Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5741 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Are there any other black comic fans?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By THORSON

Are there any other black comic fans that disagree with the race changes?

Even if you are not black what is your opinion on race changes and the fact that sue storm and johnny are going to be black?

I think its stupid and shouldn't happen and I guess depending on the character.Since human torch and the invisible women has a major and in depth role, race changes should not be done.

This is just making it okay for characters like black panther to be white. Would I be okay with a black THOR? probably not. And I am black.

I just think that since they were white for over 30+ years , why bother change it?

That's just my opinion.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am Puerto Rican and I personally think its dumb that they change the race of a character for what seems like PC reasons. They should be more worried about having a good story, but hey, you can only count on Hollywood for so much.

Avatar image for maximus_newcastle
    Maximus_Newcastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's 'dumb', in the way they shouldn't change the race of iconic characters just to appeal to another demographic. Any black comic geek knows theres not many of us (this thread right here is evidence)

But it's good, in the way it'll give the general public an idea of what leading role black actors would be like as super heroes characters. This move can show a lot of potential for paving the way to other black characters movies; Black Panther, Jon Stewart, Luke Cage, Black Lightning, and maybe even Static Shock. Theres an entire list of untapped black characters that need to break that media race barrier and this would be putting a nice crack in that barrier.

Not just for black characters but even Asian and Hispanic ones.

If your any race other than white and are mad that your favorite FF characters got race flipped, think of it more of an investment in the future for non-white characters, writers, all that, later down the road.

Go see it, buy the dvd, give it good reviews. It's a business and the only way we'll see more black or non white-characters on screen is if we financially support the idea of those characters in films, let the companies know it's stable ground to build on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Hollywood. It's a business. They are trying to appeal to the African-American demographic to make as much profit as they can from their products. I'm sick and tired of seeing "PC" being thrown around. It has nothing to do with that, it is all about the money.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

JFC not this again.

No I do not think it is okay. It's just a way of exploitation,and they're s*itty version of diversity and open-mindedness is just the opposite and an insult to the character and the group that has the "benefit" of the representation. It's a s*itty cover up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "diversity" excuse is just a cover-up for their exploitation. If diversity didn't bring in a little extra dough Hollywood wouldn't give a monkey's uncle about diversity.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm black and I hate race changes just use black characters. I don't really care about Nick Fury since they used the ultimate version. A black Johnny Storm is something I hope doesn't happen because I'm not looking forward to the shit storm after the announcement like when they cast Sam Jackson etc

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@farkam said:

The "diversity" excuse is just a cover-up for their exploitation. If diversity didn't bring in a little extra dough Hollywood wouldn't give a monkey's uncle about diversity.

truth.

Not that this is diversity anyway. More like a slap to the character AND the group...

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I'm black and I'm also against this race change for Johnny and Sue because the comic book universe already have enough black characters (Black Panther, Storm, Cyborg, Jon Stewart) and they should use these characters on the big screen. To me, changing the race of a character is not really going to make that character stand out as their own character. For example, if there was a movie about Storm, then she would be able to stand out as her own character and not as a different version of another character.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I never mind when it's a supporting character. I thought Idris Elba was great as Heimdal. Lawrence Fishburn was ok as Perry White. When its a main character it takes me out of the story a bit though.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's an awful idea to make them black. I'm white. Know what? I'd say the same thing if a black character was made white. It doesn't need to happen.

There are plenty of good white actors to play The Human Torch, and The Invincible Woman. There's no reason to change. And all my black friends, who go see these comic movies would also feel insulted.

We're past the dark age of slavery. We have a black man in office. There's really no need to have to cater to a demographic by making a confirmed white character black.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

Are there any other black comic fans that disagree with the race changes?

Even if you are not black what is your opinion on race changes and the fact that sue storm and johnny are going to be black?

I think its stupid and shouldn't happen and I guess depending on the character.Since human torch and the invisible women has a major and in depth role, race changes should not be done.

This is just making it okay for characters like black panther to be white. Would I be okay with a black THOR? probably not. And I am black.

I just think that since they were white for over 30+ years , why bother change it?

That's just my opinion.

I'm black and I think it's weird to have a black Human Torch and Sue Storm! I agree with what you said!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cool with it. I don't care much about race with comic characters in movies unless race is an important part to the character (Black Panther and Luke Cage come to mind.)

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cool with it. I don't care much about race with comic characters in movies unless race is an important part to the character (Black Panther and Luke Cage come to mind.)

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: How would you feel if Wolverine was changed to a Asian man?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

I'm black and I REALLY hope Michael B. Jordan isn't playing Human Torch because I simply just can't picture Johnny as African American. He'll always be the cocky white guy to me.

Like others have said, just give some existing black characters like Static or Black Panther their own movies instead of changing the race of already establised white ones such as Human Torch.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as theyre still brother and sister. At first, I had heard that only Johnny would be black, and I was like, well what about Sue?! So, anyway, this doesnt bother me.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If Johnny is black i don't mind. Just take it one character at a time. Make Sue an adopted sister.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Most change's are just being done for publicity or promotion. But I don't have any gripes about it as long as the story is good. It really doesn't bother me.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#23  Edited By Joygirl

A good 40% of CV is black I think....

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I rather see T'Challa in the FF movie than Johnny suddenly be black. They better make a clone out of him in the ultimate universe or something.

(+)

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rather see T'Challa in the FF movie than Johnny suddenly be black. They better make a clone out of him in the ultimate universe or something.

(+)

Fox does not gave the rights to Black Panther. The only Black characters they have are X-Men.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I cannot wait.

I Love It!
    I Love It!

Plus, why complain when he has already signed on for the role?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

How does Johnny Storm being adopted affect the story at all?

Now we just need Kit Harington or Richard Madden for Reed, Margot Robbie for Sue, and Alan Ritchson for Ben. Ultimate Fantastic Four is the best version of the team IMHO. I'm happy it's being adapted.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Floopay

Nope, not a single one.... :P

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
    captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's ridiculous.

If Marvel really wanted to address diversity in comics, they could've done so with an already existing Black character. To me, Blue Marvel would've been a no-brainer.

Sheesh. Want to know what's cool about Spawn? He's a Black character for no other reason than.....sometimes people are Black.

How about that for a novel idea. *rolls eyes*

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an awful idea to make them black. I'm white. Know what? I'd say the same thing if a black character was made white. It doesn't need to happen.

There are plenty of good white actors to play The Human Torch, and The Invincible Woman. There's no reason to change. And all my black friends, who go see these comic movies would also feel insulted.

We're past the dark age of slavery. We have a black man in office. There's really no need to have to cater to a demographic by making a confirmed white character black.

Invisible,of course "your black friends" will feel "insulted"and Obama is not black.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can stop thinking that if happened to a character that was not white and was change to white where race isn't that important (for instance War Machine or blade). It would be so wrong and racism but when you allow white characters to change the colour haven't you then just given the white character another benefit versus being a coloured character? The white character is this way more human and more a representation of everybody and the black characters only represent the blacks. If there is no real purpose in changing the colour/ethnicity then why do it? If it doesn't change who the character is then I see no reason for it. Sometimes a coloured actor fit the role very good like Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin - even though I have spoke against this because I think the Kingpin represent a white mafia like organisation. But as an actor he did a great job and his size was perfect for the role. Changing it for the sake of changing it just seem to get good PR and there is no real value behind it. Instead of making all kind of white characters coloured DC and Marvel should do more effort to push book with black characters like John Stewart, Blade, War Machine and Luke Cage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.