Follow

Fear Itself

Story arc »

In a time of fear and uncertainty, the Avengers make plans to rebuild Asgard, while Sin enacts a mysterious plan to fulfill her destiny and resurrect a forgotten god of fear.

Fear Itself Video Discussion

• 75 results
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

im really mixed when it comes to immomens art , some of it is fraken amazing but some of it just dosent appeal to me.

anyhow i am going to try with all my might to pick up all the issues of fear itself

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Osiris1428

All of these people who are worthy are evil, or, they can be evil and get more evil. 'Gods' got their power from the FEAR of their followers. Maybe Odin knows are is upset that the humans don't see them as 'gods' anymore? So now, the 'god' of FEAR will make people FEAR him. Will he try to make them worship him under the threat of "FEAR me or be terrorized??

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By SevanGrim

Tony''s shirt is cracking me up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

I wonder if the Serpent has any connection to the Midgard Serpent?

Alternatively (far out), this could also be Surtur since he's the only one who's gets the Asgardians quaking in their boots. 

But I'm looking forwards to this.

PS. Odin's father was called Bor.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Baddamdog

I really enjoyed the issue, can't wait for the next one

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#6  Edited By spider-man 2996

I loved the issue. Bring on issue 2
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By JonesDeini

Wait, I thought the Asgardians were Aliens in the Ultimate U not 616. I mean Thor's the son of Gaea and Odin. And Odin's a member of the Skyfather council with the other gods of various pantheons. I'm pretty sure they're legit deities, just not truly immortal like their Olympian counter parts. 

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By They Killed Cap!

The best part of the this whole review Tony says " I have dreams". Tony do you dream of being Thor flying through the cosmos?

So I lovewhere this book is going the only thing I am starting to get a little weary of is some of the political refferences. Not just in the main title but in Home Front as well. I understand the importance of grounding them inareal world setting, but I live that garbage every day I don't necessarily want to read a lot of it. But I agree this looks very promising.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

The subplot involving the human characters, the riot, the housing crisis, the father and his son, and the small moment like the locked door, had a very nice grounding element in Fear Itself #1, and I think its a smart move, when dealing in these big massive epic events, with so many characters. 

lol G-Man were you talking about the Darkman? He is one of my favorite old school Thor villains. lol

Uhm, Odin already has two brothers? I suppose he could have three... two he liked, and one he didn't... I'll try and guess though, that Serpent might have been a character that Odin encountered after Vili and Vé had passed (and passed their power to Odin) and in the adjacent realm, that roughly translates as modern day Scandinavia (well ancient as well since they are old) and so possibly the Serpent is the intended supreme deity of this location, plane, yet Odin overthrew him and usurped his position, and then tried to remove any trace of his existence. I think at that time, which might be revealed, Uatu, may have been present, and that Odin knew that one day, per some trope like prophecy Serpent would return, and this is why Odin's pissed at Uatu, because of well, Watcher isn't smug, but last time they met, probably wasn't a moment Odin would wish to remember.  

I disagree with your guys discussion on gods though, remember, Marvel has their own definition, like Marvel has their own definition of mutant that differs from the real life technical definitions (though technically the word god in real life technically just meant (under one context) as per its origin in more powerful people really, (so distinguishing a character not as a god, rather just powerful, would effectively erase the word god from ever existing) hence those more powerful (supernatural) people were invoked and called upon and worshipped. Its a relatively new definition, that is the one you almost seem to apply here? Super supreme omni everything application? Plus erm, hasn't Fraction really done the opposite confirming that there is something different about the Asgardian's? This is how his Iron Man shoots down that physicist, explaining they are gods. (not so much aliens, most deity characters originate from the Gaea (the literal Earth), Atum, Elder Gods, and expended energies) So just really depends on the context as it relates to definition (real life and comics) 

I think these hammers will work just like Mjölnir. Those who are worthy. Worthy, being defined by Serpents criteria, much like Mjölnir, works in accordance to Odin's notion of worthiness, which say might differ to Captain America's notion of worthiness. 

Anyway, I am a huge Fraction detractor. I can critique the hell out of that guy until the hammers from space come home, but I have to say, I really enjoyed his first issue here. Amazing. Best Fraction issue since his Thor one shots and Iron Fist work, those issues like a few years old now... so can't wait for next issue, and I really enjoyed your guys discussion, and glad you liked the issue! 
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By cmaprice

Sounds like Babs watched Clash of the Titans. Heh. ;)

Sadly, that film bastardized Greek myth and instead focused on making it an allegory for Christianity.

Anyway, you guys have sold me. I was a bit skeptical about this event.

DarthStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DarthStorm

There's a hammer for each of the nine realms. 7 from 'space' + Sin's + Thor's.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tensor

i bet seth is in this somewhere an thank u babs for clearing that up a lot off ppl don't see that they are not really gods they should read thor more an hulk has a hammer too

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#13  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @SC: Yeah, I was talking about Dark Man. I wondered if he'd turn up in this but I don't think they'd bring him back.

No Caption Provided
    He does have a sort of hammer though.
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
    @G-Man: its an axe o.o
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I wonder about the Fear Lords tho...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @G-Man said:
    " @SC: Yeah, I was talking about Dark Man. I wondered if he'd turn up in this but I don't think they'd bring him back.

No Caption Provided
    He does have a sort of hammer though."

That guy was cool! I remember being really impressed when you mentioned him in that thread a while back! 

I am not sure if you read his story, but he had a creepy wife as well, and they had a collection of stone people, or people who had succumbed to fear and thus turned to stone. 

Odin was afraid of this guy as well. Must have been because of his Mullet, Mo Hawk combo. *smile*
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @TheCheeseStabber said:
    " @G-Man: its an axe o.o "

His head could fly off his body and still talk! I think his axe/hammer was just for show... when you have a flying head, I mean, what other weapons could you need? 
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
    @SC: umm a flying fist? make ur fist fly off and punch people
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @TheCheeseStabber said:
    " @SC: umm a flying fist? make ur fist fly off and punch people "

Cyclops! His powers manifest from the Punch dimension! His optic blasts are essentially two flying red fists. Good idea!
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
     @SC: i know right oo who would win Iron Mans Fist or Optic Blast fist 
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#21  Edited By HaloKing343

Glad to see you guys returning to these video reviews
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By longbowhunter

Fear Itself #1 was suprisingly good. Secret Invasion really soured my taste for Marvel events but I'm back on board for this one. Being a big Invincible Iron Man and NextWave fan I have complete faith in this creative team. I need to pick up Book Of The Skull.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Trodorne

I agree Babs, its got to be an older brother. Odin seals him away to take the throne of Asgard. this brother seems to be the equivalent of loki.

in dealing with the hammers i see them as similar to the Sinestro corp rings in terms that those who inspire great amounts of fear will be worthy to wield the hammers.

ticticchilitic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By ticticchilitic

Great video! I really dig the spoiler-warned full discussion of issues so you can just talk more openly about the content. Hope we see more of these in the future!

I had taken a break from Marvel after Siege  and even though I had severe event burnout, this video discussion might just pull me back in! As Sara mentioned, I really like how Fraction is pushing that this will be a self-contained story that will have lasting effects in the marvel universe but will not require massive cross-over purchases. 
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Bestostero

Thanks for posting this, im still not sure if i want to keep up with this story arc just yet, but its always good to see what you guys have to say

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm wondering if the 'Serpent' is Odin's dark side....or his darker side anyway. Took some portion of himself and locked it away so he could be a better king to the Asgardians. He put Thor inside a mortal body on Earth all those years ago so it's not beyond his abilities.
    xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27  Edited By xkoenig
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " I'm wondering if the 'Serpent' is Odin's dark side....or his darker side anyway. Took some portion of himself and locked it away so he could be a better king to the Asgardians. He put Thor inside a mortal body on Earth all those years ago so it's not beyond his abilities. "
    I like it! Not sure if that's how they'll play it, but that's a cool idea. :)
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrinceIMC

@xkoenig: I like coming up with wild theories. Hundreds of them and then if even only one of them is right I can still say 'I knew it'.
    Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Iron_Lad

Book of Skulls: Prologue was awesome. Fear Itself Book #1 was awesome. Sin became Skadi, who had only appeared in one other issue before as a Goddess of Asgard. Apparently Skadi's father's name is Thiazzi. Could this be the Serpent? If so, how crazy would it be if it turned out that he's the true All-Father and not Odin?

pacewun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pacewun

What about Beta Ray's Hammer?  He's in space with Gladiator and Surfer right now but will he be apart of this arc?  Or does his hammer not fall into the upper tier of hammers?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @dr.x:  I think you mean Alan Moore comics. DC's Blackest Night was a rip off of Marvel Zombies, which was a rip off of the Goonies, which was a rip off of a Faith No More video, which was a rip off of a David Lynch movie, which was a rip off of a Alan Moore comic script about... you guessed it Storm's Wedding to a DC zombie version of Wonder Woman. 
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32  Edited By DMC

Nice review guys.

Initially I didn't have a problem with the riot, but one review I read (on another site) changed my mind a bit. Instead of a vague reference to building a mosque, why not build that sense of fear and controversy over rebuilding Asgard?

As Chicago's "Stamford Incident"  Marvel/Fraction could have used the incident in Soldier Field to divide the people's views on the Asgardians living in the U.S. Even though it may have been explained as an accident that probably wouldn't stop people from still seeing them as a threat.

This group could consist of people from Chicago along with former H.A.M.M.E.R loyalists and Osborne followers. It would have been cool to see them protest and cause a riot during Starks press conference to hire people to rebuild Asgard.

JLAvenger23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JLAvenger23
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " I'm wondering if the 'Serpent' is Odin's dark side....or his darker side anyway. Took some portion of himself and locked it away so he could be a better king to the Asgardians. He put Thor inside a mortal body on Earth all those years ago so it's not beyond his abilities. "
    I agree with Price, I'm going with this possible theory.... Fear's God would be something really extraordinary I think. The Worthy will be indeed some bad SOBs form the Marvel Universe, just think of those megavillains with super powered hammers. I think that the Worthy are NOT the good guys this time, I suppose it.... Wacko!!
    Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By carnivalofsins00

I think it's fair to introduce Norm now as not only "from Tested.com" but "from Tested and ComicVine.com"

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By sora_thekey

I bought the issue, and had not read it. Then the video is up so I went and read it.

Here's the thing about this book. There was no confrontation between the usual two sides of events, it set up what it is to come. It was a great book!

I am a little bit confused about Sin and the All Father though (I didn't read the Prelude) but I wasn;t completly lost. I am excited to see who's worthy!
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Mbecks14

This sounds really good! The past few Marvel events have been meh, but this sounds really awesome! I might actually get this in collection

TheFallenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheFallenOne

I think that Serpent will actually be a Thiazi  a father of Skadi from mythos. Since Sin is now occupied with Skadi and Skadi refers to Serpent as her father. For Thiazi check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Ejazi    
    CaptainRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaptainRodgers

Prey-lude-prelude

Dah-kin-Daken

waants-wants

Gaads-Gods

You guys pronounce , really weird

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By redmanta

we want another discussion when brightest day  ends

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WiqidBritt
    @JonesDeini said:
    " Wait, I thought the Asgardians were Aliens in the Ultimate U not 616. I mean Thor's the son of Gaea and Odin. And Odin's a member of the Skyfather council with the other gods of various pantheons. I'm pretty sure they're legit deities, just not truly immortal like their Olympian counter parts.  "
    I know it's not really 616 canon, but Earth X explained that all of the earths pantheons of gods are aliens that have evolved(due to the Celestials) to the point that their very forms are shaped by the beliefs of those around them.
    Noray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Noray

Re: The serpent, in Norse mythology, Jormungandr, the world serpent or sea serpent, is the banished brother of Loki. So, maybe? 
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rmungandr

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Last_Guardian

Fear Itself is going to be my re-introduction into the going-ons in the Marvel Universe so I hope it turns out good.  The first issue was real cool and I was pleasantly surprised...

aragthi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By aragthi

Don't know why they had to mention Greek mythology, If you pay attention to the Norse Myths it says that in the end of days, Ragnarok, Odin will be eaten by a "SERPENT".

Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Metro_Man

Is it just me. Or does Babs look a little PO'd in this video. Not aout the subject matter, just overall. Like someone farted, and she had to sit in ass stink or something.

Okay to the subject at hand... This is awsome. The Hammers are fricken sweet. I will tell you one thing however. BRB has had his Hammer far longer than these new weilders, are they just bestowed with the knowledge to use them.  Thor is a master with his Hammer because he has been using it for as long as he has. So even if the Hammers are more powerful, they should still not have the skill that Thor or BRB has with their Hammers.

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't wait to read this.

jcj145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jcj145

The event has been wonderful so far (prelude, issue #1, and homefront) and I think its only going to get better.

I also like the fact there is a Doom figure in the back hanging out with sun glasses baby, lol

Avatar image for jacory44williams
    Jacory44Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jacory44Williams

good stuff
    Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Omertalvendetta
    @pacewun: I was also wondering about Thunderstrike?
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I totally loved this issue. And as I said before: I have total faith in Matt Fraction's writing abilities. The art by Stuart Immonen was amazing to look at and perfectly fitting for a huge event. Definably the best book out last week.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i love comic vine. its like the place comic fans and writers can come together. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.