Follow

Sam Wilson

Character » Sam Wilson appears in 2465 issues.

A social worker turned hero, Sam Wilson's bleak outlook on life was wiped away the day he met Captain America. Using a winged costume and his remarkable combat prowess and avian telepathy, he became the Falcon - defender of Harlem, and eventually bearer of Captain America mantle.

Why I find Falcon the least likeable.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

I think probably because eventhough he can fly and he has a hawk with him, I still would prefer Luke Cage, Black Panther or Storm over him.

I just don't really find him as interesting as the other black comic characters I've mentioned.

That's why sometimes i wonder why Marvel would pick him to represent the black community like on the first marvel superhero squad game.

And he's even one of the 18 Avengers for Marvel Now when Storm, Black Panther and Cage are the better add to the team.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

I bet they go with the Ultimate Spy version ala Hawkeye.  All black everything Falcon. Have him as a SHIELD scientist/agent And if he has a bird make it a robot. scout he made himself.

But what I cant figure out is why they went with the clown color scheme for the new cartoon they're making.

I think If they go with any variation of a red/white suit - Mackie will come off looking like a douche. Ultimate version seems obvious, SHIELD military training, scientist.

*Note: According to wikipedia: Originally depicted as a former social worker, motivated by a desire to better the lives of inner-city youth, In 1975, Steve Englehart "revealed" the Falcon was a mob-connected thug and pimp whose memories were altered by the reality-warping Cosmic Cube. He was also a mutant but that part was retconned.

Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cytorrak

Storm is an X-Men character. I know she's an Avenger now, but the reason I say that is Fox still has the rights to all the X-Men characters. Anything X-Men, Spider-Man or Fantastic Four related can't be used in Marvel Studios films yet. Wanna see Storm in an Avengers movie? Then tell everyone not to go to the next X-Men: First Class film, so the franchise will become unprofitable enough that they let the rights revert to Marvel. So far they got Daredevil back, so that's a start.

Black Panther presents a host of problems that would make him hard to like by the general audience. He doesn't have any iconic villains or stories, and his abilities aren't terribly interesting.

I've never been fond of Luke Cage being an Avenger, because I don't like Bendis's take on him. I prefer him in his Heroes for Hire days, so I'm biased here. I just do not like Luke Cage as he currently exists. He's incredibly boring and generic, his origin is terrible, and he doesn't even wear a costume.

Personally, I like Falcon. He's got a long history in the comics, and his abilities aren't useless. Being able to talk to birds sounds useless, but if handled right it could work. As for his suit, if it was explained to be a prototype he threw on by necessity then I think with a little tinkering the color scheme would be fine, but then I've always preferred red to black.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i agree with jhazzroucher i don't care for falcon either maybe the movie or the show avengers assemble will change my opinion of him. i prefer black panther or luke cage as opposed to lamefalcon that can just fly and that's it. @ jhazzroucher do you know there no character development for them in the ult. universe? bp is mute and cage is a villian then he never shows up again. why is falcon so cool to the masses?

homosexuality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By homosexuality

falcon is the lamest super hero just kill me now turn another hero black like Nick fury.

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By scuzz2.0

I like Falcon, most of the time. He doesn't really seem to have his own personality. Changing into whatever the writer needs him to be. I do like the version written by Brubaker though. he was kick ass.

Most black characters are under used, like there is some sort of rule that they cant all be used at the same time. Blade has a movie trilogy and a tv show yet no comic? WTF! Marvel now was the perfect time to give him an ongoing.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By John Valentine

Boring as.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Blood1991

A shame Falcon is going to be the black superhero they use over Black Panther or Photon.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#9  Edited By Teerack

Well as racist as I find racking my favorite black people I'd say he's probably tied for number for me. Next to Black Panther.

Falcon has always reminded me of a black guy version of Cap. Which works out great because in the last few years he's mostly been a supporting character in Captain America books and not really in Avengers books.

Plus he can talk to bird....that's almost as cool as Aquaman talking to fish.

And like...no offense to anyone, but....have you really read much about him? Because I'm really glad he'll be part of the Marvel Now team when he's always been one of the most loyal and reliable team members.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By SoA

@jhazzroucher: you are not alone on this , i cannot stand falcon , but i do agree his ultimate version is pretty cool

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mutant God

@Teerack said:

Well as racist as I find racking my favorite black people I'd say he's probably tied for number for me. Next to Black Panther.

Falcon has always reminded me of a black guy version of Cap. Which works out great because in the last few years he's mostly been a supporting character in Captain America books and not really in Avengers books.

Plus he can talk to bird....that's almost as cool as Aquaman talking to fish.

And like...no offense to anyone, but....have you really read much about him? Because I'm really glad he'll be part of the Marvel Now team when he's always been one of the most loyal and reliable team members.

So is that it, is Falcon the Aquaman of the Avengers?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By Teerack

@Mutant God: You know I never thought about it like that, but I'd say yeah to a degree.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I feel Falcon gets more hate than he deserves. People claim his powers to "talk to birds" is lame but if we were to sit down and be honest, on a covert team like Secret Avengers or for S.H.I.E.L.D. his powers would be very helpful in things such as recon and surveillance. I do agree that he shouldn't be on team's such as the Avengers, but his abilities are pretty useful when the situation requires them.

TheNewFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He does not just talk to birds, on several occasions he has demonstrated control over them, if he went bad he could make the film 'birds' be a real nightmare... 6 billion in the states under his control..

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Veshark

So his importance or character merit is ranked solely on comparisons to other black characters? Seems...off (on that note, Black Panther and Storm aren't technically 'black', being African and all).

Falcon's a groovy cat. He just needs to be written correctly. Like with Brubaker. He's also shown some cool use of his powers in Hickman's run.

Also Storm, Cage, and BP are not better additions to the Avengers, imo. I've never been a fan of X-Men in the Avengers, hence why I wouldn't like Storm in the team. Cage has already spent enough time in Bendis' run and frankly needs to go. BP's onto much bigger things now with the Illuminati.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

I love the way Ed Brubaker writes Falcon

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

So his importance or character merit is ranked solely on comparisons to other black characters? Seems...off (on that note, Black Panther and Storm aren't technically 'black', being African and all).

Lol are you trolling or what

Falcon is lame

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Lol are you trolling or what

Falcon is lame

From our good friend Wikipedia:

The term black people is an everyday English-language phrase, often used in North America to refer to Americans and Canadians of Sub-Saharan African descent

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: with that logic European Caucasians aren't white

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: with that logic European Caucasians aren't white

Tell it to the academia - I'm just giving you the stated definition.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@veshark: Well that's a stupid definition used to separate Africans and African Americans when African Americans came from West Africa. Being black is just a skin color no need to get deep with definitions

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Veshark

@veshark: Well that's a stupid definition used to separate Africans and African Americans when African Americans came from West Africa. Being black is just a skin color no need to get deep with definitions

You're more than welcome to hold an opinion. Even if it's wrong.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@veshark said:

@grenadeflow said:

You're more than welcome to hold an opinion. Even if it's wrong.

nothing is wrong with my opinion (Which isn't even an opinion because of genetics ) but ok...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon looks awsome in the new Cap movie

Starbrander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon looks awesome in the new Cap movie

Which is really all that matters.

Black Panther would be too much like a Black Captain America. Luke Cage is not all that interesting and Storm is a different studio.

And watch the new trailer again and look how cool Falcon looks.

Loading Video...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrander: Sam was the right way to go.Luke will do fine on Netflix with the Defenders.I think War Machine was miscast

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By fodigg

He always struck me as silly. "He has wings and talks to birds". Okay. Never caught onto why I was supposed to find him compelling. I prefer the non-powered take that he's just a highly capable SHIELD agent that rocks a winged flight suit. I do think his new costume design is amazing. Actually makes me want to like the character, even with the bird-talking.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 vance_astro  Moderator

I feel like Falcon is only as lame as he is because he's black. Yea, I went there.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

To me, Falcon is as silly as everyone thinks Aquaman is. Replace "swims fast" with "flies fast" and "talks to fish" with "talks to birds". At least Aquaman is a king has rich, interesting stoies, and has super strength.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Falcon is only as lame as he is because he's black. Yea, I went there.

"Let's make a Black character."

"Ok, since he is Black let's make him lame"

You mean like that? ^

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MakkyD

@jhazzroucher: You wonder why he's chosen for the Avengers over the others you mentioned, even though he's more loyal to them than any that you've mentioned?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 vance_astro  Moderator

@farkam said:

@vance_astro said:

"Let's make a Black character."

"Ok, since he is Black let's make him lame"

You mean like that? ^

Something like that, yes.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon sux. He looks like Vulture's "soulful" black partner/lover, and his ability to talk to poultry is hilariously stereotypical

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was awesome in the movie and he's cool in ultimates and Mighty Avengers

WarShield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was awesome in the movie and he's cool in ultimates and Mighty Avengers

true

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

@vance_astro: Falcon can be pretty cool. His control over bird life is useful and he's very creative with it. He's an amazing athlete and combatant as well who has proven capable of going toe to toe with guys like Taskmaster.

It sounds to me as if he suffers from inconsistent potrayal and bad retcons as well as lack of a solid solo Rogues gallery.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vance_astro  Moderator

@vance_astro: Falcon can be pretty cool. His control over bird life is useful and he's very creative with it. He's an amazing athlete and combatant as well who has proven capable of going toe to toe with guys like Taskmaster.

It sounds to me as if he suffers from inconsistent potrayal and bad retcons as well as lack of a solid solo Rogues gallery.

In a world with Gods, Mutants, All types of Supernatural beings, Falcon doesn't stand out. He and Cage have the most generic power and abilities sets I've ever seen. He's also NOT really capable of going toe to toe with Taskmaster. The best fighters in the Marvel Universe mostly have trouble with Taskmaster and Falcon isn't one of them. He does suffer from inconsistent portrayal, but that's not reason he doesn't work. He's just nothing special. You see what they did with Warren when they turned him into Archangel? That's what Falcon needed. Turning into Captain America makes no sense unless we pretend he wasn't virtually useless for years. Falcon at one point couldn't even make an active roster of Avengers although he was dead or occupied with anything else.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: I'm not sure I understand the Archangel point but I guess I get the rest. I seem to have bad taste in characters

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@vance_astro: I'm not sure I understand the Archangel point but I guess I get the rest. I seem to have bad taste in characters

Before Warren became Archangel he was just a dude with wings. Outside of his personality and his skills there was nothing special about him. When he became Archangel it gave him a more bad ass long and made him more of a threat in combat.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: okay. That's what I thought you meant and that definitely makes sense. It's a pity they didn't let Sam keep his super soldier serum powers from counter earth/heroes reborn. Maybe do that and upgrade his suit to be on the level it was in Avengers assemble (with the impact/explosive projectiles and the sonic weapons, snares, Flash grenade, energy talons etc). The might as well give him a drone now as well sEwing as how Redwing hangs out with Joaquin now. They could have him improve his h2h as well. Just a few ideas

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By micahparadise

Personally I like falcon AS A SUPPPORTING CHARACTER not as a lead. His run as captain America was interesting but I have never seen a captain America take so much beating in every issue like Sam has ?. It was a bit disappointing for me personally as the captain America title is one respected. His powers are generic and the only thing that made him special was his character portrayal and loyalty.

I always had hope for Sam to get upgraded somehow and when I saw the ultimate version, I was hoping that would become his 616 universe feel and look. But his run as captain America was a real disappointment for me as I think his character is a real good and likable one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.