aiden_cross's Fear Itself: Wolverine #1 - Part 1 review

• aiden_cross wrote this review on .
  • aiden_cross has written a total of 8 reviews. The last one was for

Meh, just meh..

Yeah.. what to say about this comic book. I used to love Wolverine but since he appeared in pretty much every book Marvel put out he’s gotten down a few notches on my list. But putting that aside I was interested in this comic book and how it was written in Fear Itself. Unfortunately it can’t really be called a tie-in and the events of Fear Itself are mentioned but nothing is done with it. Instead we get a story about a criminal organization that had kept low for years but chose this time to come back when everything is in chaos.

Ok, that sounds pretty plausible right? Well, apparently Osborn when he was still the director of H.A.M.M.E.R.  had commissioned a new helicarrier with a lot of (illegal) armaments. And it was now in possession of S.H.I.E.L.D. Still no problem right? Well, here’s where it gets fishy to me.

Well, naturally Wolverine is around when the ship goes to New York and it’s up to him to put a stop to it. The whole side story of Wolverine’s girlfriend is just plain wrong to me as well. They seem more like brother and sister or friends then in an actual relationship. And really?

Pro’s

• The artwork of Roland Borschi looks very nice and smooth, It fits the story.
  • The first fightscene at the beginning of the comic book is awesome. That’s the Wolverine we all know and love!

Con’s

• The story has so many plot holes, it never really explains anything. It seems they’re saying “This is how it went, just take my word for it”.
  • No real romance between Wolverine and Melita (who seems like a clone of Lois Lane btw).
  • No real relevance to the Fear Itself story arc.

All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this issue to anyone. Even the hardcore Wolverine fan will have to admit that there were things that were questionable at best. It’s not to say there weren’t any good parts, but there are way better issues with Wolverine out there.
Posted by Kairan1979

I agree. They should get rid of Melita. They had no chemistry together.

Online