undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Matt Fraction has created enough universes and timelines at this point that he could be swimming in spin-off titles for the rest of his career and they are, for the most part, absolutely fantastically established and built upon, even if we only spend one or two issues there. This time we’re shunted to the hyper-advanced society of Celeritas as Reed tries to make amends with his still-upset daughter Valeria over keeping his, and the rest of the Fantastic Four’s, deteriorating conditions a secret. One of the planet’s main pillars is scientific advancement, which puts Valeria right at home as she immediately sets to work in one of their labs. All is, of course, not as it seems, however, as a group of terrorists from the future steal a building that Johnny, Reed and Valeria were inhabiting. Their demands? They have none, they just think everything used to be so much better than it is now and they steal things from the past to ensure that there is no more future (since everything sucks now) in what is another entry in Fraction’s continuing mockery of elitist fanboyism (remember the Yancy Street Dummies?). He does it with a definite wink, nod and nudge and while I definitely agree with his sentiment that nostalgia tends to make fools of us all, I’m happy that he’s not being vicious or mean-spirited about it as that would be just as petty as those he mocks.

Mark Bagley continues to supply the shining happy pencils while Joe Rubinstein brings those pencils into sharp, sometimes jagged, detail with his inks and Paul Mounts makes everything even shinier and happier with glowing, bombastic colors. There’s almost as much power management going on in this issue as there is panel management, which is to say an absolute metric TON of both, but the artists never lose control of panel flow and the visuals, with a couple of easy-to-overlook exceptions, are never indistinct or unclear.

The Bad

As much as I love the creativity and enthusiasm that Fraction throws into every issue, I found this one in particular to be the hardest yet to follow. Fraction tends to plow ahead full-steam with both plot and dialog leaving little room for exposition, which does keep things sounding naturalistic. The problem is he also doesn’t pause to establish context for a lot of these events but there are strange and confusing things happening, even by superhero standards, and the book only says maybe a couple of words about them before moving RIGHT into the next thing. I’ve also mentioned before, but it’s especially egregious here, the way the world, nay UNIVERSE, fawns over Valeria and her limitless, flawless genius makes her a tad insufferable. If it were tinged with some childlike naivete or flaws, that would make her a great deal more interesting, but it’s the same problem I had with the novel The Name of the Wind: this child prodigy is always right, beloved by all, and completely flawless. The art also comes off as rushed, with a lot of the visuals appearing jagged and indistinct, but Mark Bagley and co. are still some of the best in the biz, so their “rushed” is better than many “standards.”

The Verdict

This book still gushes with creativity and enthusiasm and that makes it a lot of fun to read and experience. It’s by no means a perfect book, but the good outweighs the bad enough to make it an easy recommendation, especially if you’re looking for something a little more lighthearted, but not strictly for children, on the shelf. I really do admire how much Fraction and Bagley have created in the already expansive Marvel Universe and timeline, how much uniqueness this book brings to the shelf, and that enthusiasm counts for an awful lot.

BIGALWILLIAMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unfortunate that Matt Fraction is leaving this book and FF to move onto the new Inhumans title.

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a little hit and miss. I already dropped it once only to be pulled in again but like you said the good outweighs the bad.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@bigalwilliams: I know he's going to be doing the Inhumans but when was it announced he was leaving?

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Today. Just check out CBR's front page. Sounds like Mike Allred confirmed on twitter that he is Leaving FF after 16 also.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#5  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Fraction left FF and F4. YAY for more HAWKGUY!!!

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By kilomac29

Wow, @undeadpool nice Patrick Rothfuss reference. I hated Kvothe, it seemed pretty obvious that the book was written by a guy who "knew" he was smarter than all of his undergrad professors.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@vpuik: Huh I was enjoying it, I hope whoever takes over gets back to the crazy science adventures Hickman used to write.

Avatar image for ink_is_my_drink
    Ink_Is_My_Drink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic Four has been a bit disappointing at times but FF has been such an enjoyable series from Fraction and Allred. Bit of a bummer they're hopping off it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.