inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

From page one, we're treated to why this villain known as The Quiet Man has Reed Richards captive. Is it because somehow Reed screwed him over at some point in his life? Did Reed steal technology from him or did the Fantastic Four destroy his apartment while defending the city? Did Damage Control never fix said apartment? Nope. The Quiet Man hates Reed because he talked to Sue before he could. That's nuts, right? It's crazy in the best way possible. Writer James Robinson continues to give this book this very silver age comic feel, but with contemporary storytelling methods. What you get is this blended storytelling style that has this larger appeal that is capable of entertaining folks young and old.

The opening flashback sequence of Reed talking to Sue really sets off the issue brilliantly. We get to see the world through The Quiet Man's eyes. You won't feel bad for the guy and this perspective won't change anything, but it does give the read a sense of his madness, which continues forward. Things get even crazier when the reader is introduced to the idea that The Quiet Man has been behind the scenes for a long time and once again, James Robinson connects the present to the past, embracing the history of this team. This is something I've loved about his run and written about so many times, but with each issue, he keeps surprising me.

The whole issue makes you want more. Things build up pretty natural here and the progression of each individual story is paced out incredibly well. The book is jam packed with story, so there's a lot to reflect on, but it's all really good stuff.

We can't get through a review of this book without virtually high-fiving Marc Laming and Lovern Kindzierski for those amazing looking flashback sequences. That opening splash page is utterly brilliant and adds so much to the character of The Quiet Man, as a sea of Sue Storm faces, inside of heart bubbles, sits behind a joyous Quiet Man. The choice of the subtle pink background is perfect and Laming just nails the opening pages. This is how splitting art duties should be done. It makes sense. As the book goes on, Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel, Jesus Abrutov, and Tamra Bonvillain roll on with some gorgeous art and a two-page spread of the Quiet Man that is stunning with this great perspective which has the eye leading to the center of the page and wandering from there. The art on this book is incredible.

The Bad

The only rough part about this series, which isn't necessarily bad if you read this as a collection or trade, is that there is so much going on that month-to-month you forget about certain storylines and have to go back a few issues to help catch up on what's going on. Robinson's FANTASTIC FOUR is something that works better in trade than monthly. While this is going to be a book I ultimately tell you to buy each month, trades are also a good way to go with it. Screw it, double dip.

The series is coming to an end, and without sounding like a broken record, that sucks. We'll leave it at that.

The Verdict

This volume of FANTASTIC FOUR is something that reads incredibly well in a collected edition. There's a lot happening, which can sometimes bog down a monthly issue read, but overall, this run of FANTASTIC FOUR is downright amazing. The way the issue and series embraces the past is something that speaks to new and old readers alike. I hate the fact this series is ending, but this is some of my favorite writing to come out of James Robinson. There's a real love for the book and the team and it shows. Go out and pick this issue and series up.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am starting to get the sense that near the end of this run we are going to find out they "6th Sensed" the characters and during this storyline they have been dead, living out in some guys dream. I really felt that today.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am starting to get the sense that near the end of this run we are going to find out they "6th Sensed" the characters and during this storyline they have been dead, living out in some guys dream. I really felt that today.

Fourception!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Another good addition to the run. It is sad knowing that it is going to come to an end, but Robinson is handling it wonderfully. You can see how much he knows about FF history and has pulled a lot of those pieces into the series. Looking forward to what he has in store.

This is the one series that I am refusing to read any future solicits. I want to enjoy t as it comes and not spoil any of the finale.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great book¡¡

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I'm really enjoying Robinson's FF run.

Why does this remind me of how his run on Justice League was cut short and ended by The New 52 reboot...

Fantastic4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I kind of like how falling in love with Sue has 100% chance of turning you into a villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.