I think that they're only doing the "race change" with lesser known properties.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire is white?

#3 Posted by CapFanboy (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Fire is white?

I always thought it was red/orangey

#4 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to wonder what people are actually thinking when they create these threads to bring up topics no one thought about before because of the simplicity of the arguments that never happened in the first place. It's like reasoning with the Hulk. Hulk smash thread.

#5 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

There's an interesting thing about how American people see Brazilian people, an d we can say this throught comics: Brazilian always have "DaCosta" as a Last Name; If the character is male, he has to be related to soccer or other sports; If is female, the only important thing is the body and the tiny, tiny clothes. I'm Brazilian, and I just laugh when I see this. Well... If the american writers want to work with brazilian characters, the best thing to do is study really hard to know about brazilian people! I'm sure that most of people keep thinking that our language is spanish!

#6 Posted by Joygirl (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

Portugese. ^_^ *is smart* And I generally associate brazilians with capoeira and eating spiders, even though I know the latter happens in Cambodia.

#7 Edited by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Forget about the last thing, Joygirl.

We have big trouble related to our financial and social development, but we are so civilizated as you! :D

PS.: Sorry if I can't express so good... My english is really bad! ;)

#8 Posted by Joygirl (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, like I said, I know the spiders thing is Cambodia. But probably because I associate Brazil so strongly with giant spiders in the first place, the ideas bleed over. So, yeah, in my tiny, inexperienced mind: Brazil = fancy dance-kicks and spiders. Sometimes dreadlocks enter the equation but not as often.

#9 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm laughing a lot here, Joygirl!

Well... Whatever you wanna know about Brasil, I'm here to help.

I don't know everything, but I will be happy if I can share what I know!

I love my country!

#10 Edited by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, I actually like the fact she's white because it breaks the stereotype that Brazilians are only black or indian like ¬¬. You know, there's so much variety here that she could actually have ANY physical type and we'd recognize her as Brazilian. I think making Latin American characters white and US/European characters black would be more representative for minorities. Cause blonds are a minority here almost the same way black people are a minority there.

If they changed her, though, I'd rather her to be tan, carioca like, cause it's the type Brazilian women associate better with. THOUGH she has green eyes AND hair...if she was tan or black she'd look like a TREE XP

#11 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm I associate Brazil with hot brown women.

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9644 posts) - - Show Bio
@X9: Watch the racial slurs, first warning.  
#13 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

As a type, I have to say I associate US with blond people, but the most famous US characters around the world have brown or even black hair. (Spider Man, Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan, Cyclops). They don't represent the stereotype most people have of US population and I guess most people are perfectly ok with that :)

And I'm done talking about it.

#14 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9: The only Brazil we see in the US is the beaches and the beautiful people. Be it tourism commercials or fliers. We don't see the slums or the bad parts.

#15 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

: I wasn't being racist, I'm black and my mother is white, for God's shake! I don't have problems with any "racial" type ¬¬

I was just saying that it's not wrong to have a white Brazilian/ Mexican/ Peruvian character. As well as it wouldn't be wrong if she was black, asian or indian. Read what I wrote above, that's what I was trying to say...

Anyway, sorry, I think I expressed myself in a wrong way :(

#16 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

@X9: The only Brazil we see in the US is the beaches and the beautiful people. Be it tourism commercials or fliers. We don't see the slums or the bad parts.

Ok...but what does it have to do with the whole topic?

Nha, nevermind, pal. I think this thing is going too far and some of you will end up misunderstanding me...

Let's end it here, ok? I think I made my point already.

#17 Edited by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9: No you are right I wandered. Sorry. I am just saying we only see a very small portion of the country so we make an opinion based on that sliver of info

#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just merge her with Starfire, really I don't see the purpose of the character, other than to be "HEY LOOK BRAZIL HAS A HERO TOO!!!1111!!"

#19 Posted by hyperman (391 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9 said:

Hey, I actually like the fact she's white because it breaks the stereotype that Brazilians are only black or indian like ¬¬. You know, there's so much variety here that she could actually have ANY physical type and we'd recognize her as Brazilian.

I've got to say you're totally right, buddy. I'm from Chile , a country located in South America. There's a lot of physical type variety here. We aren't only dark-skinned or aboriginal people, take a walk around one the capital cities in any latin country, and you will find: blondes, brunnettes, read-heads, and so forth. By showing a dark blond Fire in comics, you will be helping to break molds and stereotype 'bout how latin people are, or how they look like! =D

#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire is wack anyway.

#21 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

They should just merge her with Starfire, really I don't see the purpose of the character, other than to be "HEY LOOK BRAZIL HAS A HERO TOO!!!1111!!"

Honestly, I think you can be rigth, because, as a brazilian man, I don't think Fire is a genuine brazilian character. The people who created her doesn't know anything about brazilian culture, so the result is this: a woman with super powers but no identity!

By the way, I think it is a really interesting thing. I read 52 series and I see Fire's appearences there, and it made me happy. It was really good to see her, in an important story, acting with the famous super heroes... This is a sign (for me, of course) that the writers think she has something special.

#22 Posted by BlackWind (6388 posts) - - Show Bio

Brazilians are ridiculously diverse in looks and race. I always assumed Beatriz was Latina.

#23 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

Brazilians are ridiculously diverse in looks and race. I always assumed Beatriz was Latina.

Why "ridiculously"?

#24 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@Capitão Sicron: he's not using the word literally. He's saying they are very diverse

#25 Edited by BlackWind (6388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Capitão Sicron: I've mistook Brazilians for being many other races/ethnicities before being corrected, I mean. Sorry for the confusion.

#26 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

No problem. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.