gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Matt Fraction may be stepping out but the heart and essence of the characters remains intact. Lee Allred joins Mike and Laura Allred and there's non-stop fun.

It's been said before. Despite the quirky nature of this book and the characters' behavior, there is still quite a bit of darkness seeping under the surface. Scott Lang is a troubled man. He is still suffering from the loss of his daughter. Doom's hold over Alex Power is sad (even if he was a jerk and brought it upon himself). The addition of Adolf Impossible to the Future Foundation kids adds another player to the book and with Maximus the Mad, the alien Julius Caesar and old-man Johnny Storm, there really is no telling what will happen next.

The art and color are phenomenal. It perfectly enhances the mood of the book and regardless if the tone is upbeat or seriously dire, you can't help but feel good looking at it.

The main thing is this book is a joy to read. Even with Doctor Doom scheming his evil plans, you almost get a warm feeling. There aren't many books that can make you laugh or chuckle that aren't pure satire. This is a serious superhero book that happens to be fun and entertaining with humor at all the right moments.

The Bad

Nothing bad. This is likely my favorite comic of the week.

The Verdict

Who would have thought reading a superhero comic could be so much fun? While this is a serious book with Scott Lang trying to deal with the death of his daughter and his hatred for Doom, there are still so many opportunities for humor to jump out at you. With Lee Allred taking over from Matt Fraction's notes, he clearly makes a great addition to the team of Mike and Laura Allred. I can't get enough of this book. There are so many characters in this title yet they all get just the right amount of "screen time" to make you appreciate each and every one of them. We need more comics like FF.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BR_Havoc

I adore this book! Every issue leaves me with a smile on my face and in the dark gritty comic world we live in that is sadly rare.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'll try to read this later.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@br_havoc: By in large I'm not much on the lighthearted stuff, but this and lil Gotham brings me joy month after month.

What was Darla's deal? Calling Scott a jerk after spilling coffee down his leg. That's an instant mood killer in anybody's book.

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By skyjumpermike

I think the art and colors, which I love, could be misleading at times. I think they make you think of a goofy lighthearted book, which it is, but it is also a nice mix of darkness and real heartfelt moments.

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Allred, you are amazeballs

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This book is unbelievably good. This is possibly the only ongoing title that can tickle my funny bone, tug at my heart strings, and leave me in suspense all in one go. Adolf is already a brilliant addition to the FF family. The work from the Allred's is just spectacular. One of the best books on the shelf period.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SimonM7

I'm physically hopping around with happiness that this book "survives" the departure of Matt Fraction. I basically held my breath between the last issue and this one, prepared to scrutinise it for any drop in whimsy and/or delightful dialogue. I haven't read it yet, but this glowing review has me breathing again. :D

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By nappystr8

Every week this book gets better and better. I wouldn't even think this would be the type of book I would enjoy, but there is some indescribable magic that goes on here. Lee Allred is preserving that magic, and even adding to that magic, perfectly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.