Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5741 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Hypothesis: Which of the 4 will be in the Fantastic Three?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey
    Here's where I tell you what I think will happen in... well comics 

The Fantastic Four is Marvel's "First Family" so they are a pretty good deal. Usually when a problem out of this world happens the FF are right in front and center to save the day. Marvel recently announced with a promo that the 4 will be reduced to 3:

No Caption Provided

Recap: 1961 was the year when Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben were affected by Cosmic Rays giving them powers related to the four elements; earth, fire, water and air. Now Mr. Fantastic (Who is as manipulable as water), Invisible Woman (Who is as invisible as air), the Human Torch (Who can fly and manipulate fire) and the Thing (Who is now a strong boulder) join forces to be the Fantastic Four.  
    Recently Hickman took over the title and his run has been interesting, so I've heard, which include that sense of adventure and mystery that the FF title has been missing for a while now.

Facts: The next big Fantastic Four story will be be appropriately called "Three" but what is "Three" all about? CBR.com and Newsarama interviewed Hickman, and this is how he described it:

"Three" is a cosmic, star-spanning Fantastic Four story with consequences. 

Anyone that's ever lost a family member can tell you that surviving [and] moving on is a process," says Hickman of the Four losing one of their own. "So the Fantastic Four will do that in the same manner we all do: some will get angry, some will grieve, some will want to get even. And all of this grows out of events in one of the four cities.

We'll also use "Three" to push the book back into more of a Marvel-centric kind of series. It feels like the FF has been isolated, on its own, for a very long time -- certainly since Civil War. We want to push it back into Marvel central, and to do that, we're going to have to tell stories that deserve that scope.
    Is it just a Hype?

Newsarama: "one of the members of the Fantastic Four will have breathed their last" Is this just a hype or is it real?
    Hickman: Oh, no, it's real. You can't do these things without there being some weight to it.
    There's a reason we're calling this arc "Three".

^ Ben is not here^
    ^ Ben is not here^

No Caption Provided
    Now, before we all get worried about this, and /or sad. Let's think about what "breathed their last" means?
    The first promo is misleading, and since we know that Reed seems to get into more trouble for the rest of the Four, so it would be simple to say that the person who has breathed their last is Reed Richards, but two more promos for Fantastic Four #583 were shown later (right & left). 
    From what we can see on these three promos Sue is not going anywhere, but one of the guys will leave, and like i said it would be very simple to just say that Reed is the one who stops being part of the three since recently he seems to be the one who gets into the most intergalactic trouble.
    Then again Ben is going to be a New Avenger, and since it's very easy to have him in more than one team (Just like Spidey and Wolvie) he could be the one who leaves the team rather than going on both sides.

^Ben is here^
    ^Ben is here^
    Hypothesis: I'm going out on a limb here and say that the Fantastic Three (or just "Three") will include Reed, Sue and Johnny so Ben can be in NA. I can't figure out how but take into consideration that my Hypothesis is only focusing on what the roster will be on the title after #583.  
    So what do y'all think? (First Nightcrawler and if my Hypothesis is wrong then a member of the FF will be included into the death roster!)

Hypothesis Outcome

Won't know until September... 

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 2 year user, blogger and wiki editor of Comic Vine, and all time geek!
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Comiclove5

Great Hypothesis 
    I think it's Johnny because Ben has already, Died. Sue isn't going to die because she is in all 3 images. And Reed Richards is the Fantastic Four (three).

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DH69

yay LONG LIVE THE INVISIBLE MILF

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I'm thinking that it's going to be Johnny :/

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Comiclove5: Thanks... I thought Johnny died before, but I could be mistaken!
    @DH69: Yes long live Sue!
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: What makes you think that?
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @sora_thekey: It's just one of those feelings lol
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Magian

Human Torch propably won't be in the F3.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Your theory does make sense, and would help with Marvel's "Our characters can be everywhere!" problem, and if this is true, that could lead to She-Hulk taking Ben's place again?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @War Killer: That would be awesome to see She-Hulk on there again, or Crystal even.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: Switching up the FF roster does open up a lot of doors for some of Marvel's underused characters, plus Epting is one of most favorite artists, so I'm looking forward to this ^_^
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @War Killer: Maybe they'll add Squirrel Girl :P
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: Lmbo! She would be helpful next time Galactus comes to town xD
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Magian
    @War Killer:
    She will be Galactus' next Herald.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hamz

Namor bumps off Reed so he can finally get to Sue! :O

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

If it's a genuine bump off and not a just a bit of hyping and clever use of word in press releases then I think it'll be Johnny.  I've picked up every issue since Hickman's run started (always dipped in and out of the FF but he's the first writer in a long time who I've been hooked on with them) and there was a really good piece of dialogue between Johnny and Reed in *rummages through box* #578 goes like this:

Reed: Everything is changing, Johnny. Everythingandeveryone. Ben, Sue... The Kids.  I'm not sure if I even have the words to explain what I'm going through... And as everything around you, it's inevitable that you'll experience something like this as well.
    Johnny:  And what am I suppose to do when all that happens, Reed?
    Reed:  It's simple, Johnny. You ask yourself a question...  What is it you stand for?  When you can answer that, then you'll know.

I've always seen Johnny as somewhat of a show-off / kind of a prick but with solid morals and heaps of heart to more than make up for it.  When I heard about 'Three' this immediatley made me think of Johnny and this as his opportunity to really make a stand.  (Plus, you can see the one-shot funeral issue title already: Flame Off) However that said, I'm really just basing this on the Hickman run and the odd Trade or crossovers here and there.

Side note though, little Franklin recently rediscovered himself (so to speak) so how long can one of the FF stay dead with that deus ex machina knocking around?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

After reading FF #580 and how things seem to be going well for Ben now that he can...

And since things never seem to go right for our ever-lovin' blue-eyed buddy when it comes to getting what he wants, I have a feeling this may turn out more of a curse then blessing.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMess1428
    @sora_thekey: You forgot a promo. 

No Caption Provided
    And I still think Johnny is the one to go.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17  Edited By The_Martian

I say Human Torch dies. As I said in other threads:

• Invisible Woman - She is to vital for the team. It's been stated that without her, the Fantastic Four(or Three) wouldn't hold together. Also they just had the "Death of Invisible Woman" story arc, so I don't see them trying to make us believe she died again so soon.
    • Thing - Thing has already died once, so I don't see him being the one who dies because we already see the reaction of the other members. Plus he just joined the New Avengers, so I don't see the killing him off.
    • Mr. Fantastic - He is the brains of the team. If the team goes on an adventure, it's usually due to some experiment or invention Reed just came up with. I don't see the Fantastic Four going on as many adventures without him. Plus Reed is probably the least popular Fantastic Four member. Killing him off would have almost zero shock value for fans.
    • Human Torch - Human Torch seems the most possible for me. He has a big enough fan base that if he died, fans are going to be interested and care about whats going on. As far his character go, he is usually the source of comedy and not drama. He also usually isn't the source of a problem or adventure the team leaves on.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sora_thekey
    @TheMess1428: yeah I wrote this before that promo was revealed.... 
    @Nobody: The closer this arc gets the more I agree with you.... I am thinking this Hypothesis will be wrong!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Martian
    @sora_thekey:  I kinda had the feeling from the beginning that it would be Reed or Johnny, but the more I think about it I'm leaning towards Johnny.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jamesewelch

Well, if they kill off Johnny, then Chris Evans won't have to worry about picking up the F4 uniform alongside his Cap's shield... I know that has nothing to do with the choices, but hey... it's a coincidence.

My theories:

• Invisible Woman - No way they'd kill her off. She's only of the few popular, well known, women characters and I think this is Marvel's year of the women anyways
    • Thing - Less chance to kill him off since he's on another team, he might leave (like X-Men's beast) to join Avengers full time
    • Mr. Fantastic - I could see them killing him off, but the F4 comic book would take a turn in plots/stories. That would also have Invisible Woman as a widow/single mom and open up lots of stories concerning family stuff again.
    • Human Torch - probably the easiest to kill off

My bets are on the Human Torch being killed.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @jamesewelch said:
    " Well, if they kill off Johnny, then Chris Evans won't have to worry about picking up the F4 uniform alongside his Cap's shield... I know that has nothing to do with the choices, but hey... it's a coincidence.

My theories:
    • Invisible Woman - No way they'd kill her off. She's only of the few popular, well known, women characters and I think this is Marvel's year of the women anyways
    • Thing - Less chance to kill him off since he's on another team, he might leave (like X-Men's beast) to join Avengers full time
    • Mr. Fantastic - I could see them killing him off, but the F4 comic book would take a turn in plots/stories. That would also have Invisible Woman as a widow/single mom and open up lots of stories concerning family stuff again.
    • Human Torch - probably the easiest to kill off
     My bets are on the Human Torch being killed. "
    Ooooo i agree ^_^
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMess1428
    @Nobody: I agree. I always had this vibe that it would be Johnny that would be the next person to die or leave the team. Then Spider-Man replaces him.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By jamesewelch
    @TheMess1428: I'm not sure Spidey would replace him. I'd like to see the F4 use the Franklin Richard as the 4th member. That way they'd keep it in the family. However, if they are trying to get more readers, then Spidey, Wolverine, or Deadpool would generate a few more readers...
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Martian

Based on the teaser, I don't think they will be replacing the fallen member. I think they are going to try and make it work with just three.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheMess1428
    @jamesewelch: Well there is a promo for Spider-Man with him in a FF uniform so I assume it means he joins the team.
    Avatar image for _girl_of_steel_
    *Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26  Edited By *Girl of Steel*

Sue, Johnny, and Reed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.