Why I find Falcon the least likeable.

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15212 posts) - - Show Bio

I think probably because eventhough he can fly and he has a hawk with him, I still would prefer Luke Cage, Black Panther or Storm over him.

I just don't really find him as interesting as the other black comic characters I've mentioned.

That's why sometimes i wonder why Marvel would pick him to represent the black community like on the first marvel superhero squad game.

And he's even one of the 18 Avengers for Marvel Now when Storm, Black Panther and Cage are the better add to the team.

#2 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet they go with the Ultimate Spy version ala Hawkeye.  All black everything Falcon. Have him as a SHIELD scientist/agent And if he has a bird make it a robot. scout he made himself.

But what I cant figure out is why they went with the clown color scheme for the new cartoon they're making.

I think If they go with any variation of a red/white suit - Mackie will come off looking like a douche. Ultimate version seems obvious, SHIELD military training, scientist.

*Note: According to wikipedia: Originally depicted as a former social worker, motivated by a desire to better the lives of inner-city youth, In 1975, Steve Englehart "revealed" the Falcon was a mob-connected thug and pimp whose memories were altered by the reality-warping Cosmic Cube. He was also a mutant but that part was retconned.

#3 Posted by mrmisanthrope (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm is an X-Men character. I know she's an Avenger now, but the reason I say that is Fox still has the rights to all the X-Men characters. Anything X-Men, Spider-Man or Fantastic Four related can't be used in Marvel Studios films yet. Wanna see Storm in an Avengers movie? Then tell everyone not to go to the next X-Men: First Class film, so the franchise will become unprofitable enough that they let the rights revert to Marvel. So far they got Daredevil back, so that's a start.

Black Panther presents a host of problems that would make him hard to like by the general audience. He doesn't have any iconic villains or stories, and his abilities aren't terribly interesting.

I've never been fond of Luke Cage being an Avenger, because I don't like Bendis's take on him. I prefer him in his Heroes for Hire days, so I'm biased here. I just do not like Luke Cage as he currently exists. He's incredibly boring and generic, his origin is terrible, and he doesn't even wear a costume.

Personally, I like Falcon. He's got a long history in the comics, and his abilities aren't useless. Being able to talk to birds sounds useless, but if handled right it could work. As for his suit, if it was explained to be a prototype he threw on by necessity then I think with a little tinkering the color scheme would be fine, but then I've always preferred red to black.

#4 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with jhazzroucher i don't care for falcon either maybe the movie or the show avengers assemble will change my opinion of him. i prefer black panther or luke cage as opposed to lamefalcon that can just fly and that's it. @ jhazzroucher do you know there no character development for them in the ult. universe? bp is mute and cage is a villian then he never shows up again. why is falcon so cool to the masses?

#5 Posted by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

falcon is the lamest super hero just kill me now turn another hero black like Nick fury.

#6 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Falcon, most of the time. He doesn't really seem to have his own personality. Changing into whatever the writer needs him to be. I do like the version written by Brubaker though. he was kick ass.

Most black characters are under used, like there is some sort of rule that they cant all be used at the same time. Blade has a movie trilogy and a tv show yet no comic? WTF! Marvel now was the perfect time to give him an ongoing.

#7 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Boring as.

#8 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

A shame Falcon is going to be the black superhero they use over Black Panther or Photon.

#9 Edited by Teerack (5423 posts) - - Show Bio

Well as racist as I find racking my favorite black people I'd say he's probably tied for number for me. Next to Black Panther.

Falcon has always reminded me of a black guy version of Cap. Which works out great because in the last few years he's mostly been a supporting character in Captain America books and not really in Avengers books.

Plus he can talk to bird....that's almost as cool as Aquaman talking to fish.

And like...no offense to anyone, but....have you really read much about him? Because I'm really glad he'll be part of the Marvel Now team when he's always been one of the most loyal and reliable team members.

#10 Posted by SoA (4707 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: you are not alone on this , i cannot stand falcon , but i do agree his ultimate version is pretty cool

#11 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Well as racist as I find racking my favorite black people I'd say he's probably tied for number for me. Next to Black Panther.

Falcon has always reminded me of a black guy version of Cap. Which works out great because in the last few years he's mostly been a supporting character in Captain America books and not really in Avengers books.

Plus he can talk to bird....that's almost as cool as Aquaman talking to fish.

And like...no offense to anyone, but....have you really read much about him? Because I'm really glad he'll be part of the Marvel Now team when he's always been one of the most loyal and reliable team members.

So is that it, is Falcon the Aquaman of the Avengers?

#12 Posted by Teerack (5423 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God: You know I never thought about it like that, but I'd say yeah to a degree.

#13 Posted by War Killer (19999 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I feel Falcon gets more hate than he deserves. People claim his powers to "talk to birds" is lame but if we were to sit down and be honest, on a covert team like Secret Avengers or for S.H.I.E.L.D. his powers would be very helpful in things such as recon and surveillance. I do agree that he shouldn't be on team's such as the Avengers, but his abilities are pretty useful when the situation requires them.

#14 Posted by TheNewFalcon (127 posts) - - Show Bio

He does not just talk to birds, on several occasions he has demonstrated control over them, if he went bad he could make the film 'birds' be a real nightmare... 6 billion in the states under his control..

#15 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

So his importance or character merit is ranked solely on comparisons to other black characters? Seems...off (on that note, Black Panther and Storm aren't technically 'black', being African and all).

Falcon's a groovy cat. He just needs to be written correctly. Like with Brubaker. He's also shown some cool use of his powers in Hickman's run.

Also Storm, Cage, and BP are not better additions to the Avengers, imo. I've never been a fan of X-Men in the Avengers, hence why I wouldn't like Storm in the team. Cage has already spent enough time in Bendis' run and frankly needs to go. BP's onto much bigger things now with the Illuminati.

#16 Edited by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the way Ed Brubaker writes Falcon

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1375 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

So his importance or character merit is ranked solely on comparisons to other black characters? Seems...off (on that note, Black Panther and Storm aren't technically 'black', being African and all).

Lol are you trolling or what

Falcon is lame

#19 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Lol are you trolling or what

Falcon is lame

From our good friend Wikipedia:

The term black people is an everyday English-language phrase, often used in North America to refer to Americans and Canadians of Sub-Saharan African descent

#20 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1375 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: with that logic European Caucasians aren't white

#21 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: with that logic European Caucasians aren't white

Tell it to the academia - I'm just giving you the stated definition.

#22 Edited by GrenadeFlow (1375 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well that's a stupid definition used to separate Africans and African Americans when African Americans came from West Africa. Being black is just a skin color no need to get deep with definitions

#23 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well that's a stupid definition used to separate Africans and African Americans when African Americans came from West Africa. Being black is just a skin color no need to get deep with definitions

You're more than welcome to hold an opinion. Even if it's wrong.

#24 Edited by GrenadeFlow (1375 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@grenadeflow said:

You're more than welcome to hold an opinion. Even if it's wrong.

nothing is wrong with my opinion (Which isn't even an opinion because of genetics ) but ok...

#25 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio

Falcon looks awsome in the new Cap movie

#26 Posted by Starbrander (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Falcon looks awesome in the new Cap movie

Which is really all that matters.

Black Panther would be too much like a Black Captain America. Luke Cage is not all that interesting and Storm is a different studio.

And watch the new trailer again and look how cool Falcon looks.

#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio

@starbrander: Sam was the right way to go.Luke will do fine on Netflix with the Defenders.I think War Machine was miscast

#28 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

He always struck me as silly. "He has wings and talks to birds". Okay. Never caught onto why I was supposed to find him compelling. I prefer the non-powered take that he's just a highly capable SHIELD agent that rocks a winged flight suit. I do think his new costume design is amazing. Actually makes me want to like the character, even with the bird-talking.

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Falcon is only as lame as he is because he's black. Yea, I went there.

#30 Edited by The Stegman (23234 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, Falcon is as silly as everyone thinks Aquaman is. Replace "swims fast" with "flies fast" and "talks to fish" with "talks to birds". At least Aquaman is a king has rich, interesting stoies, and has super strength.

#31 Posted by Farkam (4821 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Falcon is only as lame as he is because he's black. Yea, I went there.

"Let's make a Black character."

"Ok, since he is Black let's make him lame"

You mean like that? ^

#32 Edited by MaccyD (3587 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: You wonder why he's chosen for the Avengers over the others you mentioned, even though he's more loyal to them than any that you've mentioned?

#33 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@vance_astro said:

"Let's make a Black character."

"Ok, since he is Black let's make him lame"

You mean like that? ^

Something like that, yes.

#34 Posted by Daiohnysis (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Falcon sux. He looks like Vulture's "soulful" black partner/lover, and his ability to talk to poultry is hilariously stereotypical

#35 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio

He was awesome in the movie and he's cool in ultimates and Mighty Avengers

#36 Posted by WarShield (14 posts) - - Show Bio

He was awesome in the movie and he's cool in ultimates and Mighty Avengers

true

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.