Follow

Fantastic Four

Team » Fantastic Four appears in 5741 issues.

An intrepid group of astronauts: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm originally received their powers after being exposed to an immense amount of cosmic radiation during a trip into space. Mutated and given strange powers by this exposure, they became the Fantastic Four and dedicated their abilities to the good of humanity.

Actor Chris Evans Discusses 'Fantastic Four' Relaunch

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

It was recently announced that there would be a relaunch of the Fantastic Four films, so the question on the minds of many people is whether or not we would see the cast of the first film reprising their roles and how they would feel about the relaunch. Actor Chris Evans who played Johnny Storm/The Human Torch in the first two films was asked how he felt about the franchises' relaunch as well as  whether or not he would reprise his role. The actor responded positively, indicating that what matters is making a good film.

"I think it's great. I'm sure it'll be a great movie," Evans said. "They do that with a lot of movies. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. 'Batman,' 'Superman,' 'Incredible Hulk.' Sometimes it's a 10-year gap, sometimes it's five years, sometimes it's 20 years. I think there's room to read just the tone in 'Fantastic Four' as it was for 'Batman. You know, 'Batman' took on a very cartoony feel towards the end and even in the beginning. It was a lighter movie, even though it was Tim Burton. It was still a lighter film and the newer Batman's have just been amazing, so I'm all for good filmmaking. If they can go make a good dark edgy 'Fantastic Four,' right on."

I'm never against revisiting, well I guess I should say not yet, I'm never against revisiting genres or character types. If I played a doctor in one movie I wouldn't be against playing a doctor again if the director was the right director. I think at the end of the day you've got to work with the directors. I do what I do because I like making good movies. It's fun to act but if you just loved acting alone you could sit in your room and act. You could act in a vacuum. You want to make good products. You want to make good films. I love movies and good movies come from good directors and like I said since there isn't this massive surplus of films out there, if a good director offers you a chance to make a good movie, you take it even if you say well I just played a character like that. Who cares? You're a great director. 'Scott Pilgrim,' I played characters similar to that guy but no f*cking way I'm going to say no to this guy. I'm doing your movie. So if 'Fantastic Four' got rebooted and Christopher Nolan was going to direct it and said do you want to play Johnny Storm again, I'd be in those blue f*cking tights."

If you ask me, it does not seem like Evans is really interested in taking on the role of Johnny Storm, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think? Do you feel that a relaunch of a Fantastic Four movie is a good idea? Would you like to see the original cast return to their roles, or do you want a real blond to play ' Sue Storm'?
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hellos

Honestly Chris Evans was an amazing Human Torch, hope the reboot considers grabbing atleast a few of previous actors for the roles.  

Well I can atleast hope :P
    Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Liam Bradley

The fantastic franchise deserves a reboot. Seriously alot of potential for a phenomenal series of movies. I hope they do it.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RedK

as long as Evans and Ioan Gruffudd are involved i'll see it but no more Alba

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King Quisling

Rufus Sewell- Dr.Doom 
    Philip Seymour Hoffman- The Mole Man 
    Aaron Staton- Johnny Storm 
    Christina Hendricks- Sue Storm 
    Noah Wyle- Reed Richards 

I don't know who I'd like to see play Thing but he definitely has to be completely CG.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LoganRogue24

they should keep all the old cast in my opion maybe just try a diferent story or something. i liked the ff movies i had no problems with them.
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the creator

I don't mind them keping the current cast but the reboot would enable them to tie in with all the other films continuity that Marvel are obviously 'wrapping' up.

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Samuraikenpo

chris evans is a good actor in general and he is right.  I am not a huge fantastic four fan but i think he did a good job.  Liked him in Push a little bit more then those movies.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself
    @Babs said:

If you ask me, it does not seem like Evans is really interested in taking on the role of Johnny Storm, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think? Do you feel that a relaunch of a Fantastic Four movie is a good idea? Would you like to see the original cast return to their roles, or do you want a real blond to play ' Sue Storm'? "

Really?  I kind of got the impression that he would thrilled to come back as long as there was a good director attached
    Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I hope everyone returns,I'm not sure about Jessica Alba coming back to play as Sue Stroms/Sue Richard.If she does thats fine with me,because I want her to return too,but we can only hope,pray,or wish  for the them to return.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn

were the first two Fantastic Four films really that bad ? I sorta liked them actually...

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @King Saturn said:
    "

were the first two Fantastic Four films really that bad ? I sorta liked them actually...

"

I'm in agreement with you. I thought the 2nd one was even better than the 1st one. The FF was never really a "dark,gritty" comic book it was to me sci-fi and at times funny. So to me the adaptation of the comic was pretty dead on as far as the feel of the FF. I thought the whole cast was perfect as well and Doom was FINALLY Doom in the 2nd one.
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By buttersdaman000

christ evean was pretty much the best fit for his character..............then again hes pretty much the only FF character i really like.............

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dipic
    @King Saturn said:
    "

"
    I didn't think they were bad, per se, but hardly remarkable.
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Red Rum

We don't need a reboot, what we need is another sequel, a 'threequel', if you will.
    Probably involving Franklin Richards (Reed and Sue's son), and the war between the Kree and the Skrulls (Blue-skinned good aliens and Green, shapeshifting, bad aliens).

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Nahero
    @Red Rum: i agree

by the way the kree are not good either they have done bad stuff and have attempted to conquer or destroy earth
    bigmoneyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigmoneyb

fantastic 4 is a lame superhero team y  give them a movie

Avatar image for marshall_madness
    Marshall Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marshall Madness

Save the re-boot for when the franchise is so trashed no one wants to touch it anymore. (Cause you know it'll get there eventually....)

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the Vica

Chris Evans was the best part of those movies. 

I also kinda liked the dude who played the Thing, but I admit they could probably find someone much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Jessica Alba is blond I never noticed

Avatar image for namelesshenchman
    NamelessHenchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NamelessHenchman

It's going to be hard to make Fantastic 4 gritty, as they're campy anyway. Rebooting the series is smart, as the last 2 weren't so hot, but I don't know how they'll approach it. I'll have an open mind, though. Always down for new superhero movies.

Avatar image for kneel_before_doom
    kneel before doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the problem with the FF films are 3/4 actors doesn't read comic Same for movies base off books as well , they don't know about the character outside the script, while hundreds of audiences does.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I didn't really have a problem with any of the casting outside of Sue and Doom. I would really love to see an All-American Invisible Woman, the essence of what she is in the comics. Jessica Alba does not fit that role whatsoever. Dr. Doom was what they messed up most though. Truly depressing to see arguably Marvels greatest super villain portrayed in a manner that hardly reflects that. So I’d love to see a re-launch…

But Evans clearly doesn’t read comics. An edgy and dark Fantastic Four is like an oxymoron. Since Nolan hit the stage, movie producers seem to cry for comics with gritty realism and ominous feels. That’s Batman! I completely agree. What it’s not is every superhero. Some of these heroes are not meant to be and never have been depicted for a grim and gritty setting. Fantastic Four is one of them. Dr. Doom fits that persona, but Marvels first family…no way. You don’t need a realistic and dark tone to make a good comic book movie!

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Adam Michaels

I think the only one who was miscast was Jessica Alba. I just didn't buy her as Invisible Girl. We all know great actors make you forget about them being great actors and get you involved in their characters, This is what Downey Jr. did as Tony Stark and what Heath Ledger did as Joker. Jessica Alba failed to do that for me as Susan Storm. 

As for the guys, I think they did a good job (with the bad storylines they had to work with). Chris Evans possibly being the best of them all as Torch. Even McMahon as Victor was good. I just think they should have made him darker and more epic (like he is in the comics). I think McMahon would be able to pull it off too. I also hoped they would have given Reed more of his trademark grey stripeline that helps him stand out. 

I also hope they don't retell the origin. We all know it. Even general movie goers know it because even though the films were not that well critically received, they still made a lot of $$. A lot of people went to watch it. At the same time, Fox can give the previous films some validity by counting them as "origin tales" only for fans to use as a referance. They wouldn't have anything to do with this new continuity. 

But in all honesty, I just wish Fox would lose the rights and those would fall back into the hands of Marvel Studios. That way, we can get the Fantastic Four we all believe they can do properly. Not to mention, in some way, shape or form, they can bring them into the same universe as Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Cap, and Avengers. It wouldn't have to include cameos and such. But an example I have is Reed watching the news and the top story is about Avengers or something. So now, we know they are in the same universe.  

Fantastic Four is one of my favorite comics, so I hope they do things right this time around.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @Babs said:

or do you want a real blond to play ' Sue Storm'?

Well, someone has the claws out today.
    Michael Chiklis was great as the Thing. Though in every interview I ever saw with him he expressed his love for that characters.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#25  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The first movie was okay, but it got a little boring in some parts, the second one was great. I thought Chris was great as Johnny Storm, and would like to see him return for FF3 or an FF reboot.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Moomin123

He was good as the Human Torch. If there is a 3rd movie then I think it should either have a Skrull invasion or have Dr. Doom return. Julian McMahon was an excellent Dr. Doom.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I can see a CGI Hulk - I don't particularly care for it, but okay. I can't see a CGI Thing. I actually liked Michael Chiklis. I don't think every story needs to have him revert to Ben Grimm, though.  

The only person I thought was miscast was Jessica Alba. And parts of the story could could have been better. 

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelFrost

I loved Chris Evans as Johnny Storm  :) 
    but if they do a reboot, I'd like to see a fresh cast with fresh faces. :)

I'd like Ryan Kwanten as Johnny Storm. He's hot, has an awesome body and can definately play the cheeky and sexy sides of Johnny.

No Caption Provided
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

Fantastic Four is not a 'dark-edgy' film at all.

comicace1395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By comicace1395

To be honest. Any movie I deciude to see I like. If I was reviewing the movie then I'd be able to give it an honest rating and decide 'maybe the film would of done better without this or with this' but when I'm just watching films I don't expect much I just say 'That looks interesting' and I watch the film. So I'm not disappointed with any comic films like alot of fanboys are. So for me a new FF film would be great.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bio Guyver
    @King Saturn said:
    "

"
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Om1kron

I think at this point in the game I'd rather have the cast return, but make thing the bad ass that he is instead of the puff they've made him on the movie. 

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#33  Edited By Green ankh

he was the only part of the cast i would not want to recast.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By warlock360
    @Hellos said:
    " Honestly Chris Evans was an amazing Human Torch, hope the reboot considers grabbing atleast a few of previous actors for the roles.   Well I can atleast hope :P "
    jarp
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Dark Cell

I though Chris was a good Human Torch, but whatever the studio decides I’m sure will be a good.    
    babynaka2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By babynaka2001

Invisible Woman - Malin Akerman 
    Torch - Chris Pine 
    The Thing -  not sure yet 
    Mr. Fantastic - not sure yet 

any suggestions ppl for these 2 roles???

info nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By info nation

Maybe Chris Evens should play the FIRST Human Torch! sure he was an android, but he was a pretty advanced one, so he's still have his powers, maybe that could be a sub-plot, Kang goes back in time to create the Human torch but he escapes into the future and Kang chases him thinking  Johny in his creation forcing him into a fight with the F.F.!

Avatar image for knightinbatmanarmor
    knightinbatmanarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. I liked Chris Evans personality wise for Johnny. But not for looks. I was kind of bummed that he didn't have blond hair, but it more than made up for it with his acting and character. As far as the original cast, I would like to see something new and fresh. While I enjoyed the first two, there was a lot that can be improved upon and I would like to see it done.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @AngelFrost said:
    "I loved Chris Evans as Johnny Storm  :) 
    but if they do a reboot, I'd like to see a fresh cast with fresh faces. :)

I'd like Ryan Kwanten as Johnny Storm. He's hot, has an awesome body and can definately play the cheeky and sexy sides of Johnny.

"

he would make a good johnny storm too but i would stick with Chris. 

I remember reading articles stating that Chris Evans didnt like those films and playing that role. I think he dis-liked the films more then any other actor on it. 
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DEGRAAF

i thought chris protrayed johnny storm perfectly
    JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JackieEstacado

MAKE CHANNING TATUM THE HUMAN TORCH!!!! AND FANTASTIC FOUR IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNLOVING NOT @!#$ING DARK AND EDGY!!!!!
    darkningdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darkningdawn

Replace Jessica Alba with an actual actress,replace the guy that played doom,and find a better writer.
    brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By brendon277
    @Bio Guyver: 
    I liked 'em too and they should stick with the same people cuz i like seeing jessica alba naked.
    Avatar image for lord_of_the_black_sand
    Lord Of The Black Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@King Quisling said:
    " Rufus Sewell- Dr.Doom
    interesting choice
    COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By COBRAMORPH

I dont want a reboot of their origin story. FF1 was fine enough. I hate origin story movies. Hell, FF1 was better than Ghost Rider 1, & I dont hear that is being rebooted. Just ignore RofTSS & do this little thing call "make a good movie." Besides, Punisher got rebooted & I hear it was worse than the first. 

Just, replace Jessica Allbad.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By King Quisling
    @Lord Of The Black Sand: You think so? I think he's a sorta underminded actor. If you've seen The Illusionist you would see he could pull of the sorta royal monarch persona. Plus, personally I've always pictured Von Doom as looking a lot like Sewell, with some minor scarring. 
    gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gordocomics
    @Green ankh: he was the only part that i would recast
    YOUNGneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By YOUNGneil

I'm happy about his enthusiasm for Scott Pilgrim.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.