Will The Fantastic Four Survive 2010?

  • 89 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by G-Man (29417 posts) - - Show Bio

The Fantastic Four is Marvel's first team (not counting the Timely published teams like the Invaders, etc).  They're also the first team that had a real family dynamic to them.  Over the years, the team has had its ups and downs.  There have been a lot of great stories that they've been part of.
 
A lot of the comments I hear about the Fantastic Four is that they've become boring.  The current team of Jonathan Hickman and Dale Eaglesham have brought new life to the book.  After all our talk about Spider-Man having a great 2010 last week, we now shift our focus to the Fantastic Four.  Looking at the image below, it looks like the FF may have their hands full this year.  Will they be able to survive?

If you haven't been reading the current Fantastic Four books, you really should check them out.  It looks like there's some big things just around the corner.  This is the perfect time to jump on if you've been passing on this book.
Staff
#1 Posted by GreenGriffin (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way Eaglesham draws reed. He looks in that picture like he ready to open a can of whoop-ass.
   
#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

Had never tried the Fantastic Four but I jumped in when I heard that Hickman was the new writer as he is one of my new favorites. I don't know if the Fantastic Four have always been this cool or not but I'm loving the stories so far

#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5465 posts) - - Show Bio

You scared me G-Man, I thought it was getting canceled or something. People should be reading the series, especially now with the new creative team. It seems anyone reading it loves it. I know I do.
 
Last issue definitely set the mood that something really big was going to happen soon. I am also becoming a fan of Valeria.

Moderator
#4 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel reveals Franklin's abilities. Finally

#5 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the guy on the right? In the blue and black F4 uniform.

#6 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to hear theyre staying on board, theyve been making it a really good
read ( though it stands against McDuffies run which probably wasnt hard to do.lol.)

#7 Posted by jloneblackheart (5465 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" Who is the guy on the right? In the blue and black F4 uniform. "
Probably Franklin. He came back in time last issue.
Moderator
#8 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" Who is the guy on the right? In the blue and black F4 uniform. "
it's Johnny
#9 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to see what else Hickman throws at us. He's supposed to be featuring Namor when he writes his story centering around Sue. I can't wait. I just hope Hickman stays on for a long while. He seems to be having fun with these stories while breathing new life to the Fantastic Four. And as a massive fan I'm glad for it.
 
I think this has to be the second best creative team on the book from these last few years, the first of course being Waid and Wieringo (R.I.P), my humble of opinion of course. 

#10 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

"A lot of the comments I hear about the Fantastic Four is that they've become boring."
And then after you talk to the 12 year olds who run off to read X-men, what do the people who actually read the book say about them?

#11 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be good

#12 Posted by Namor1987 (1879 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope the U-Foes become the Dark Four

#13 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timm said:
what do the people who actually read the book say about them? "
Haha. But since you asked I might as well answer... The Fantastic Four will always be interesting. They have a lot of potential with their stories because they not only deal with superhuman/ cosmic threats but they also deal with emotional and human threats. To see how a team, a family can handle themselves and protect the world even when they're pissed off at each other is a fascinating thing. Through the good and the bad they're a family and they'll do what needs to be done to protect others and explore those uncharted realms that are begging to be discovered. They're not boring, they'll never be boring to me.
#14 Posted by G-Man (29417 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you guys for reassuring me that people do actually appreciate how great Fantastic Four has been lately.  As said, everyone should be reading it.

Staff
#15 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll always love the Fantastic Four no matter what. Even if they have the worst authors in the world. They're my first 'comic' love and little will change that. 
 
Gods, maybe I should bring back the old FF scan thread to give them more exposure.

#16 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just looking at the poster above and I just wondered...when did Mr. Fantastic get so bad-ass?!
#17 Posted by Quest (108 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked the flash backs with reed and his dad kinda of gives  you a little prospective of reed as a kid

#18 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moomin123 said:
" I was just looking at the poster above and I just wondered...when did Mr. Fantastic get so bad-ass?! "
Start reading Hickman's FF and you'll find out. :P
#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@timrothsays said:
" Marvel reveals Franklin's abilities. Finally "
It's about time they remembered that li'l Franklin is another mutie freak ;)  He's one of the lucky few who doesn't live on Utopia... I'm not an F4 reader, but I quite liked the rapport Franklin & Valeria had with Madrox in X-Factor #200.  
Moderator
#20 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"
It's about time they remembered that li'l Franklin is another mutie freak ;)  He's one of the lucky few who doesn't live on Utopia... I'm not an F4 reader, but I quite liked the rapport Franklin & Valeria had with Madrox in X-Factor #200.   "
You should give the book a try. You get to see a lot of interaction between Franklin and Valeria. It's an interesting dynamic.
#21 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

That artwork is sweet, sweet, sweet.  Whoa.  Sadly, F4 is a title I've not picked up since *cough* John Byrne's run.  A few ishes here and there, but never kept with it despite my love for all the characters and what the title used to be back in the day and even before Byrne.  Classic stories long before most readers were even born.   
 
Looks like this will be the definite kick in the pants F4 needs.  I smell time travel, alternate realities, and a lot of things happening.  About time.   
 
It looks like Reed Richards will channel his former douchebaggery into badassery.  I prefer the Reed Richards who uses his intelligence, skills, and leadership qualities instead of being the "older" insular, myopic and egotistical douche he's been portrayed as being.  Enough with the angst, let's get some kick-ass superhero/sci-fi stories going again!!!
#22 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @timrothsays said:
" Marvel reveals Franklin's abilities. Finally "
It's about time they remembered that li'l Franklin is another mutie freak ;)  He's one of the lucky few who doesn't live on Utopia... I'm not an F4 reader, but I quite liked the rapport Franklin & Valeria had with Madrox in X-Factor #200.   "
the last mention was in "Franklin in Hell" story, right?
#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valeria Richards said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
"
It's about time they remembered that li'l Franklin is another mutie freak ;)  He's one of the lucky few who doesn't live on Utopia... I'm not an F4 reader, but I quite liked the rapport Franklin & Valeria had with Madrox in X-Factor #200.   "
You should give the book a try. You get to see a lot of interaction between Franklin and Valeria. It's an interesting dynamic. "
The last time I bought an F4 comic was when Jeph Loeb was writing & Carlos Pacheco was on pencils.  Loved it!  But I couldn't afford to keep buying that and my regular titles.  
Moderator
#24 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"
The last time I bought an F4 comic was when Jeph Loeb was writing & Carlos Pacheco was on pencils.  Loved it!  But I couldn't afford to keep buying that and my regular titles.   "
Fair enough. If you have a chance though I highly recommend it. It's certainly a good time to jump ship, much like G-Man said.
#25 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

MORE FRANKLIN!
#26 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@daveydavey said:
" MORE FRANKLIN! "
You got a double helping of Franklin last issue! ;)
#27 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Although next issue depicts a character we've seen die a half dozen times, it's Hickman's writing that has finally given Reed some cajones. I love the art as well. It was ballsy by Hickman to basically destroy what Millar did with "other-world" and tie up those loose ends clearing every thing for HIS FF.

#28 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

No more Franklin..PLEASE!

#29 Posted by jloneblackheart (5465 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr. Detfink said:
" Although next issue depicts a character we've seen die a half dozen times, it's Hickman's writing that has finally given Reed some cajones. I love the art as well. It was ballsy by Hickman to basically destroy what Millar did with "other-world" and tie up those loose ends clearing every thing for HIS FF. "
that sure is what he did, and in one issue no less.
Moderator
#30 Posted by Stormultt (5308 posts) - - Show Bio

Sue packed on some muscle.
#31 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Franklin finally gets his powers back? o_O oh oo.This means trouble if he does not know how to use them...again

#32 Posted by Valeria Richards (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
" Franklin finally gets his powers back? o_O oh oo.This means trouble if he does not know how to use them...again "
You should pick up the latest issue. He did something rather interesting when he regained his powers.
#33 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say that if Sue were to suddenly disappear I wouldn't be altogether disappointed.

#34 Posted by Clara Mass (7662 posts) - - Show Bio

Valeria has become amazing.  Picking some FF tomorrow due to all these comments of Hickman being great (Which I surely believe).

#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

*Yawn*
#36 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Where the *%#@ is Psycho man?

#37 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

that whole picture pissed me off.
old school marvel is dead.

#38 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" that whole picture pissed me off. old school marvel is dead. "
Face facts. Everything makes you mad.
 
Hickman and Eaglesham have been doing a great job with the Fantastic Four thus far. They've been able to intrigue me with their stories which never seem to revolve around the whole team at once. The latest issue of Franklin's birthday was pretty great. I enjoyed the return of the Power Pack into normal continuity.
#39 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one have been very curious what they are doing post secret invasion.  With Osborne replacing Ironman and taking over shield, WTF happened to the FF? Obviously Reed was also in the media showing how he had cracked a way to reveal the Skrulls. So where are they and what have they been doing aside form the cross over in Spiderman into the Macroverse, I haven't seen much of them.

#40 Posted by Psi-Fire (982 posts) - - Show Bio

Sue's uniform looks great. And add Franklin "Psi-Lord" Richards to the mix is awesomeness waiting to happen. I wonder who or what is gonna make him break the mental barriers he had set up in to keep his powers in check.
#41 Edited by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

ooo, reed looks hot. ;)

#42 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
" ooo, read looks hot. ;) "
Reed, maybe? :)
#43 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice picture!

#44 Posted by Argentino_18 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at Reed, he is the kind of scientist that wokes up in the morning, drink his cofee and realize that the cofee is cold, so he doesnt use a microwave like the normal people, Reed Richards answer for almost any problem that happens in life(even not having toilet paper) is a raygun. Evil zombies infesting the town? use a fu***** ray gun, the floor is dirty use a raygun... 

#45 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio
@Argentino_18 said:
"Look at Reed, he is the kind of scientist that wokes up in the morning, drink his cofee and realize that the cofee is cold, so he doesnt use a microwave like the normal people, Reed Richards answer for almost any problem that happens in life(even not having toilet paper) is a raygun. Evil zombies infesting the town? use a fu***** ray gun, the floor is dirty use a raygun...  "

He's impotent and can't have a third child? Use a g'damn raygun!!!  All I can say is thank God Susan can turn invisible.
 
I'm happy Marvel seems to be putting a little focus on 2 of their classic characters: Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Add Hulk in that list, as well, with "Fall of the Hulks."  
 
I am one who loves to see a lot of different heroes get their shine. I can appreciate all of them, whether they play a small or big role. But, I can't help but be a little more excited when the classic heroes get a push. So, I'm looking forward to this. 
 
Is Marvel starting to let their classic heroes make a comeback? Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk, and we seem to get Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America teaming up in "Siege." Could that mean the original Avengers are coming back? Now, we need to have the X-Men cleaned up and we can be a happy family again!!!    
#46 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's the crab guy in the corner?

#47 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's hope they don't survive, actually scratch that lets hope Reed and Ben don't survive. Sure and Johnny can hang around they could be useful on their own. Honestly Reed is boring and Ben is just another strong man in a line of many.

#48 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Reed no longer an insufferable a-hole? If so, I might come back.

#49 Posted by Captainess Boricua (6731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Not as much. And he actually did the unthinkable... he put his family before his work!
#50 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captainess Boricua said:
" @Jotham: Not as much. And he actually did the unthinkable... he put his family before his work! "
NO! This is Reed Richards we're talking about, right? Also known as Mr. Fantastic?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.