Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5743 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

C2E2 Interview: Jonathan Hickman and Ryan Stegman on FANTASTIC FOUR in August

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When I heard this announcement, I actually heard it in parts. First I discovered that Khoi Pham was taking over art duties on SCARLET SPIDER (with Chris Yost still writing). If you've read my reviews, you know I'm a huge fan of what Yost and Ryan Stegman have been doing on the book. I literally exclaimed a big old "Whaaaat?!?" when I heard (no offense to Khoi Pham). Also if you've been reading my reviews, you know I absolutely love Hickman's run on FANTASTIC FOUR. I can say this is good news all around.

No Caption Provided

Beginning with issue #609, Stegman joins Hickman just in time for the team to deal with the fallout from the destruction of Nu-Earth and will be facing...the Maestro.

We had the chance to ask both gentlemen about what we can expect with the FF.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: Jonathan, from the beginning of your FF run, it seems you've had it all planned out. How much exactly have you had planned? Did you have an overall outline or do the stories grow as you complete each issue/arc?

Jonathan Hickman: Well, the story always grows in the telling. It's kind of impossible not to. For example: I never expected to completely fall in love with Bentley or Dragon Man, but it happens, and you adjust. I did, however, have most of the major beats of the story from the beginning. I knew how I wanted everything to sort of end (and by end I mean issue 604, the conclusion of 'Forever'), but by the fourth issue (Franklin's birthday party), I had it.

CV: You keep adding huge catastrophe after the next. Now we're going to see them face the Maestro. What is it about Maestro that appeals to you?

JH: Ha! Are you really asking me what I find appealing about future, alt-history, parallel Earth versions of characters? If we were making a venn diagram of all the things that make me happy, all we're missing is beer, ladies and soccer.

There's nothing about the Maestro that isn't appealing.

CV: Are there plans for other guest stars or will the Fantastic Four fight this threat on their own?

JH: Threat's not really the right word, more like conflict. The Fantastic Four has been a bit abstract the last few issues as we've gone on adventures where they've basically taken on time, nature, cosmology, and now, in this issue, fate…I guess.

It's good my run is wrapping up. Saves Brevoort from having to fire me.

CV: Is there still a place for Spider-Man on the team?

JH: Of course! There will always be a place for Spider-man in the Fantastic Four. He's family as much as any other character connected to Marvel's First Family.

No Caption Provided

CV: Ryan: Holy crap. I almost freaked out when I heard you weren't doing SCARLET SPIDER anymore. But this is great news.

Ryan Stegman: Haha. Trust me, I freaked out too! But I think it's for a good reason.

CV: You spent some time in Houston to prepare for drawing Scarlet Spider, what are you going to do to get ready for Fantastic Four?

RS: READ a lot of Fantastic Four! I've read a ton of the Lee/Kirby stuff in my Essential volumes. And I've caught up on Jonathan's run. But there's not a lot of research required beyond that because the FF are in NYC, and I've been there a bunch. And drawn it a bunch. So I'm just going to bring my normal approach and hope it works out!

CV: So no trips to the Negative Zone to get a better feel?

RS: Hey, if you know someone that can get me into the Negative Zone, I'd love to go.

CV: If anyone knows how to get there, it'd be Hickman. Is your approach to drawing this book going to differ since there'll be a lot more characters?

RS: I don't think my approach can help but be different! In SCARLET SPIDER, most of the interactions were one on one. When you have more characters, you have to be much more careful and thought out with your staging and where the characters are in a scene. And you have to make sure not to lose sight of the fact that they're all individuals personality-wise and should act accordingly. And action sequences can become very jumbled if you're not careful. But I WILL be careful, so not to worry!

CV: If you get to draw Spider-Man, will you draw his action scenes differently that Kaine's (besides just the costume).

RS: To be honest, I have no idea if I am drawing Spidey in this run yet. But I will say that I would approach him differently in that he would definitely be less brutal than Kaine. Kaine has no restraint, no concerns about how bad he hurts his opponent. But Spider-Man is very careful about that stuff.

CV: What excites you most about being on Fantastic Four? Who are you most excited to draw?

RS: I like the fact that the Fantastic Four are a family. I'm very drawn to that dynamic. My favorite comics are ones like FF and Spider-Man, where you feel like you want to be a part of their lives. Like I wouldn't mind being a member of their family. And then beyond the family dynamic, I am very excited to draw action scenes with the characters. They all fulfill different roles and can do different things. Mr. Fantastic has to be one of the most fun characters to draw in comics because when he starts stretching you can kind of throw anatomy out the window. And the Thing is amazing simply because of his mass. And then you have Sue, and anyone that's followed my career knows that I like to draw women. A lot. And lastly, you have the Human Torch who is a blast to draw, what with all the fire and what not...

I can't say I have ONE that I'm most excited to draw. The easy answer is the Thing. But they all are very exciting in different ways.

If you're not already reading FANTASTIC FOUR, go back and pick up the trades. And then be prepared for more great stories coming this August.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kingjoeg

Surely Stegman will only be on Fantastic Four for 3 issues because he is jumping on at Hickmans third to last issue. Will he come back to Scarlet Spider after because Scarlet Spider raps up a 3 part story at the same time Fantastic Four finishes?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I hope he comes back to Scarlet Spider afterwords, I mean I love the FF and all but I'm really only there for Hickmans run, onces he's done so am I

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#3  Edited By pspin

Pleas stay Hickman!! You made the Fantastic Four cool again!!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator

FANTASTIC!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm so excited!

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By blur1528

I feel like I'm gonna hate whichever artist they put on Scarlet Spider after Stegman leaves...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Definitely on board for hearing more about what will happen with Maestero! Great stuff.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#8  Edited By pingclang

I like Stegman`s art but I must say I'm upset that Ron Garney will be leaving so soon. Then Hickman will be leaving and who knows who will take over the book. Hope it stays awesome cuz I can not cancel that subscription.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64

NOO!Don't leave the Scarlet Spider!!!

Sounds good to me.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Coolness to the max.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE

Other than saying they're cancelled, I'm not sure any news about Fantastic 4, FF, or Scarlet Spider could really phase me in anything but a positive regard. These three books are in my top ten Marvel publications easy, F4/FF in the top five. I look fore ward to whatever they're bringing next and am positive towards the results. Hickman in particular has already proven he's someone to have faith in and solidified his reputation over a long time. Keep up the work. Stuff like this should be the standard for everything else. Thank you Mr. Hickman in particular for all the fantastic comics you've written.

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scarbearer

Well I can't say I'm familiar with Stegman's work, but from the love people have for him I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Am I the only one that's really amped for FF vs. Maestro? I think that could be an awesome showdown!

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By KidSupreme

I heard good thing about this series

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.