Matthew Vaughn to Produce 'Fantastic Four' Reboot

• 60 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36175 posts) - - Show Bio

Fox's The Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past have been soaking all of the attention as of late, but Mark Millar, the creative consultant for Fox's Marvel films, is putting the spotlight back on the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot. Today via Twitter he confirmed that the director of X-Men: First Class and Kick-Ass will produce the film.

Josh Trank is directing the reboot and if you're wondering who he is, he's the dude that directed the rather awesome film, Chronicle. The trio of Vaughn, Trank and Millar all working on this one definitely has my expectations raised. It really feels like Fox is stepping up their game when it comes to their Marvel properties, so here's hoping they live up to the hype. Millar has previously hinted he'd like for the properties to crossover, too, and that's something absolutely worth looking forward to.

Viners, do you think Fox is going to impress us with their next batch of films? Fantastic Four is slated for a March 6, 2015 release.

Source: Twitter

Staff Online
#1 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be interesting, will be curious to see the debates over who should be cast.

#2 Posted by dondave (33599 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I maintain this would be and do better if it was in the MCU however I am now a little more optimistic about the results.

#4 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

(Insert sarcastic cooment about how this will fail)

No, but seriously I feel neutral about this.

#5 Posted by ccraft (5017 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32233 posts) - - Show Bio

que pepole moaning about it not being a MCU film

#7 Posted by thatlad (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Fox are doing a better job than they were previously, but it's still a case that I'd rather see these films in Marvel's hands. At the moment they're making good films, while Marvel are making better films with grander scale

#8 Posted by Loki2u (207 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not much of a fantastic four fan, and the previous movies did nothing to change that, BUT of course I'll be checking this out. Optimistic a good creative team can make me a fan!

#9 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6866 posts) - - Show Bio

Too bad Fantastic Four still belongs to Fox. I would love to see Peter Parker and Human Torch together :O

#10 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

Fox has seemed to have learned from it's mistakes so I'll keep an open mind for the reboot here.

#11 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8846 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited for this now that we have a good Producer!

#12 Posted by DarklyDreamingDeadpool (174 posts) - - Show Bio

good, maybe now we get a decent ff movie?

chronicle was awsome, though it was like the british version of akira.

#13 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

NO JESSICA ALBA REPEATS!

#14 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't screw Doom up I'll be happy.

#15 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see completely new cast of Fantastic Four. Loved the first two movies (although not the best, in my opinion) but am looking forward to the reboot.

#16 Posted by Cavemold (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

what does mark millar do again?

#17 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Chronicle was excellent, I have a good feeling about this project.

#18 Posted by bloggerboy (535 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds promising. The FF have so much potential of bringing a sense of wonder to the genre.

#19 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

The recent cartoon TV show was fantastic. Good use of humor mixed with action. Sense of family and team. Reed & Sue were handled perfectly. Genius, but absent minded with Sue having common sense and the true glue in of the team/family. She (and sometimes Ben) basically played the "straightman" with everyone else taking turns as the goof off.

#20 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

How sad is it when a movie studio has to reboot a great comic book property which essentially writes itself?

The reason many of us are griping about these comic book properties not being at Marvel/Disney is because Fox and Sony have both really not done impressive jobs with their renditions. They've been mediocre at best.

That said, and I've said it before, and will continue, is that X-Men: First Class was a step in the right direction, despite all the changes made. IF they can continue with X-Men, Fantastic Four and other properties in that manner, then that'd be great--but still not an ideal situation. While the potential of crossovers of the characters of X-Men and FF would be great, I don't know...I kind of cringe envisioning how it'd be handled.

I am just not rushing out to the movie theater to see the other studios' takes. I wait to rent them and that doesn't help the bottom line. Please, just Make Mine Marvel.

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. Ok

#22 Posted by Moby (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope the casting is better this time around!!!!

#23 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a good thing? I actually liked the two FF films.

It would be different if the FF could be in the Marvel universe, but since they can't...

#24 Posted by lrtaylor02 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

So I guess this will be an entertaining action movie but a crappy marvel movie. He made X-men "first class" without the first class. I don't trust him with Fantastic Four.

#25 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

mark miller is a horrible person

#26 Posted by VictorVonDoom_1 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf said:

Too bad Fantastic Four still belongs to Fox. I would love to see Peter Parker and Human Torch together :O

I would love for this to happen.

#27 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally - WE are Going to GET a ROCK SOLID - FANTASTIC 4 movie (Thing pun intended)!

#28 Posted by viin (534 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry marvel im signing off...

#29 Posted by FearTheLiving (2369 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf said:

Well considering Sony owns Spider-man I doubt we'd see that, unless both the rights go back to Marvel. Unless this suppose deal with Sony and Marvel are true and he's apart of the MCU which I really hope he isn't just for the fact I can't stand ASM PP at all.

Makes me so sad that Marvel doesn't have all their characters. /cry

#30 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

That means it's gonna suck Dragon Ballz (with a Z... see what I did there?) since X-Men First Class turned out... you know... Dragon Ball-suckish.

#31 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

In a post-Nolan Batman comic book movie world, I think the very "lessons" movie companies think they've "learned" from what made Nolan's trilogy work, will ruin properties like this. And Spider-Man, obviously.

Spider-Man and Fantastic Four can both go to a dark place, but the core of them is optimistic and positive and dare I say FUN. If the cure-all that movie companies shoot into these films is dark and broody navel gazing.. It's just not gonna work out.

That said, there's no telling whether this is what they're aiming for with the FF reboot. Josh Trank inevitablty invokes thoughts of Chronicle, leaning towards grit, but Matthew Vaughn has done his share of fun and fantastical. We'll just have to wait and see.

#32 Posted by Cap10nate (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope the movie starts with them already having powers and established as heroes. I don't really want to see another origin story that was already made a couple years ago. Just a couple flashbacks on how tbey got their powers or do a time jump after they receive them would be great.

#33 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@DH69: VERY GOOD POINT! she has the face now, but when she did it :(

@Lone_Wolf_and_Cub: YES How did they Screw up Doom!

@Smurfboy: I don't think they could do any worest!

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32233 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold said:

what does mark millar do again?

he's overseeing the shared universe

#35 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't know how to respond.

#36 Posted by CaptainMexico (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they make The Thing computer animated like they did with the Hulk in the Avengers. That would look so mych better if they are able to pull it off.

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Mostly, I just want another F4 movie. Please let it be based on their Ultimate versions!

#38 Posted by feargalr (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

I have high hopes for this...

#39 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19553 posts) - - Show Bio

wouh? another F4 movie? yay? im so excited? theres other characters way cooler then the F4 that should be given movies. im not excited at all probably not even go to the theater for this one?

#40 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked the first two ff films jessica alba was yummy.

#41 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see Human Torch joining the X-Men on a lark. It'd be about as close as we could get to Wolvie/Spidey teamup.

#42 Posted by comicfan123 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O: I agree with you regarding most of Fox's X-Men (mainly The Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine) and FF movies, but I highly enjoyed Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man. And X-Men: First Class turned out to be a very pleasant surprise for me (my biggest regret of 2011 is passing that movie up for Green Lantern), so I, for one, am, willing to give Fox another chance.

And while most of Marvel Studios' works (see The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America) were great, it's not like everything they touch is magic (Iron Man 2, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance).

#43 Edited by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan123: I've not seen Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Regarding Iron Man 2, it wasn't great, either but a lot better than all the other movies combined, IMO.

Marvel Studios may not produce certified gold with everything, but I'd still prefer all the characters and movies to return back to the company that owns them. Even if they don't all turn out to be gold stars, it would "feel" better having them back with Marvel proper so I could rest easy knowing that at least Marvel won't muck things up too much compared to Sony and Fox.

#44 Posted by BritishMonkey (319 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going good. It'll get better.

#45 Posted by windcaster (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should use the ultimate version of the F4 but use the 616 version of Doom. It would be cool to see a woman who was also one of the smartest people in the world.

#46 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaptainMexico said:

I hope they make The Thing computer animated like they did with the Hulk in the Avengers. That would look so mych better if they are able to pull it off.

I was thinking the same thing. That would be totally awesome. I bet many people will love that.

#47 Posted by catfightfan (550 posts) - - Show Bio

The Fantastic Four deserve a superior film. Let us hope for the best.

#48 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the casting was fine last time, except Jessica Alba (who I do at least fine gorgeous). It was the movies themselves that were bad.

I hope they get it right this time. Millar's run was pretty good, so that should be a step in the right direction. I'm hopeful.

#49 Posted by bananaz (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just so glad somebody's trying Fantastic Four again.

#50 Posted by PowerHerc (80842 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the FF so I'm glad to hear this and I hope he does a good job.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.