Follow

Sam Wilson

Character » Sam Wilson appears in 2472 issues.

A social worker turned hero, Sam Wilson's bleak outlook on life was wiped away the day he met Captain America. Using a winged costume and his remarkable combat prowess and avian telepathy, he became the Falcon - defender of Harlem, and eventually bearer of Captain America mantle.

Falcon a public service announcement

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

Edited By A-Strondinaire

Even his costume and poses look lame

Ah Falcon where do I begin ok how about the fact that your powers aren't that cool you'll never be as cool as any Avengers X-Men or even a random Shield agent for that matter and I don't know you personality-wise but from what i've seen you're a bore. I will respect him as the first African American superhero of marvel but I will absolutely not be happy about it. With no disrespect to the 6 Falcon fans I just have say this I despies Falcon, he is the poster child for affirmative action. It's just something about him that screams forced creation he's like scrappy doo he was good in theory but on paper he's just crap. I'm so sick of everyone pointing out he's African american so what? I'm all for black power but in his case I would rather start a racial draft (for more info see Dave Chapelle) I'm tired of people acting as if he's such a credit to the race he's not. 
    Random Civilian: Uh wheres Spider-Man?

Do you think with heroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk I would want to be a guy whose highest claim to fame is he talks to birds and has wings? no it is so lame, I know Superheroes are suppoused to be more amazing then humans but having wings and talking to a bird are less sought after to a crawling on walls or Super strength. I write this in response the Spider-Man/Donald Glover fiasco where they said there were other parts for him to play in the Marvel universe and everyone started suggesting Falcon. When I heard this I yelled no not even Falcon would want to play Falcon,  although I realized the boy could never pull off his own movie.  No self-respecting African American child would want to look up to that as a hero I know I didn't. The point of this rant is stop naming off Falcon as some african american comic messiah the boy is a token, even quit the team because he realized it.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By A-Strondinaire

If a mod could move this please

omdway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By omdway

You could say similar things about John Stewart. But i think both characters have come into their own since their 'forced' creation. Admittedly, neither Falcon or JS-GL are Black Panther but Id say they were worthwhile characters...personally.
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Death Certificate

To be honset if writers were more creative with falcon and give stories that define his character, he could be alot more than he is now.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Jotham

I think he's okay. I'm not a fan, but he seems pretty cool.

coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coolbeans

Cmon man dont be so harsh, I wouldnt say Falcon is my favorite character but he's not that bad,  He is one of steve rogers best friends and does well in the roles marvel gives him.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Falcon needs to be a more popular character. 
    Just Sayin'.
    gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gambit987

Read death of captain america vol 1, 2 and 3. Maybe you grow some respect for the character.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By A-Strondinaire

I'm sorry I just can't do it I tried liking him but it just wasn't there he came off as a forced stereotype (father was murder in the mean streets of harlem) its just something that just makes me sigh. John Stewart I haven't read too much about his back-story but I like him personality wise from what I have seen even though I'm not a fan of the Green Lanterns. Like I said I can tolerate him but people trying to sell him like he's the hottest thing since Spider-Man for African Americans I just won't believe it I refuse.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#9  Edited By Liberty
    @A-Strondinaire:   Where you see token I see pioneer.  Does his powers suck  yes without a doubt but it doesn't have to be that way.  Look at Aquaman.  He talks to fish.  No much better but Aquaman has super-strength as well.   Give Falcon a good writer and artist and give him a four-issue mini series where he gets transformed into a better character.  There are so many characters like Falcon who have bad sterotype backgrounds but it doesn't have to be that way.  

Let's look at DC for a second.  Black Lightning is a great hero all except his name.  Stop calling him BLACK Lightning.  How about just calling him Lightning.  No one call Aquaman, White Fish.  Black Lightning is a great character. He was an Olympian and a professor who became a superhero after he saw a gifted student get murdered.  Both Falcon and Black Lightning and many others could be great.   If given the chance.

Instead we got companies like DC killing off loved white characters to have minorities take up the mantle.  Blue Beetle, Question and Firestorm just to name a few.  Instead of building up or rebooting these characters DC just makes more token characters.   Look what the DCAU did for John Stewart.  He sucked until they made him a marine.  All of a sudden he had a personality.  He was no longer the black Green Lantern.  He became the marine in the corps.  

Falcon is a pioneer who if Marvel tried a little they could make him into a great character.  Besides it could have been worse.  Marvel could have named him Black Falcon.
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @Liberty:
    Now honestly I totally agree Black lightining never has gotten my attention he at least gets my respect aside from the name. Aside from all this Falcon could be done better starting with the powers. With Aquaman the Fire truck of DC universe at least they really try to make him more interesting with the magic water hand but I still don't find him no where near on Superman or even half the Teen Titans level for that matter. Like I said i'll give Falcon credit about being the first African American hero but It won't make me like him anymore.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

hes not the first black super hero in marvel, he's just the first to star in a series
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Liberty:
    ahhhh Liberty, you never dissapoint
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @Avenging-X-Bolt:
    he's the first african american hero Black Panthers african
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By gravitypress

I get so tired of every character getting new powers to escape every situation. Falcon Rocks!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Captain13

@A-Strondinaire said:

Ah Falcon where do I begin ok how about the fact that your powers aren't that cool you'll never be as cool as any Avengers X-Men or even a random Shield agent for that matter and I don't know you personality-wise but from what i've seen you're a bore. I will respect him as the first African American superhero of marvel but I will absolutely not be happy about it. With no disrespect to the 6 Falcon fans I just have say this I despies Falcon, he is the poster child for affirmative action. It's just something about him that screams forced creation he's like scrappy doo he was good in theory but on paper he's just crap. I'm so sick of everyone pointing out he's African american so what? I'm all for black power but in his case I would rather start a racial draft (for more info see Dave Chapelle) I'm tired of people acting as if he's such a credit to the race he's not.
    Do you think with heroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk I would want to be a guy whose highest claim to fame is he talks to birds and has wings? no it is so lame, I know Superheroes are suppoused to be more amazing then humans but having wings and talking to a bird are less sought after to a crawling on walls or Super strength. I write this in response the Spider-Man/Donald Glover fiasco where they said there were other parts for him to play in the Marvel universe and everyone started suggesting Falcon. When I heard this I yelled no not even Falcon would want to play Falcon, although I realized the boy could never pull off his own movie. No self-respecting African American child would want to look up to that as a hero I know I didn't. The point of this rant is stop naming off Falcon as some african american comic messiah the boy is a token, even quit the team because he realized it.

Check out my post on him: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/how-to-make-falcon-as-popular-as-the-hulk/647447/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.