What the hell, Marvel?

• 72 results
Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I read the same comic that everyone else did? Because Fear Itself #7 was one of the dullest issues I've ever suffered through in my life. Is a company-wide event supposed to have an ending so incoherent and anti-climatic? Spoilers ensue. 

First Tony returns from Asgard with his shiny new weapons for the Avengers to wield. He hasn't made a weapon for Cap because, get this, it's impossible to improve on Cap's shield. 
Seriously? Seriously? You expect me to believe that one of the best engineers on the planet could create a weapon in a divine forge, have that weapon imbued with power from a skyfather, and it would still be inferior to a piece of tech from the 40's that was shattered not 3 issues earlier?  
It's a statement so ridiculous that hardly anyone reacts to it. Off to battle, then! 

The actual war is like something from Michael Bay's wet dreams. There's explosions and people screaming at each other, but nothing makes sense and it's not supposed to. Odin meets his brother and says "Brother of mine, brother of mine...." and the Serpent shrieks "You took what was rightfully mine!". This was supposed to be a dramatic stand-off, I assume, but all I could think was "Hey, that rhymed!".  

When the Mighty arrive, Cap yells "Hold the line, Avengers! Show them how it's done!". I felt sorry for the man. He looked so helpless without his shield, a mere gun in his hand to fight gods with. He deserved better. Marvel has spent the last 6 months showing off how deadly the Worthy are supposed to be, and now in a few panels they're easily dismantled by the Mighty. After all that trouble, they're also-rans. What's the point? 

The main event is, of course, Thor's battle with the Serpent, who has transformed into (you guessed it) a giant serpent. Real subtle, Fraction. They don't even try to talk like non-stereotypes. Thor yells "Villain!" and flings Mjolnir at the Serpent, who says "You think it's that easy?". Meanwhile, Fraction decides to tug on our heartstrings by having an honest-to-goodness Normal Guy help Captain America out of the rubble, explaining "Someone's got to stand up for the town." Then Cap, for reasons unknown, is suddenly deemed worthy enough to pick up Mjolnir and shout "Avengers Assemble!". Where did that come from?

It's.....it's almost like Marvel has a movie coming out next year or something.  

Back to the big fight. The Serpent tells Thor "You're too late to save Earth" to which Thor replies "You don't know what they're capable of", of course. Then they continue slapping each other around. This is the kind of action that needs to be drawn out and better structured, not stuck into 3 or 4 pages as an afterthought. It makes most of the Worthy feats from the last 6 months seem kinda irrelevant now. They just get whipped without a chance to even put up a decent fight. 

Two major deaths occur, both equally retarded: First the Serpent, the villain who terrorized Earth, forced Odin to consider razing the planet, spread havoc and generally pushed the heroes of Marvel around for half a year, is killed by Thor. How? Thor slams the sword of Ragnarok into his skull, and he keels over dead. That's it. That's all it is.  
And then Thor, for reasons unknown, collapses in Odin's arms and dies. Why? He took a couple of blows from the Serpent but they didn't look like anything he hasn't tanked before. He just....dies. And thus the battle is over. 

The worst part by FAR is Thor's funeral. The heroes of Earth build a pyre, and then they burn Thor's corpse.  

What the hell, Marvel? What sense does any of this make? First Odin kicks out all the gods of Asgard so that he can stand watch over his brother's body for eternity. Why? Who the hell knows?  
When Cap died, they had the entire Fallen Son arc to commemorate him. When Spider-Man was thought to have died in The Other, the heroes all moped around and tried to console Mary-Jane. Even Nightcrawler got a better funeral than Thor did. And worst of all, during the funeral Cap says "We'll rebuild Asgard. Manhattan. The world." Thor is dead and the best Marvel can do is a speech asking the Avengers to believe in themselves? Isn't this guy supposed to be one of their A-listers?  

And then Iron Man hands Cap his shield back, almost as good as new. How is this possible? I was under the impression all the vibranium in the world had been destroyed. Do you care about continuity at all, Fraction?

Fear Itself #7 isn't Marvel's way of spitting in your face. It's Marvel's way of hitting you in the face with a brick, kicking you while you're down and then taking a long piss over your unconscious form. I can't believe I spent money on this. 

/rant.

#1 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Wow. You said everything i wanted to about the issue. So many things didn't make sense. The pacing was horrible.  The worst issue of the whole event by far -__-
#2 Posted by Renchamp (2925 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes me glad I don't follow the Avengers. Yikes. The event intrigued me, but this may sway me to steer clear of the trade.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58271 posts) - - Show Bio

*keeps on reading Vertigo
BB

#4 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

BB

That's a staple. BTW can you recommend something from Vertigo to read? I've already read Lucifer, The Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Preacher and most of Hellblazer and Swamp Thing.
#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58271 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

That's a staple. BTW can you recommend something from Vertigo to read? I've already read Lucifer, The Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Preacher and most of Hellblazer and Swamp Thing.

Scalped, Fables, Sweet Tooth, DMZ and Northlanders (this one is going to get cancelled next year though :/ ). They're current and great.
BB

#6 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Scalped, Fables, Sweet Tooth, DMZ and Northlanders (this one is going to get cancelled next year though :/ ). They're current and great.
BB

Thanks. I've read some of Fables. I'll check out DMZ and Scalped first.
#7 Posted by karrob (4283 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont disagree with anything but hasnt Cap always been worthy to lift Mjoinir?

#8 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha, I can't believe anyone bought the first issue, let alone stuck around for seven of them

@Billy Batson said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

it's not getting cancelled, it (and DMZ) are ending naturally...Brian Wood's just moving on from DC so his books are ending

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (58271 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost:

oh, I misread it...
Brian moving from DC...I don't like it.
BB

#10 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
Wow. You said everything i wanted to about the issue. So many things didn't make sense. The pacing was horrible.  The worst issue of the whole event by far -__-
This issue was as bad as the last issue of Siege, imo.
#11 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
#12 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't bad, it was dull. And in some ways that's even more disappointing.

#13 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
Possibly. 
#14 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Can someone tell me what exactly killed Thor? -___-
#15 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
DESTINY
#16 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
DESTINY
It was his destiny to die, but destiny itself can't kill people. What was Fraction thinking?
#17 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Keeps on reading Invincible.

seriously i knew never to pick up this feat itself crap from the moment it was released. I mean after Chaos war ended just this march

#18 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally agree 100%, I was so let down. The writing was so forced and trite, the "funeral" for Thor was weak. The action for the final part of a huge arc was less than thrilling. Boo. And hiss as well.

#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
Nothing is worse than the last issue of Siege. 
#20 Posted by President Stark (84 posts) - - Show Bio

If people keep reading stuff like this. Marvel isn't going to step their game up. Every year they move into a new event and it sells amazing #'s. So to them it looks like we like this nonsense. All of their events have been garbage accept World War Hulk,House of M,Civil War.

#21 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
Have you read the last issue of Fear Itself? Prepare to shocked :P
#22 Posted by President Stark (84 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
The last issue of Siege is just as bad.
#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
Unless the key message of Fear Itself is "Kill the Mentally ill", Siege is still number one =P
#24 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
@CitizenBane said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
It was way worse, imo.
Unless the key message of Fear Itself is "Kill the Mentally ill", Siege is still number one =P
Let me know what you think if you ever read it :P
#25 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't they just return Thor from the dead like last year? So they kill him, bring him back, then kill him again not long after. And the most RETARDED part of all is you know, we ALL know, Thor's going to come back eventually and kick ass like nothing happened.

If you're gonna kill him, kill him permanently, not try and pull a half-assed "Superman death" thing.

#26 Posted by President Stark (84 posts) - - Show Bio
@Godslayer1090 said:

Didn't they just return Thor from the dead like last year? So they kill him, bring him back, then kill him again not long after. And the most RETARDED part of all is you know, we ALL know, Thor's going to come back eventually and kick ass like nothing happened.

If you're gonna kill him, kill him permanently, not try and pull a half-assed "Superman death" thing.

I think Quesada stated that someone would die every year.
#27 Edited by Enzeru--defunct (2923 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:

And then Thor, for reasons unknown, collapses in Odin's arms and dies. Why? He took a couple of blows from the Serpent but they didn't look like anything he hasn't tanked before. He just....dies. And thus the battle is over. 
The worst part by FAR is Thor's funeral. The heroes of Earth build a pyre, and then they burn Thor's corpse.  

Hahahaha, yeah - That's the part I was searching for.
I was so confused, it's not even funny anymore. I instantly got few pages back and tried to realize if I didn't miss something. I was wondering for quite a while if he was dead or not. Then I also realized that Spider-Man was talking about burning Thor's corpse.

I never intended to make such a thread - I instantly started flaming my girlfriend, because the entire comic was so fucking stupid, so blunt, so shallow, so everything. I hated everything about it, just like I hated the entire Fear Itself. It started off good with the moments where the people were afraid of themself, for their families and so on. It was good, but then? Asgardian gods..? Giant hammers which boosted losers into superpowered brickhouses? 

And then Fear Itself #7 ... I mean ... I mean ... Even Siege #4 was better.
The Marvel events are going downhill rapidly.

Of course I also knew that they're going to explain more of the Fear Itself #7 story in other comics in the next weaks, but still ...
Uhm, they are going to explain it, right? They have to. I think I saw teaser pictures where they will show more about Thor's funeral and so on.

But still, who actually cares? 
Thor and Bucky will return in 2-3 months. 

You know who I want to see coming back :-7
#28 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru: Woot! Finally, someone agrees with me that Siege was better, lol :P
#29 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2923 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
Siege was indeed better then Fear Itself.
Fear Itself is the most meaningless and useless event so far in my opinion. And the bad thing is ... it already lasts for too long and it's not stopping! Gargghh...
#30 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
Siege was indeed better then Fear Itself. Fear Itself is the most meaningless and useless event so far in my opinion. And the bad thing is ... it already lasts for too long and it's not stopping! Gargghh...
Siege, Chaos War, and Fear Itself all sucked. Marvel should take an event break >_>
#31 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry died at the end of Siege, that alone makes it better than this, lol.  (I kid).

No but seriously, at least Siege actually had consequences and caused a little debate. Fear Itself was totally uninspired.

Fear Itself  #7 was the worst issue of the event, and that's saying a lot because they were all terrible. This was hands down the worse event Marvel has done since large events became an annual thing. It was worse than Siege, Secret Invasion, Civil War, it was absolutely terrible and I regret reading it.

#32 Posted by Owie (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep.

Plus, I'm annoyed that they randomly add uru to Cap's shield. It's not like the shield needed to be any tougher against anyone but skyfathers, and I'm pretty sure skyfathers aren't going to have a problem with the uru more than they would be with the adamantium or vibranium. And the magic component of the shield seems to me to stray too far from Cap's semi-realistic roots, it's out of character for him to have.

Plus, I'm annoyed that the Serpent is basically a stand-in for Jormungandr, with the whole "9 steps and dies" thing. Except Marvel already has a Jormungandr, and they already were specific in Simonson's run that the "9 steps and die" thing did in fact apply to Jormungandr. So is there any relationship between Jormungandr and the Serpent.

Plus, why is the Serpent called the serpent, really? I was hoping to get some more insight into this at some point. I mean, serpents traditionally symbolize steath and sneakiness. Sure, they can cause fear. But if I was thinking about something that symbolized fear, I wouldn't choose a serpent. Especially considering that we're talking about the myths of the Scandanavians. Jurmungandr is a key element to their mythology, but otherwise there's not exactly a lot of snakes up in the tundra. It just seems like a very odd choice of symbolism.

Plus, Odin already had two older brother, Ville and Ve, who were instrumental in locking Surtur away. So is this just an example of Odin lying? If they did exist, what exactly did they think about the Serpent?

Plus, why, since this whole series has to do with Asgard and especially Thor, is Thor's current series not set in the contemporary timeline? While I appreciate what Journey into Mystery has done to add some backstory to the otherwise completely deus ex machina Serpent, they should have been dealing with it through Thor himself as well, especially considering their fated ending together. And also especially when Mighty Thor is being written by the same guy as Fear Itself! Instead, we have the Galactus storyline in Mighty Thor that has, from what I can tell, exactly 0 fans.

The whole "special weapons" thing was such a waste. We didn't even see what most of them did, and I have an enormous issue with Spidey fighting with bladed weapons. There's just no way that would happen.

Also, regarding Thor killing the Serpent. So, here's a being that is so tough that, according to Kid Loki, the Destroyer doesn't have enough power to defeat him. But THOR can? (Of course, Thor can apparently kill Sentry too. I guess the way they end all their events now is just to have Thor kill the bad guy. Hmmm...and of course two issues ago Thor had a hard time fighting off two of the Serpent's flunkies in the form of the worthy-Hulk and Thing...anyways...) So sure, Thor is now amped up by some special armor, and he has a special sword. And, in Journey into Mystery, Loki was able to use a magic pen to rewrite the myths of the Serpent, weakening him, which according to him is what allowed Thor to beat the Serpent. But still, come on. There's nothing in the story to suggest why Thor, even with his new armor and sword, is more powerful than Odin would be, if Odin were equipped with those same weapons. So why would Odin not do it?

Journey into Mystery did a bit of a better job of adding a coda to Thor's death, by the way.

The Speedball story in Homefront was one of the only good things that came out of this.

Up until now I've mostly read all the events just because I wanted to know what was going on in my main comics. But now, forget it. I'll just pick up whatever narrative info I need from the web.

#33 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Theres too much to follow... I stoped in 09.

#34 Posted by MagneticTempest (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
When the Mighty arrive, Cap yells "Hold the line, Avengers! Show them how it's done!". I felt sorry for the man. He looked so helpless without his shield, a mere gun in his hand to fight gods with. He deserved better. 

Thor slams the sword of Ragnarok into his skull, and he keels over dead. That's it. That's all it is.  

Tanking physical force is different than "tanking" force that is magical. But don't worry, this isn't the 1st time he died. He'll come back like he's been doing the past 50 years.

That's that traditional Viking burial. By burning them into ashes, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, this story is from a writer who wants to make up characters like "The Serpent" and ignore the fact that that there is a much more powerful god like that in Marvel comics already. Dweller in Darkness. Seriously Matt just became a writer for Marvel what? 3 years ago, so his credibility of this arc is like a What If arc. Obviously Fear Itself was generally to stir up readers for hype, and Marvel will either rule this out of 616 or Make another arc that will reverse this one.  Changes like this happen more often now then it did back then so its really no surprise.
#35 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a marvel fan at heart and I found the "double-sized" issue to be stupid, man. I thought it was gonna be longer and not just stuffed with 4 epilogues. Siege was fine though I got blackest night instead of it, but I did not even bother with chaos war. The Thor death was probably also one of the most stupidest deaths I have seen, the guy just freaking keeled over with no god damn battle scars, I wish "THE SERPENT" could have at least fucking mauled him, but its just a few sword stabs and game over. Cap's mjolnir part was the only fun thing about the event for me.

#36 Posted by God_Spawn (38243 posts) - - Show Bio

@karrob said:

I dont disagree with anything but hasnt Cap always been worthy to lift Mjoinir?

I swear he has before too.

#37 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: This was beautiful.
#38 Posted by muhabba (301 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read it yet so I can't comment on the issue as a whole but I got my 2 cents based on the overview. Cap has always been able to wield Thor's hammer, and Thor has always been destenied to die fighting the serpent. So basically just fighting the serpent, win or draw, kills Thor.

#39 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
Then Cap, for reasons unknown, is suddenly deemed worthy enough to pick up Mjolnir and shout "Avengers Assemble!". Where did that come from?
Here.

Lifting Mjolnir since 1988.
#40 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

Spoilers... Not that I give a damn...

#41 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@MagneticTempest said:

@CitizenBane said:
When the Mighty arrive, Cap yells "Hold the line, Avengers! Show them how it's done!". I felt sorry for the man. He looked so helpless without his shield, a mere gun in his hand to fight gods with. He deserved better.

Thor slams the sword of Ragnarok into his skull, and he keels over dead. That's it. That's all it is.

Tanking physical force is different than "tanking" force that is magical. But don't worry, this isn't the 1st time he died. He'll come back like he's been doing the past 50 years.

That's that traditional Viking burial. By burning them into ashes, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, this story is from a writer who wants to make up characters like "The Serpent" and ignore the fact that that there is a much more powerful god like that in Marvel comics already. Dweller in Darkness. Seriously Matt just became a writer for Marvel what? 3 years ago, so his credibility of this arc is like a What If arc. Obviously Fear Itself was generally to stir up readers for hype, and Marvel will either rule this out of 616 or Make another arc that will reverse this one. Changes like this happen more often now then it did back then so its really no surprise.

Those scans look positively ridiculous.. sigh... Chaos War looked shocking too... I am a marvel fan, and I haven't read any major events in a LONG time....

#42 Posted by Saren (26026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: My bad.

#43 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Good overview by the way. I am quite happy that I didn't touch FI Now :)

#44 Posted by jloneblackheart (5557 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction should be tarred and feathered. I would help.

#45 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Matt Fraction should be tarred and feathered. I would help.

Ahah!

#46 Posted by DATNIGGA (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: Destiny lol but seriously tho hes not dead he has a upcoming event with the eternals/deviants

#47 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

How many giant Norse serpents are there anyway?

#48 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

That's exactly right, Thor died for no reason comprehendible to me. The Serpent was absolute rubbish, just another big bady guy, the 'shocks' were ostensibly apparent from the beginning. The way Fraction spoke about the story made him sound just like Michael Bay. The dialogue was laboured and uncharacteristic in most parts i.e. Thor exclaims Nul is a "pain in the ass" HA. As much as I hated the previous big event, Siege was very slightly better. I thought it couldn't get much worse after that. Marvel proved me wrong again. Now enter Tanarous the new, and I bet moody or shady, God of Thunder, HA again. Stereotypical bullshit.

#49 Edited by Ulyverse (27 posts) - - Show Bio
@President Stark said:

I think Quesada stated that someone would die every year.

Once again, Quesada's troll powers strike again. I do not want to read this and will quite happily just stick to my FF and DCnU. However, they seemed to already want to eff up Foundation. Marvel needs to leave things alone.
#50 Posted by jhazzroucher (16390 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like The Schism was better than this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.