"The Avengers" is what "Fantastic Four" should have been...

#1 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little tired, but here it goes: The "Fantastic Four" should (or could) have been the quirky, cheesy, one-liner laden blockbuster of the summer in the vein of "The Avengers", detached from compressed storylines, unimaginative plotting, and poorly-researched characterization.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12489 posts) - - Show Bio

What akes you say that?

#3 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: The initial run on the Fantastic Four was just cut from the same cloth as "The Avengers": farfetched, yet unquestionable stories featuring humorous quibbling, rare moments of dark introspection, super-science wizardry, mind-expanding locales, and ACTION. The Fantastic Four films never took Marvel's First Family anywhere outside of New York after their accident, devoting more time to cutesy in-fighting than realizing fully-formed plots and characters (especially the villains).

Doctor Doom arguably possesses the most compelling origin and motive in comic book history, but the responsible studio decided to cast him as an unimposing, grandeur-less industrialist. No Latveria, no Doombots, no techno-magicks, just electricity and a muffled accent.

Silver Surfer had the right actors in his corner (Doug Jones in full silver body paint; Laurence Fishburne behind a vocal booth), but the idea of the board as his power source, in my opinion, weakened "Doom acquiring the Power Cosmic".

Also, Ioan Gruffard portrayed Mr. Fantastic as this stereotypically weak, timid scientist; that always bothered me.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies like the X-Men were the original comic to film blockbusters that were positively accepted by non comic fans.......the formula was popular and sustained throughout most comic films, as comic films tried to be more plausible and realistic

For the Fantastic Four....this does not work, they should have went with a more goofy, campy presentation similar to what Spider-Man did...without question what the Avengers did

So I agree...

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say that.

The Incredibles is what the Fantastic Four should've been.

#6 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7529 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah... Maybe FF will get the justice it deserves. And that includes Silver Surfer.

#7 Posted by nickzambuto (12839 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

/thread

#8 Edited by nickzambuto (12839 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

Doctor Doom arguably possesses the most compelling origin and motive in comic book history,

This I have to call out. What's the big whoop about Doom's origin? He's butthurt cause his science project blew up in his face... boohoo. Get over it. You've built time machines, you really can't fix up your own face?

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

The Incredibles is what the Fantastic Four should've been.

Agreed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.