Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5743 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Why Is The Fantastic Four Ending?

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xMattxxrT

I just wasnt to know,
    Is it just the end of an era or is it to do with sales, lack of stories, problems with the development or are they just bored of making them anymore?
    I havent been reading them recently but it seems quite bizzare to end one of their most popular series?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Marvel is desperately trying to up sales and so they're coming up with more stupid gimmicks. That's why.

xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xMattxxrT

Oh thats just depressing :( i thought there was some legit reason behind this, oh dear, i hope it doesnt get to the stage where they add Mickey Mouse or Goofy into F4, seeing as Disney are twats too

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Shadowdoggy

they're trying to shake things up a bit 
    I mean, just this run has been going on for nearly 600 issues 
    change is a good thing 
    and the Future Foundation is probably just the means to an end, a part of some bigger story arc   
    and also......EVERYthing is a gimmick 
    they pretty much only do things in comics to up sales, no matter which comic it is or who's working on it
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @xMattxxrT said:
    " Oh thats just depressing :( i thought there was some legit reason behind this, oh dear, i hope it doesnt get to the stage where they add Mickey Mouse or Goofy into F4, seeing as Disney are twats too "
    Well, the "legit reason" is that one of them died, so now there's "no Fantastic Four" (even though they've lost members before). But Marvel also came out and said they're going to kill off a major character every quarter of the year.
    xMattxxrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xMattxxrT

I understand marketing and the reasons behind these gimmicks, i was just unsure if it was problems with the team or story arcs, thats all, and to see its just to boost sales kinda just made me sigh abit lol

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Omertalvendetta
    @JediXMan: Pretty sure this was a joke.  If true, however, no one stays dead, and yes, this would increase sales.  I can't say that I agree with it, but if used to increase sales, I can say that it will definitely work.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @omertalvendetta said:
    " @JediXMan: Pretty sure this was a joke.  If true, however, no one stays dead, and yes, this would increase sales.  I can't say that I agree with it, but if used to increase sales, I can say that it will definitely work. "
    Google it. It's true, unless they revealed it was a joke Marvel put it - multiple websites stated that Marvel plans to do this.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @xMattxxrT:
    it's no more a ploy or marketing technique than Batman's death, Wonder Woman's alternate timeline persona, Age of X, any major story arc 
    the FF needed to have something huge happen to them to move their collective story forward 
    this is just the way they went about 
    poor Johnny, I miss him already 
    and I hope he does come back eventually 
    which is in total contradiction to my disdain for undoing the deaths of heroes  
    but whatever 
    I like him enough to not hold it against him

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Shadowdoggy: 

The Wonder Woman thing is BS. Bruce is just another death - I have no problem with how that was done. Age of X... we'll see. Seems like a premise that has been done a thousand times (and that's Marvel...)
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @JediXMan:
    it's all been done 
    at this point, there aren't many new frontiers left to trailblaze 
    and with print media going down the crapper at an ever-increasing rate, all comics as a whole need a shot in the arm 
    (and I know AoX is marvel, if that's why you were mentioning it) 
    Comics are a business and they will do whatever they think will outsell the opposition
    Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Omertalvendetta
    @JediXMan: I've read it, even heard it on the Comicvine podcast.  Regardless, it works.  It's going to get people to buy comics. Main reason I think it's a joke is because they were called out on it; someone mentioned that they were killing too many people and in jest, at least imo, they responded it was a feature that they were hoping would stick around, killing off characters 4 times a year, due to the success of Johnny Storm's death.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @JediXMan said:
    "Marvel is desperately trying to up sales and so they're coming up with more stupid gimmicks. That's why. "

Don't blame Marvel for this.F4 hasn't been worth a read in years.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Don't worry, F4 will be back in a year or two. Nothing changes in comics anymore.... nothing.

Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By playdohsrepublic
    @Vance Astro said:
    Don't blame Marvel for this.F4 hasn't been worth a read in years. "

Um, shouldn't you blame Marvel then? Isn't it their responsibility to make it a worthwhile read? 

As for the topic, Its clearly an attempt to generate interest in a franchise that has lost a lot of it's luster over the years. Personally I'm sad to see the title change.
    blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blur99

Um, shouldn't you blame Marvel then? Isn't it their responsibility to make it a worthwhile read? 

As for the topic, Its clearly an attempt to generate interest in a franchise that has lost a lot of it's luster over the years. Personally I'm sad to see the title change.

Exactly. 
    If the quality isn't good then the Marvel the makers are responsible. 
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Nighthunter

In Hickman I trust
     In Hickman I trust
    blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blur99

Also wouldn't it have been a lot classier to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Fantastic Four by having a great story done by a great guest artist. 
    Instead they have a "shocking and sad 'final'  appearance" of a great character.

_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _Courage_
    @inferiorego said:
    " Don't worry, F4 will be back in a year or two. Nothing changes in comics anymore.... nothing. "
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By danhimself
    @playdohsrepublic said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    Don't blame Marvel for this.F4 hasn't been worth a read in years. "

Um, shouldn't you blame Marvel then? Isn't it their responsibility to make it a worthwhile read?  As for the topic, Its clearly an attempt to generate interest in a franchise that has lost a lot of it's luster over the years. Personally I'm sad to see the title change. "
    Hickman's run has been one of the best Marvel books out the entire time he's been on the book....even Millar's run was great stuff
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

FF is ending so they can restart it at #1 (yet again) in a pathetic attempt to take adavantage of ignorant fans and stupid speculators who think "Wow!  This is issue # 1 of this comic!  I better buy it,; it might be worth a lot of money some day!"  It's purely a marketing stunt/gimmick to take adavantage of fans (both the loyal ones and the stupid ones) and speculators.
    MrFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By MrFantastic

It is part hype, part let's sell another issue 1 of FF (I think this will be the fourth), but it is not due to Fantastic Four's sales.  This is a partial list of 2010's sales:

Avengers 773,627 issues
    Captain America 651,456 issues
    Batman Return of Bruce Wayne  575,835 issues
    Fantastic Four sales  498,210 issues
    Superman 498,067 issues
    Hulk 483,202 issues
    X Men 462,270 issues
    Superman Batman 431,624 issues
    Thunderbolts 393,792 issues
    X Force 355,509 issues
    Walking Dead 298,763 issues
    Wonder Woman 265,057 issues
    Supergirl 256,759 Issues
    Wolverine Origins 254,267 issues

FF has been holding their own for years.

Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Full_Spectrum
    @JediXMan said:
    " @xMattxxrT said:
    " Oh thats just depressing :( i thought there was some legit reason behind this, oh dear, i hope it doesnt get to the stage where they add Mickey Mouse or Goofy into F4, seeing as Disney are twats too "
    Well, the "legit reason" is that one of them died, so now there's "no Fantastic Four" (even though they've lost members before). But Marvel also came out and said they're going to kill off a major character every quarter of the year. "
    freaking retards. the entire point in killing off a main character is to have it be meaningful and important. imagine if three months after death of superman, DC had killed off Wonder Woman or Batman. DoS would have kinda lost it's punch. especially killing off main characters every quarter... bad idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.