Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5743 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Fantastic Three?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian
     Fantastic Three?
     Fantastic Three?
    By Jim Beard

Four minus one equals three-a simple equation yet one that delivers frightful and unspeakable complications for Marvel's first family of super heroes, the Fantastic Four.

This September, in FANTASTIC FOUR #583-587, Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting bring the War of Four Cities down around the ears of Marvel's world-famous team and pair their ranks down a trio.

"Anyone that's ever lost a family member can tell you that surviving [and] moving on is a process," says Hickman of the Four losing one of their own. "So the Fantastic Four will do that in the same manner we all do: some will get angry, some will grieve, some will want to get even. And all of this grows out of events in one of the four cities."

Hickman's been slowly revealing details of said cities in recent issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, building events that reach an undeniable boiling point this September. The War of Four Cities will spread like wildfire, encompassing many factions and creating untold sides to the conflict.

"The war is not remotely binary so there's not a single side to choose, and the war is also going on amidst many other huge goings on," he explains. "We've got the return of Doom, Galactus and the Council of Reed as well, and, for now, the war is going to stay confined to the Four's little corner of the Marvel Universe.

"I wouldn't plan on it staying that way though."

In 1962, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby dubbed FANTASTIC FOUR "The World'sGreatest Comic Magazine," seeing its promise and potential for action, adventure and pathos. Hickman plans to reaffirm and strengthen that title with one simple move:

"We hired Steve Epting to draw the book," he notes.

"Pages by Steve are starting to come in hot and heavy now, and, in my opinion, they are just stunning. Is it a departure from his recent work? Sure, but it's still unquestionably, pure, concentrated, Epting artwork and we're lucky to have him."

For his part, Epting, already acclaimed for his work on CAPTAIN AMERICA, views FANTASTIC FOUR as an opportunity for exploration and experimentation. Considering the characters and their mission, that's entirely fitting.

"When starting a new series with characters I've never drawn before, I find the first several issues are sort of experimental in terms of finding what works and what doesn't for the characters," the artist points out. "I don't necessarily go into it trying to 'make them my own,' though every artist does that to a certain degree simply because we all have differences in our styles and the storytelling decisions we make, but I really just want to portray each of the cast members in a way that's consistent with his or her character and in the process enhance the story being told."

Epting, like Hickman, looks forward to strengthening FANTASTIC FOUR's foundation as Marvel's origin point for their Universe and ensuring it worthy of its hyperbolic cover tag.

"Nothing I'll do on my own will accomplish that, but working with the team we have and knowing what Jonathan has planned, I'll draw it to the best of my ability and do everything I can to live up to it," he vows. "That's what the Fantastic Four is and should be the World's Greatest Comic Magazine!"

Marvel.com
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

The Thing has been my favorite part of the FF since Hickman took over (except Valeria but she's not one of the Four). I hope it's temporary, and by temporary I mean short.  I hope he doesn't die, I can't handle that. I hope he's just leaving to be on one of those Avengers teams (I seem to remember seeing something about that). 

I've also been really digging Eaglesham's art on the book, but I'm sure Epting will do awesome. 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Steve Epting's art is one of my absolute favorites! Looking forward to this! :D

Aerock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Aerock

What's going on with Thing?  I saw this articleabout the "Fantastic Four: Three" and saw the Human Torch, the Invisible Woman, and Mr. Fantastic with no Thing...  I haven't been keeping up with them at all, so can somebody fill me in?  Thanks!

i less than three komiks,
    ~  Aerock

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

Thing is going to be a member of the New Avengers so I doubt that Thing is going to die and since there's another image on the webs today with Thing in the Invisible Woman's place, I'm now guessing that we'll see 4 of these promos with each missing a different member

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pizawle

I would guess Johnny Storm is the one that will die, if that is indeed what will happen. Going to be a superb arc, though. I have no doubt about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.