Fantastic Four #588: The Final Issue—Discussion

• 65 results
#51 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @Shadowdoggy said:
" @FoxxFireArt: the emotion isn't about him BEING dead it's not like WE have to miss him, deal with his death, or wish we could see him again it's about seeing the other characters deal with his death and miss him and go through the pain of his loss we can ALWAYS see him again because he's in comics, movies, games, etc the sad thing is watching the emotional turmoil the rest of his friends and family go through after his death it's not meaningless if the journey and struggle the characters are going through seems real "
I like this answer!  He'll be back... but how the rest of the characters deal while he's gone is the interesting part.  I say that it is too convenient for the series to end #588 and not re-name FF back to Fantastic Four. Captain America was renumbered to #600 and he was dead. Why not go back to #600 and still have Johnny dead?  "

hey thanks  
:)
#52 Posted by MrFantastic (248 posts) - - Show Bio
@leokearon:  I agree, there is no way they are gonna give up an issue 600 on a cash cow like the Fantastic Four.  Look at the sales last year. Fantastic Four sales  498,210 issues last year!
 Look compared to a few other titles...

Avengers 773,627 issues
Captain America 651,456 issues
Batman Return of Bruce Wayne  575,835 issues
Superman 498,067 issues
Hulk 483,202 issues
X Men 462,270 issues
Superman Batman 431,624 issues
Thunderbolts 393,792 issues
X Force 355,509 issues
Walking Dead 298,763 issues
Wonder Woman 265,057 issues
Supergirl 256,759 Issues
Wolverine Origins 254,267 issues

No giving up an issue 600....
#53 Posted by MrFantastic (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say Johnny's death issue was so much better than Reed's, Sue's or Ben's. Loved the art work.  Loved the fact it made me tear up. Great effing issue!

#54 Posted by BlackDove (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Definatly gotta pick this up!
#55 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I have only one thing to say to this whole story...

RIP Johnny

RIP Johnny Storm

and 

I can't say that I'm all that happy about this whole "Future Foundation" direction...
Sounds too much like an editorial mandate to me - to boost up sales...
Rather than a move on the creative team's part.
#56 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always thought that the Thing was the weakest character of the FF with the least growth potential of them all. It always seemed that he was constantly dealing with the same basic character traits over and over again, and I was really hoping he would die as a human.

#57 Posted by Lvenger (18312 posts) - - Show Bio

Well predictably it was Jonny who was going to die. Him or Thing. Reed is the leader whereas Sue provides the gender variation. The last 2 are my favourites but were always culpable to the writer's whim of killing them off. Having said that, Jonny is most likely not dead. True getting swamped by an army of bugs is likely to kill you even if you can set yourself on fire but there was never a body shown. As such at some point in the future Jonny will return from being stranded in that dimension or from being Annihulus' prisoner or something.

#58 Posted by FireFlare153 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

So long johnny... wait, what am I saying? He'll be back!
#59 Posted by kal-el09 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

he'll be back....cap was gone for like a year or two i think and then returned

#60 Posted by Massagingmytemples (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Question.  Can someone explain to me why Bruce Banner and Thor were showing a hologram of Johnny to Thing before he lost it in this issue?

#61 Posted by Fresh0133 (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Massagingmytemples: Not sure if you've seen the preview for FF yet, but that hologram is Johnny's last will and testament, we haven't seen the whole thing, but what we have seen would likely piss Ben off due to Johnny being pretty casual about his death, in true Johnny fashion.

Anyway, loved the issue, I think Sue and Thing's stories really hit me the hardest, Hickman took a book that had pretty much fallen into a state of not being relevant and turned it into one of the most must read series on the shelf today, along with all of his other books as well.  I didn't care much about the Fantastic Four prior to his run, but a couple of times he's straight punched me in the face with what he pulls off this issue is one of those shots.  Simply incredible, if you're not reading Fantastic Four or the up coming FF, get on board, it's hard for me to say that there's a better book out there right now.
#62 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats my first silent comic i have ever picked up and i really liked the issue but i now know for certain i dont prefer  silent issues over normal ones
#63 Posted by Quntumking (216 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is dead, Ares is dead, Nightcrawler is dead, Humantorch is dead anybody else.

#64 Posted by atdt (48 posts) - - Show Bio

they should bring back jonny storm & start with this amazing new series of "Fantastic Four"

#65 Posted by Digifiend (577 posts) - - Show Bio

The UK reprint series Fantastic Four Adventues is currently running the Three storyline, and afterwards will apparently cease. They're replacing the title with The Incredible Hulks, so the FF stories are probably going to end up in Mighty World of Marvel (which reprints the Marvel stories which don't fit in the other Panini collectors editions - Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor share Marvel Legends, and Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, and Wolverine and Deadpool have their own titles). FF fans in the UK have been screwed over it seems.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.