Follow

Fear Itself

Story arc »

In a time of fear and uncertainty, the Avengers make plans to rebuild Asgard, while Sin enacts a mysterious plan to fulfill her destiny and resurrect a forgotten god of fear.

One Way in which Marvel is Messing Up with Fear Itself

djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

Edited By djotaku

Overall, Marvel is a pro at huge, universe-wide events.  They tend to do them a lot more often than DC so they have a lot of experience.  But with all these mini-series coming off of the main Fear Itself event in the same manner as Flashpoint, is that things are seeming a bit pointless.  Although my brother isn't a huge DC fan to start with, he's specifically staying away from Flashpoint because he can't see how it'll have any consequences on DC post-revamp.  And I feel an analogous feeling when it comes to Fear Itself.  Not that there's some kind of Marvel revamp scheduled at the end of Fear Itself, but I find the side stories must be consequence-less and that takes a lot of the punch out of it.  For example, in the same month we had Fear Itself: Wolverine and Fear itself: X-Force.  Both of those books have Wolverine.  And, I can't remember right now, but I think he was also in that's month's Uncanny X-Men tie-in.  So I know that nothing important can possibly happen to Wolverine in either of the mini-series.  It also screws up the timeline for me.  When is this stuff happening?  

In a lot of ways, I know I should enjoy each story on its own without worrying where it fits in with the others.  Afterall, it's not exactly easy to see how X-Men, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Men, Prelude to Schism, and Schism fit into each others' timelines.  (And we already know Astonishing just fits in during the past somewhere) But this removes one of the primary plot devices in serial forms of fiction: suspense.  While almost no one dies and almost no death is permanent, the threat is always there.  Sure, so-and-so may come back, but maybe it'll be 40 real life years later like Bucky.  That's as good as dead forever as everyone in-universe will have moved on.  Scott has definitely moved on from Jean - at least enough to routinely share and "share" his bed with Emma Frost and that's only been 10 real life years.

I know it's really tough with some books coming out biweekly and other coming out monthly, but I think Marvel should work on this because it could really help tighten up the stories to make them work a lot better together and might even encourage people to collect more books.  After all, how cool would it be if FF issue #10 has Spidey get injured which leads to ASM #690 having an injured Spidey try to protect Manhattan.  (Not to mention deal with keeping it secret)

Overall Marvel is doing a decent job, but they could be doing a much better job on making me care about this series.  As it is, I'm just collecting a couple Fear Itself mini-series here and there because I like the characters, not because I expect it to matter in the character's canon.

taqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By taqs

I kind of agree with you. Finding where everything fits into the Marvel timeline is a little confusing. I've been trying to sort out the X-book, and if you look at Generation Hope currently, Kitty is still intangible yet in Uncanny she is sold, and I assume in Fear Itself she is sold. Even the little things don't always carry on into other comic when a character is used. 

Also, with the Children's Crusade, and Wanda coming back. Where will that fit into the Marvel and X-Men’s lives if the series spans 9 books with 1 released every two months.

And with Wolverine, he is in every team across the universe. I'm tired of him to be honest. I love his character but still very tired.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.