Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5743 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Why does the Ultimate stuff get no respect?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

No, I'm not talking about Evil Reed and Sue whoring it up with that failure at life named Namor. I mean the initial, Millar stuff. That is the PERFECT update of a concept and team that is CONSTANTLY considered outdated. It got rid of the hokey Silver Age science, and actually made Doom reasonably seem like a real threat, as opposed to (in Eastern European accent) "Ahh, I am Doom, and.....ugh.....I am evil!!!....and I will......kill you and stuff!!!!!! Blah Blah Blah (in Eastern European accent). Even Annihilus(who was already awesome) and Mad Thinker are made more modern and less hokey. THAT is a feat to behold, especially with the Four's rogues.

comkid100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I've read quite alot of the ultimate fantastic four stuff and I have to say that I did like most of it. but the inhumans story arc was too brief in my opinion. Doom though was kind of lame with his goat legs, maybe it's the fact that he's been an established badass ruler for so long that seeing him differently just seemed underwhelming / less impressive.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I liked the Ult FF and hated how they ended up turning Reed evil after it ended. Never liked their version of Doom though.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Actually Ellis wrote more arcs on that book with Millar. But yeah I agree, it was a great update of the original - Millar was at the top of his writing game then.

I guess the reason why it doesn't get that much love is because while it's a great book...it just pales in comparison to USM, UXM, and the Ultimates. I mean it's a great update, but it lost steam pretty quickly beyond the first two or three arcs. While the other Ultimate books were just consistently mind-blowing. Probably has something to do with the fact that it never really had a consistent writer.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I don't like parallel universe stories. They are off kilter from they way we have come to accept things. There's usually gratuitous what if pairings, good and evil flip flop, some people are dead, some dead are living. Everything is just off, and you know it isn't real/permanent/the way it's gonna turn out?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veshark

@dayvid3 said:

Personally I don't like parallel universe stories. They are off kilter from they way we have come to accept things. There's usually gratuitous what if pairings, good and evil flip flop, some people are dead, some dead are living. Everything is just off, and you know it isn't real/permanent/the way it's gonna turn out?

Have you read the UU? There are some fantastic stories in this universe's early days that still remain influential till now. The UU didn't start out as a gratuitous Elseworlds tale, it was an attempt to simplify and streamline the complex Marvel history into a more updated and modern take to draw in new readers (and boy did it). These books had some of the best talent and stories at one point.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Maybe I read the wrong stuff. Your descriptions is what I thought it would be. Kind of new 52 for marvel. I thought they were going to just update origins, maybe make some more modern sense of things. But then I checked out ultimate spidey, and peter's dead and there's some tween in his place. That wasn't the update I was hoping for. I think as long as it says ultimate, it won't be a reboot/streamline, but parallel.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayvid3 said:

@veshark: Maybe I read the wrong stuff. Your descriptions is what I thought it would be. Kind of new 52 for marvel. I thought they were going to just update origins, maybe make some more modern sense of things. But then I checked out ultimate spidey, and peter's dead and there's some tween in his place. That wasn't the update I was hoping for. I think as long as it says ultimate, it won't be a reboot/streamline, but parallel.

Yeah, it sounds like you read the newer Ultimate stuff, which quite frankly has gotten pretty convoluted and messed up too. But I highly recommend the books from the early days of the UU. These ones were especially fantastic streamlines of classic characters that any reader can enjoy. Check out Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1 Power & Responsibility, as well as Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1 The Tomorrow People. I believe both are still in print.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dayvid3

Maybe I will, thanks

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Why don't people like ultimate doom?

samyroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the goat legs, how can we take a badass mastermind like doom with goat legs seriously. More seriously I really enjoy the Ultimate Fantastic Four even if some stories weren't that great and it was my introduction to the first family.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Captain13

The first three arcs are the best fantastic four stories of all time. After that, it goes downhill.

Get Richard Madden or Kit Harrington as Reed, Ashley Williams or Saoirse Ronan for Sue, Alan Ritchson as college football star Ben, Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, Iwan Rheon as Victor, Ralph Fiennes as Franklin Storm (Sue and Johnny's dad), and Stephen Dillane as Nihil. We'll get a hell of a movie then--probably the best superhero film yet if Trank pulls all the stops.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like him.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samyroc: how van he be badass in 616 when he wears a dress

bernardopina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bernardopina

I've read The Ultimates (vol 1 and 2), USM and now reading Ultimate Fantastic Four. You see, i have NEVER been a fan of FF (generally speaking), but i just finished the third arc reading practically non-stop. REALLY enjoying it, but i'm kinda scared to see a comment saying it goes "meh" aftet the third arc, as i bought the full bundle of Ultimate Fantastic Four on Comixology. =P

Well... Even if the 4+ arcs aren't good, it doesn't change (for me) the first 3 arcs. I REALLY enjoyed them and recommend to anyone.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crimz

Like most have said the first three arcs were good, but then it started to get worse. Never liked Ultimate Doom though. Hate Ultimate Sue and she didn't get better as time went on, the only thing she had over 616 Sue was being smarter. And yet she still managed to sound like a dumb blonde and seem dumber than her 616 counterpart. Liked Ben and sometimes Reed had his moments, Johnny never left an impression on me, he was just there.

Ultimate FF had potential, but it just got worse not better. Not even going to mention Ultimatum/Post-Ultimatum

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to be honest I cant even stand the idea , if your not the real thing I feel its a waste of money and time reading it.

But some people find it refreshing. So who am I to say.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the Ultimate FF for a good part of the run, but I do think it went down hill as it progressed. I think a big issue was that it seemed a different artist was on each arc as well as frequent new writers. It's hard when you read a cohesive story that has so many different art styles. The problem that I had with the book, is the same thing that I have with most of the Ultimate line. They liked to take one character flaw that each character has in the 616 and magnify it a hundred fold in the Ultimate U.

I have to be honest I cant even stand the idea , if your not the real thing I feel its a waste of money and time reading it.

But some people find it refreshing. So who am I to say.

You don't like any out of the 616 or DC Elseworlds? The Ultimate U is still in continuity and now intersecting big time with the 616 with the Time Runs Out story. Also, a lot of the DC Elseworlds, like Red Son or All-Star Superman, are considered by most as some of the best stories that are out there. I like to enjoy a story for its own sake as opposed to how it fits into the bigger picture.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

I'm reading through this now. After the first couple trades the only thing I really disliked was the Mole Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.