Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5743 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Could F4 disappear from comics?(Cancellation Confirmed)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

Update located in post #27(click here)

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Came across an article on CBR that suggests that the Fantastic Four could disappear from comics.

Here is the 1st paragraph from the article, head over to the original for the rest.

"Fantastic Four" May Live On-Screen, Disappear From Comics

On Thursday, Bleeding Cool published a report citing "a Marvel source" that Marvel plans to put current ongoing series "Fantastic Four" and "Ultimate FF" "on hold." The reason for this, according to the article, was that the "high echelons" of Marvel believed that continuing to promote the property would bolster 20th Century Fox's films -- Fox has long held the live-action license to both Fantastic Four and the X-Men -- at the expense of Marvel Studios, owned and operated by Marvel's parent company, Disney.

Click here for the rest

--------------------------

From Bleeding Cool

Would Marvel Really Cancel Fantastic Four To Snub Fox?

10375099_10152192851601359_6674187325379651561_n

Well this is an interesting one. Recently we ran a piece looking at the absence of comic book characters associated with Fox Studios on the Marvel 75th Anniversary Magazine cover, in favour of the likes of the Inhumans and Captain Marvel.

Well, now I’m being told from a Marvel source that Marvel are intending to put the Fantastic Four comic books on hold, both Marvel Universe and Ultimate. The characters will still appear, but in other folks’ books such as Inhuman and Avengers. And that artwork featuring the Fantastic Four is even being taken down in the company offices.

THERE'S MORE Click here

From Bleeding Cool

Artists Given Specific Instructions Not To Use Fantastic Four Characters (UPDATE)

That Marvel Comics were to cancel their Fantastic Four comics (though still using the characters in other titles) as a deliberate snub to Fox, currently producing the Fantastic Four movie. With the belief, from on high, that any publication of Fantastic Four comic books only helped Fox Studios at the expense of Marvel Studios. And while X-Men were just too popular comics to cancel, the Fantastic Four… wasn’t. So both comics would be dropped.

There was flimsy evidence to back it up. That the Marvel 75th Anniversary project had no Fantastic Four on the cover, despite being Marvel’s first superhero team, and the core of the modern Marvel comic. I was told that Fantastic Four imagery had been taken down at Marvel’s offices. And then certain very chatty people in the past suddenly clammed up when this was mentioned.

THERE'S MORE Click here

UPDATE: From another artist, here comes the instruction sheet received by sketch card artists.

marvel

THERE'S MORE Click here

From Bleeding Cool

We think that Frazer Brown sums it up oh so well.

FF001_Covera

LATEST NEWS

From Bleeding Cool

Fantastic Four Skinned

So we ran a story and a follow-up about plans at Marvel to put the Fantastic Four comics in hiatus for the duration of the Fox movie production, publicity and release.

It was instantly dismissed by all and sundry, until the more staid and conservative CBR – whose News Editor also moonlights writing PR features for Marvel with Tom Brevoort - backed up key elements of the story.

And it’s still dismissed by most. Marvel’s Senior VPP Brevoort posted ”My denying rumors isn’t likely to keep anybody who’s prone to paranoia from panicking. But really, does this even seem remotely plausible to people? Does it make any sense? Folks have a very strange idea as to the way a business is run.”

But Tom knows exactly what’s going on and why, and his words were chosen with care. Because this is not a rational business choice, it is an emotional one.

THERE'S MORE Click here

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel can't be that stupid, can they?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bleeding Cool is full of sh!t 90% of the time

Marvel would never do something this stupid...they make money off of the films just like Fox does since movies bolster comic sales....remember when Sony released The Amazing Spider-man and Marvel did a Lizard story arc at the same time?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@danhimself: Could it be they're more O.K. with keeping Spider-Man comics going as they're much better sellers than the Fantastic Four?

I don't necessarily understand the logistics of this sort of thing, but Fantastic Four comics seem to be a much smaller part of Marvels profits than the X-Men and Spider-Man. I wonder if they're just low enough sellers to be considered expendable. Kind of like how they say that a series is at risk of cancellation if it sells under a certain number every month(said to be 20,000 copies), perhaps the Fantastic Four franchise just isn't selling enough to be considered in the same leagues as more popular franchises.

Edit: For example, Aprils sales:

60 Fantastic Four 3 $3.99 Marvel 34,930
    100 Ultimate FF 1 $3.99 Marvel 23,316
    47 Silver Surfer 2 $3.99 Marvel 39,132

1 Amazing Spider-Man 1 $5.99 Marvel 532,586
    2 Superior Spider-Man 31 $5.99 Marvel 135,484
    43 Ultimate Spider-Man 200 $4.99 Marvel 41,608
    120 Superior Spider-Man Team Up 12 $3.99 Marvel 20,525
    132 Superior Foes of Spider-Man 11 $3.99 Marvel 18,143

14 All New X-Men 25 $4.99 Marvel 63,827
    17 All New X-Men 26 $3.99 Marvel 58,918
    22 Uncanny X-Men 20 $3.99 Marvel 55,359
    28 Nightcrawler 1 $3.99 Marvel 49,426
    31 Origin II 5 $3.99 Marvel 48,117
    37 Amazing X-Men 6 $3.99 Marvel 45,095
    42 X-Men 13 $3.99 Marvel 42,065
    52 Wolverine 4 $3.99 Marvel 37,732
    53 Wolverine 5 $3.99 Marvel 37,563
    57 Wolverine And X-Men 3 $3.99 Marvel 36,407
    58 Magneto 2 $3.99 Marvel 35,772
    71 X-Force 3 $3.99 Marvel 29,541
    78 X-Force 4 $3.99 Marvel 28,067
    87 All New X-Factor 6 $3.99 Marvel 26,029
    106 All New Doop 1 $3.99 Marvel 22,614
    107 Savage Wolverine 17 $3.99 Marvel 22,350

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've updated the main post

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

well this evidence does make sense Marvel have already removed Galactus and Watcher out of all marvel titles for foreseeable future.

Ultimate FF is going to cancelled anyway issue 1 debuted with around 30,000 issues sold, with pretty negative fan review (especially the art work) Marvel normally cancels series at 12 issues in which sink to 30,000 so Ultimate FF isn't going to increase its readership and will be cancelled by issue 6.

I do wonder if this will actually work in practice, end the comic or reducing its presence won't damage fox that much. Fox lawyers are clever, they will just remind fox to make another movie even if its 1994 bad just to retain the licence to stop marvel profiting.

I wonder if the death of wolverine is related to this, perhaps the first step is killing Wolverine being the most popular x-man, which will reduce readership on any x-men book he stars in. There is evidence including wolverine does boast readership. Maybe the superior spiderman was an attempt at this as well which backed fired?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novemberx2: Have you read All-New Invaders #5? Galactus appears at the end of that issue, and this would appear to be a hint at an upcoming Invaders/Fantastic Four crossover that James Robinson talked about.

"COMIC VINE: Will the story with the Kree and the “Gods Whisper” conclude before Original Sin begins?

JAMES ROBINSON: Yes it will. Although, as you’ll see in issue #5, the final page shows that there’s a much bigger story that’s going to unfold, involving the Kree and the Eternals. There’s also a huge figure in the Marvel Universe that will play out down the line, in both ALL-NEW INVADERS and FANTASTIC FOUR."

I'm guessing the Fantastic Four comics might end after this event. Though maybe they'll be cancelled early and this won't happen at all.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I haven't reader All New Invaders, Last time I checked Galactus was imprisoned in the negative zone of ultimate universe along with ultimate thor. Because there is nothing there too feed on he would die.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novemberx2: Yeah, he's imprisoned there in Invaders. The Eternals are planning to use The Gods Whisper to control him, and use him as a weapon against the Kree.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When I first heard this rumor I quickly discounted it, but now I am not so certain. I have a sneaky suspicion that there is more here than meets the eye.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LATEST NEWS

From Bleeding Cool

Fantastic Four Skinned

So we ran a story and a follow-up about plans at Marvel to put the Fantastic Four comics in hiatus for the duration of the Fox movie production, publicity and release.

It was instantly dismissed by all and sundry, until the more staid and conservative CBR – whose News Editor also moonlights writing PR features for Marvel with Tom Brevoort - backed up key elements of the story.

And it’s still dismissed by most. Marvel’s Senior VPP Brevoort posted ”My denying rumors isn’t likely to keep anybody who’s prone to paranoia from panicking. But really, does this even seem remotely plausible to people? Does it make any sense? Folks have a very strange idea as to the way a business is run.”

But Tom knows exactly what’s going on and why, and his words were chosen with care. Because this is not a rational business choice, it is an emotional one.

THERE'S MORE Click here

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

John Byrne Would Be Happy To Publish Fantastic Four Comics

As the word starts to spread about a rumoured impending cancellation of the Fantastic Four comics for the duration of the publicity drive of the Fantastic Four movie, one man would be happy to provide a solution.

John Byrne, responsible for one of the longest and critically acclaimed runs on the title, has made Marvel an offer on his forums, saying,

Well, if they don’t want ‘em, I’ll take ‘em!

Though as Byrne points out,

This thread brings up a conversation I had with friends, many a moon ago. Someone asked, if I had “a million dollars” and could just BUY the FF from Marvel, would I do it?

I realized immediately that this was a much more complex question than it might seem at first glance. After all, if we think about it for a moment, we quickly realize that the Fantastic Four are not just Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny. THIS is the Fantastic Four:

2014-06-01_075641_ffposterbw.jpg_600

Sure, a few of those characters could be pruned, but without Doctor Doom, Galactus, the Watcher, Annihilus, the Skrulls, the Frightful Four, the Inhumans, the Mole Man, Wyatt Wingfoot, etc, etc. . .

Well, it just would be the same, would it?

Maybe not John, but I reckon you could give it a go. Shame it’ll never happen though…

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spideyfan3160

Wouldn't it just hurt marvel not to make the comic? Also how many people who go to the movies be that effected by not having a comic series. I just don't see how it would hurt fox.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well, we will know the truth within a few months. I hope that Fantastic Four is not cancelled, but I am beginning to wonder...

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

Now It’s Time To Dissect Axel Alonso On The Fate Of The Fantastic Four

We already had fun dissecting Marvel Senior VPP Tom Brevoort‘s take on this, and the wiggle room he left large enough to drive a Fantasti-Car through. Now it’s time for Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso to take it for a spin. Answering the question from CBR

There has been a lot of talk in the industry this week about the possible future of “Fantastic Four.” Last week, CBR published a report saying the books may be taken off the table stemming from issues with 20th Century Fox, who hold the rights to FF films, following an initial report by Bleeding Cool. What can you can say on the record about the matter?

He replied,

The Fantastic Four — Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben — are a vital part of the Marvel Universe, and we have no plans to change that. James Robinson has exciting plans for them in the immediate future — starting with the “Original Sin” tie-in story — and we are continually devising plans to use them in new and surprising ways in the vast landscape of the Marvel Universe, like we do with any Marvel character; in fact, we already know that one of [the FF] will be a huge player in a universe-spanning event down the road.

And while for some folks, that means

@richjohnston Alex Alonso just confirmed that they are not ending F4. http://t.co/xMoqud4QPH

— Luis Melendez (@VenomMelendez) June 6, 2014

It not saying that at all. In our original report we stated that we were told by Marvel sources the FF would still be there, just not in their own book. But still playing a vital part. And this doesn’t contradict that one jot. He continues…

Part of Marvel’s success hinges on the fact that we aren’t afraid to exercise massive flexibility with our catalog of characters. Sometimes, the way we move the pieces around on the board — the death and/or replacement of a character, the dissolution and/or reconstitution of a team — or our choice of characters to spotlight — Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, Inhumans — causes controversy, but that doesn’t inhibit us from taking chances and doing what we think is right for our universe and the characters within it. Wolverine and Spider-Man joining the Avengers was a hugely controversial move that ultimately contributed to the revitalization of that franchise and to the Marvel Universe as a whole. The death of Ultimate Peter Parker got a lot of fans screaming, but it resulted in the birth of the now-beloved Miles Morales. No guts, no glory.

So, something as big as those is planned, it seems. Like, for example, putting the main Fantastic Four book on hiatus. And as Tom Brevoort says, in a year they’ll be publishing the Fantastic Four.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

For the love of God, PLEASE let that happen, Fantastic Four sucks...Only keep Ben Grimm alive, he's alright.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

The Fantastic Four At Marvel In 2015 – But How?

So, you may have read on Bleeding Cool, that Marvel sources told us that Marvel would be pulling the Fantastic Four title from the schedules for the duration of the promotion of Fox’s Fantastic Four movie, as a result of Marvel CEO Isaac Perlmutter‘s dissatisfaction with the Fox Studios situation, regarding the property. We may ave mentioned it a few times, and CBR was on hand to corroborate the news that the titles was, at least than, planned to go on hiatus.

Todat at the NYC Special Edition show, on the Marvel Next Big Thing Panel, Marvel’s VPP Tom Brevoort was asked for his plans for Fantastic Four in 2015, saying

I am going to publish it, and it will have four characters in it. I’ll presume James Robinson will write that all the way into the future. At least until time runs out and then anything can happen.

Peter David later added, jokingly,

Squirrel Girl, Hercules, Creep, and Ghost Rider are the new Fantastic Four.

So what can we deduce from this, as a Bleeding Cool family? Here are some options.

1. We were totally wrong about everything, Fantastic Four isn’t being put on hiatus and will be published as normal – or at least it will be now…
    2. Fantastic Four will be published up until the Time Runs Out event in May 2015 and then go on hiatus, which is about the time that publicity for the Fantastic Four movie will ramp up for its June release.
    3. Could possibly Fantastic Four comic will still exist but with a different cast. A very different cast. And very different to the movie – a creative solution to Perlmutter’s demand.
    4. As you were… we’re getting another creative solution, the Fall And Rise Of The Fantastic Four, including a hiatus, to an emotional business demand from on high.

So… what do we reckon folks? Anyone fancy sticking their neck out, like Mr Fantastic?

FF-2d8fa

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@animehunter: Ahhh. Well I'm glad that they're not pulling the team off just yet... As for it being an entirely new cast I really hope not. The Fantastic Four are old school! I know they're not the most popular or best selling comic but FF are a fun team to read and there is so much history with the team, they can't just get rid of them or revamp the cast and give us new characters.... It just wouldn't feel right! Let's hope that after the reboot comes out we can get back to the importance of comics and that's writing a good damn one so we can keep FF how it was!

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Ahhh. Well I'm glad that they're not pulling the team off just yet... As for it being an entirely new cast I really hope not. The Fantastic Four are old school! I know they're not the most popular or best selling comic but FF are a fun team to read and there is so much history with the team, they can't just get rid of them or revamp the cast and give us new characters.... It just wouldn't feel right! Let's hope that after the reboot comes out we can get back to the importance of comics and that's writing a good damn one so we can keep FF how it was!

What if they replaced them with the Ant-tastic Four/Fantastic Faux from the recent FF series? That would still honour the history to a certain extent, using related characters, and having a comic with Ant-Man featuring regularly would probably appeal to Marvel, what with the film coming out soon and all.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people and your theories…. Marvel isn't going to end Fantastic Four. They're a business, they're not going to try to "spite" Fox by not publishing their comics because they won't give up their movie rights. Man, some of you people really surprise me.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

You people and your theories…. Marvel isn't going to end Fantastic Four. They're a business, they're not going to try to "spite" Fox by not publishing their comics because they won't give up their movie rights. Man, some of you people really surprise me.

Well that's Bleeding Cool saying stuff just so they can get attention .

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@v_scarlotte_rose: I can definitely see them doing that. From the first issue and Sue writing to her daughter I can see her running the new team, which would be great because I love Sue in a leadership position rather than the maternal woman she is... :P But it would be cool to see Scott Lang, he's always been a favourite and always nice to see SheHulk... Not the biggest fan of Darla though.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well there's no Ultimate FF in September. Seems like it could have been cancelled due to low sales though.

Anyway, Fantastic Four solicits, if anyone wants to speculate on them:

FANTASTIC FOUR #10

No Caption Provided

JAMES ROBINSON (W) • MARC LAMING (A)

Cover by LEONARD KIRK

THE FALL OF REED RICHARDS!!!

• A savage and strategic attack on REED RICHARDS!

• Can WYATT WINGFOOT save a self-destructive JOHNNY STORM?

• SUE RICHARDS goes to Latveria to reclaim her daughter...and she’ll take on DR. DOOM if she has to (continuing straight into this month’s FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL)!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #1

No Caption Provided

JAMES ROBINSON (W) • TOM GRUMMETT (A)

Cover by GREG LAND

ATTACK ON CASTLE DOOM!

• SUE RICHARDS goes to Latveria to confront DR. DOOM for the safety and welfare of her daughter VALERIA.

• See the majesty of Dr. Doom’s sovereign country blown apart as he and the Invisible Woman turn Latveria into a battlefield in one of the most savage battles in FF history!

• And when it’s over and the smoke has cleared whose side will Valeria be on?

40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From CBR

Marvel's "Ultimate FF" to End in August with #6

"Ultimate FF" will end in August with issue #6, CBR News has confirmed with Marvel. The series is absent from the publisher's recently released September 2014 solicitations, though a collected edition of all six issues is scheduled out that month.

Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov and illustrated by Mario Guevara and later André Lima Araújo, "Ultimate FF" was announced in January of this year, as part of a line-wide relaunch of Marvel's Ultimate titles. The book starred a Fantastic Four or sorts, though with only one of the usual team members: Sue Storm/Invisible Woman, joined by Tony Stark (Iron Man), Sam Wilson (Falcon) and Machine Man. Issue #1 was released in April, and issue #3 is out this week.

"This is a whole new book," Fialkov told CBR in January. "It's not like any book with the initials FF that you've seen before. We're super excited about what we're doing, and this book is pretty much my dream book. It's the book I always wanted to do. It allows me to explore the Ultimate Universe and maybe even the Marvel Universe in some pretty awesome ways."

Late last month, CBR reported that Marvel had planned a hiatus for both "Fantastic Four" and "Ultimate FF," due to the live-action rights of the franchise residing at 20th Century Fox. Yet it's likely sales were the biggest factor: the reported estimated sales for May's issue #2 put it at No. 141 on Diamond's chart, near the bottom of Marvel's offerings for that month.

CBR has reached out to Fialkov for comment. The final issue of the series, #6, is solicited for release in August.

ULTIMATE FF #6

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/ULTFF2014006-cov-4335a-d5cbd.jpg

JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV (W) • ANDRÉ ARAÚJO (A/C)

• The ULTIMATE UNIVERSE'S worst nightmare approaches

• Jump into the future of the Ultimate Universe as the DOOMSDAY CLOCK counts down.

• The END of the FUTURE FOUNDATION.

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

etobicoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read Original Sin #5 and, without giving away any spoilers, there is a sequence where something FF related stood out to me.

It's a sort of retells the origin of the Marvel Universe from Nick Fury's perspective. Hulk, Thor and Spider-Man are all mentioned as part of it.

...but Fantastic Four, the team that started everything, was conspicuously absent. Could Marvel also be trying to subtly reduce the FF's place in the Marvel mythos to bring it more in line with the Movie-verse? I know it's a small thing but I'm such a huge FF fan and now I'm feeling paranoid.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

CONFIRMED: Fantastic Four To Be Cancelled In 2015 With A Triple-Sized Issue 645, For Fantastic Fourever

It was a story that Bleeding Cool first only offered as a possibility, but as more and more evidence came in, it became more and more likely.

That, as a result of Disney’s highest single shareholder and Marvel CEO Isaac Perlmutter’s anger with Fox Studios over negotiations regarding the film-and-related rights to The Fantastic Four, that Marvel would cancel the Fantastic Four comic rather than provide any promotion, how small it might be, towards the Fox Studios film. Merchandise and licenses were scrapped and even Fantastic Four posters in the offices were pulled down lest Perlmutter see one and have his ire raised. It may not have been logical, but it was a decision born of personal emotion. It was steadied by sense, X-Men wasn’t cancelled for example as the Xbooks sell so well. But Fantastic Four? It may have been the first book of the Marvel Universe, but its sales have continued to drag, even after multiple relaunches with high profile creators. There would be less of a hit to the bottom line if this comic was dropped.

Our story was pooh-poohed by all and sundry, save for CBR who independently confirmed that it was intended for the Fantastic Four to be cancelled. Then the letter about sketch card artists being forbidden to use Fantastic Four characters was made public, Mondo talked about being forbidden to use Fantastic Four characters and today, we we were already planning to run another story about Diamond Select Toys confirming that they are unable to make any Fantastic Four toys.

Right now we are not able to make characters from the FF, but as soon as that changes we will consider them.

But events moved on too quickly. Now the catalogues of Hachette, Marvel’s bookstore distributor, seems to confirm the cancellation at least. With June’s solicitation for James Robinson and Leonard Kirk‘s Fantastic Four: The End Is Fourever.

THE END IS FOUREVER! Witness the closing act on the First Family of the Marvel Universe! THE INVADERS meet the FANTASTIC FOUR as the hunt for REED RICHARDS and the missing kids of the FUTURE FOUNDATION continues. Meanwhile the mastermind behind everything unveils his ultimate plan. But how does FRANKLIN RICHARDS factor in? And how does this all lead to…The END?! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR #642-644 and the Triple Sized Final Issue 645!

Fantastic Four Vol 3 ended with legacy numbering of #611, Matt Fraction‘s run went to #16, which would add up to #627. December’s 2014′s solicited issue for the current volume is #14 which would add up to #641. Which would slip into a renumbering of January’s #642 nicely.

On that basis we might expect Fantastic Fourever to begin in January and the final issue to be published in April. Although the collection before Fantastic Fourever is listed on Amazon as going up to #16… though I can’t worth the addition on that at all. Anyone?

And how this tallies with Tom Brevoort’s statement back in June that,

We are publishing FANTASTIC FOUR. Next month, we will be publishing FANTASTIC FOUR. A year from now, assuming that it’s still selling well, we will be publishing FANTASTIC FOUR.

…I don’t know. I suppose if it isn’t actually being published, then it won’t be selling well. August’s stats has #8 of the comic selling more than Wolverine & The X-Men, Punisher, Nightcrawler and Storm, and way ahead of other to-be-cancelled titles.

Expect the announcement of the cancellation of The Fantastic Four at NYCC. And expect a story-based reason for the cancellation – that they have a great final story for the team and want to give it impact.

Image-441

We have also noted that the Time Runs Out storyline in the Avengers titles, looking forward to April and May, sees Susan Storm as a member of an Avengers team hunting the Illuminati, specifically her now bearded husband Reed Richards, who is in hiding. The Fantastic Four is clearly no more.

That and also feel that the comic could do with a rest, as happened with Thor in the past. Maybe that because the film is so different to the comic, they don’t want confusion in the marketplace. I’m sure there will be a reason given. But people working at Marvel who have spoken without attribution say that, from the beginning, it was all about Ike.

It’s also worth noting that this comic may be cancelled just before the Fantastic Four movie was originally planned to come out. Now that it has been delayed, you may have to wait even longer for the comic to return – after the DVD is out, perhaps?

------

------

From CBR

Following widespread rumors and reports, it appears Marvel's "Fantastic Four" series may indeed end in 2015. As spotted by Bleeding Cool, Hachette Book Group -- Marvel's distributor in the bookstore market since 2010 -- has listed a "Fantastic Four Vol. 4: The End is Fourever" collected edition by current creative team James Robinson and Leonard Kirk, with a release date of June 30, 2015. The product description states that the book will contain the "Triple Sized Final Issue 645."

This seemingly confirms earlier rumors and reports that Marvel was planning to cease publication of the "Fantastic Four" series, at least temporarily, due to dissatisfaction with 20th Century Fox, who control the live-action rights to the characters. This past May, CBR confirmed with multiple industry sources speaking on the condition of anonymity that a hiatus for the property was indeed planned.

CBR News has reached out to Marvel for confirmation of Hachette's listing, which reads in full:

THE END IS FOUREVER! Witness the closing act on the First Family of the Marvel Universe! THE INVADERS meet the FANTASTIC FOUR as the hunt for REED RICHARDS and the missing kids of the FUTURE FOUNDATION continues. Meanwhile the mastermind behind everything unveils his ultimate plan. But how does FRANKLIN RICHARDS factor in? And how does this all lead to...The END?! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR #642-644 and the Triple Sized Final Issue 645!

The description text signifies a change to the series' original numbering in the near future; the latest solicited issue of "Fantastic Four" is #14 of the current volume, scheduled for release in December. Writer Jonathan Hickman's acclaimed "Fantastic Four" run ended with issue #611, and the subsequent volume (primarily by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley), lasted for 16 issues -- putting issue #642 for a likely release in January, with the "Triple Sized Final Issue" potentially in April.

The current volume of "Fantastic Four" has seen much upheaval to the team, including Human Torch losing his powers and The Thing facing murder charges. The current "Time Runs Out" storyline in "Avengers" and "New Avengers," which takes place eight months in the future of the Marvel Universe, depicts the Invisible Woman as part of the Avengers and searching for her husband, Mr. Fantastic.

Given Marvel's tendency to revisit concepts and restart series, even if "Fantastic Four" ends for a while, the odds are certainly low that the book won't be published again in the future. Yet given the book's status within Marvel -- 1961's "Fantastic Four" #1 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby effectively kicked off the Marvel Universe as readers still know it today -- and the fact that it's been a near-constant presence in that 50-plus year span, a period with no new "Fantastic Four" title would be a significant development.

Fox's latest "Fantastic Four" film, a Josh Trank-directed reboot of the previous two live-action movies, is scheduled for release on August 7, 2015.

---

Greg Land's cover for "Fantastic Four" #14, slated for release in December.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/FANFOUR2014014-cov-018d4-bd79d.jpg

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe they just get rolled over into the Avengers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say I have no intent on seeing the FF movie because it seams to stray to much from being a fantastic Four movie and something else all together.

Would be like them making a Thor movie and using a midget to play Thor and instead of giving him a hammer making the weapon a feather duster and making him a her.

So hope one day Marvel gets the group back and returns the group to the normal status and we get a real Galactus and real Surfer this time around as well.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might offend some people, but it's about time. F4 hasn't had a good story run IMO since 1994. That is just my opinion though and the movies... God the movies... They make me want to ... Anyways... Yeah.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinntek1 said:

I might offend some people, but it's about time. F4 hasn't had a good story run IMO since 1994. That is just my opinion though and the movies... God the movies... They make me want to ... Anyways... Yeah.

Did you read Waid or Hickman's runs on the book?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've had good runs and bad runs, currently I don't like the run but I'm more angry at the way Reed's been running around with the Illuminati and the way his team mates and his wife have given him a pass on it. I do believe that if the movie is a success then the Fantastic Four as I knew it will be gone for a very long time and they will craft the next FF title to match the movie.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've had good runs and bad runs, currently I don't like the run but I'm more angry at the way Reed's been running around with the Illuminati and the way his team mates and his wife have given him a pass on it. I do believe that if the movie is a success then the Fantastic Four as I knew it will be gone for a very long time and they will craft the next FF title to match the movie.

If the current series wasn't ending, I do wish that they would have explored the interactions between Reed and Sue as she found out about his actions with the Illuminati and her subsequent infiltration into SHIELD where she was feeding Reed information.

I understand your concern about the FF movie. If this was a MCU property, would be inclined to agree with you. However, since this is a Fox movie, and an origin story, I don't see them making many changes to the books based on the events of the movie if and when the series returns. The movie origin ties directly to the Ultimate U FF so they already told that story and I don't think they will then override the 616 origin. Same thing for Doom. Nothing they do to him in the movie can change his portrayal in the comics. His story is too intertwined with the overall Marvel U, that significant retroactive changes would be extremely hard to make.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: It's not only Sue's reaction, but Ben and Johnny's as well. They didn't deal with that when he helped create Clor either. After what they've done I just don't like the character anymore.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: It's not only Sue's reaction, but Ben and Johnny's as well. They didn't deal with that when he helped create Clor either. After what they've done I just don't like the character anymore.

I agree. I wish the Civil War actions would have had a longer impact than they did. As for what is going on with the Illuminati, we haven't seen either Johnny or Ben in the Time Runs Out future where we see Sue working with Reed. That's one of the many reasons that I am sad the book is coming to an end. I would have loved to see their interactions over that eight month time period, and how it impacted the whole group instead of just Sue and the children.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.