Once upon a time I started reading the Fables trades

• 67 results
#1 Posted by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay this is my new obsession. I love this comic. I hadn't read this until issue #57 which my favorite artist, Mike Allred, drew it. I've started reading the trades since I was taking a trip. I devoured the first one in the airport and plowed through the second. Yesterday I happened by a Borders store and picked up volume 3 and 4.

Maybe it's because Lil' G-Girl is into some of these "fables" like Beauty and the Beast and Snow White but I think this is a brilliant concept. The Fables are now in New York, hidden among the Mundys. We eventually discover what has happened over the centuries to some of these old characters. Whether it's Prince Charming cheating on Snow White or Goldilocks being "involved" with Baby Bear, this isn't for kids.

I love it.

Staff
#2 Posted by ENGLENTINE (451 posts) - - Show Bio

Great books, I found that I like reading the trades than the individual issues though.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

what are trades?

#4 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Okay this is my new obsession. I love this comic. I hadn't read this until issue #57 which my favorite artist, Mike Allred, drew it. I've started reading the trades since I was taking a trip. I devoured the first one in the airport and plowed through the second. Yesterday I happened by a Borders store and picked up volume 3 and 4.Maybe it's because Lil' G-Girl is into some of these "fables" like Beauty and the Beast and Snow White but I think this is a brilliant concept. The Fables are now in New York, hidden among the Mundys. We eventually discover what has happened over the centuries to some of these old characters. Whether it's Prince Charming cheating on Snow White or Goldilocks being "involved" with Baby Bear, this isn't for kids.I love it."

Fables is an awesome series, not only for it's collection of truly unique characters (for Willingham has really gotten under the skin of all those classic icons of children's literature), but for it's incredible story. The plotting and pacing is magnificent, he weaves the story so well...

I agree reading the trades is more satisfying, simply because the story is so complex it makes more sense to read it all at once.

I won't spoil what's coming for you, but there's more intrigue on it's way, along with the cubs. It's great!!
Post Edited:2008-04-26 01:07:02

#5 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

"what are trades?"

The Trade Paperbacks, or TPBs, are the collections of issues printed as a soft cover book.

#6 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to get into this one, even got a couple issues. But I'ma need ta get the trades. Great concept.

#7 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Pania says:

"pixelized says:
"what are trades?"
The Trade Paperbacks, or TPBs, are the collections of issues printed as a soft cover book. "

ooh i see

#8 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

The first trade is obviously an introductory run to introduce the audience to the world and the principal characters. But once you get into the second TPB, you really get into the thick of things.

#9 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Shere Khan. I haven't read him in fables but look forward to it.

#10 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he definitely puts in a big appearance in TPB #2. Willingham has basically said that if the character is in public domain, he'll use them. So the Jungle Book characters (the Kipling Jungle Book, not the watered down, saccharine, Disney version) make an appearance. Mowgli will play a big role in a later TPB.

Just playing "spot the Fable" is a blast reading these stories.

#11 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a about 5 issues and loved it...but damn! one day they just stopped selling 'em at Barnes & Nobles

#12 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wanted to do something like Fables. But they beat me to it, professionally.

Maybe we could do our own version here.

I started re-writing some tall tale characters but with a modern twist.

actually.........

#13 Posted by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about flippin' time someone responded on this thread. Only took 305 days!

Staff
#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

they do sound interesting, I guess I'll have to start reading them some time...

#15 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

I was recommended to read them by the guy at the comicbook store, but I declined his offer. Now I guess I'll check it out... :)

#16 Posted by ENGLENTINE (451 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"It's about flippin' time someone responded on this thread. Only took 305 days!"
Sorry, I would have replyed sooner, but I am kind of new to the neighborhood.
#17 Posted by Princess Melody (309 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw, I'm glad to see some of you enjoyed my friends' most recent story. ^^ I'll tell the other Fables for sure.

#18 Posted by J.J. (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about Fables one day a year or two ago I think. I liked how the radio DJ described it. I bought the first TPB. After reading the first half of it. I went online and got the next 6 TPBs or so that they had. It really is an great story.

#19 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the comic. Just got into it.

#20 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the first two trades when they came out, and I wasn't a fan.

Staff
#21 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Hummm.....G loves them IE doesn't......Do I want to spend $20 on these........hummmm

#22 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawk said:
"Hummm.....G loves them IE doesn't......Do I want to spend $20 on these........hummmm"
I recommend it. It's a really great book, I'm just not a fan.
Staff
#23 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"Hawk said:
"Hummm.....G loves them IE doesn't......Do I want to spend $20 on these........hummmm"
"

Well hell why didn't you say that lol

Runs to the comic store. Gets to the end of the block and remember he has a car.
#24 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawk said:
I love it lol.
#25 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
Sits back in front of his computer breathing hard.

Fine I'll go get it. ....when I catch my breath.
#26 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawk said:
"Sits back in front of his computer breathing hard.

Fine I'll go get it. ....when I catch my breath."
A scan from the comic (Bigby Wolf and one of the little pigs)

#27 Posted by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"I read the first two trades when they came out, and I wasn't a fan.
"
Boooooo!

Okay, in case you're not sure, you can download (LEGALLY) the first issue directly from DC/Vertigo.  That's how much faith they have in it.  Download it and they know you'll wanna buy more.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=1606

Staff
#28 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Im totally aching to get my hands on these but they are really expensive here and i have so much to save up for i cant afford them right now, but from what i have seen the art is AMAZING

#29 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"Hawk said:
"
you and DC...two hardcore Vertigo fans yet neither of you are fans of Fables...hmm...

I for one am enjoying it, can't say its as great as regular Vertigo but it is an enjoyable tale nonetheless from the five TPB's I have anyways
#30 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"inferiorego said:
"I read the first two trades when they came out, and I wasn't a fan.
"
Boooooo!

Okay, in case you're not sure, you can download (LEGALLY) the first issue directly from DC/Vertigo.  That's how much faith they have in it.  Download it and they know you'll wanna buy more.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=1606

"
inferiorego said:
"
don't boo me sir!
Staff
#31 Edited by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio
.Mistress Redhead. said:
"Im totally aching to get my hands on these but they are really expensive here and i have so much to save up for i cant afford them right now, but from what i have seen the art is AMAZING
"

What about ebay (Yes I looked up the Australian version for you).  Not sure what AU 15.99 is worth in real US currency.

And since it's on the first page, HERE's the link you can legally download the first issue from Vertigo.
Staff
#32 Posted by Dahlia Capello (185 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE IT.

#33 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
I for one am enjoying it, can't say its as great as regular Vertigo but it is an enjoyable tale nonetheless from the five TPB's I have anyways
"
I can honestly say from what I've read, I enjoy more then Transmetropolitan or some of the other well known Vert. titles.
#34 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"What about ebay (Yes I looked up the Australian version for you).  Not sure what AU 15.99 is worth in real US currency.
"
bout $30 plus postage from US is huge -_- .. i can afford one, but knowing me i want them all... and i cant afford em.. id rather wait until i can get them all. ^_^

thanks for looking though Gman
#35 Posted by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio
.Mistress Redhead. said:
"G-Man said:
"What about ebay (Yes I looked up the Australian version for you).  Not sure what AU 15.99 is worth in real US currency.
"
bout $30 plus postage from US is huge -_- .. i can afford one, but knowing me i want them all... and i cant afford em.. id rather wait until i can get them all. ^_^

"
You and your funny money.
Staff
#36 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"aztek the lost said:
"
I can honestly say from what I've read, I enjoy more then Transmetropolitan or some of the other well known Vert. titles.
"
I like it because it has the writing down story-wise  (and because its the only Vert series I can count on being at the bookstore every time I go) and for that it is a great series, it's just lacking that whole profound feel that I love in my literature
#37 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
".Mistress Redhead. said:
"G-Man said:
"

"
You and your funny money.
"
yep, our money is hillarious.. i often laugh at how little of it i actually earn LOL

damn jobs that give you satisfaction never earn anything from em.

Im dying to get my hands on the Alice in wonderland one, i saw the graphics of it and was blown away... the local comic shop keeps laughing at me cause i come in and stand there reading them until they yell at me!
#38 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like Fables because (at least the first issue I read) did'nt try to be too serious or overly filled with profanity or what have you like some Vert titles. It's a cool change of pace and I'll be picking it up.

#39 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
" I personally like Fables because (at least the first issue I read) did'nt try to be too serious or overly filled with profanity or what have you like some Vert titles. It's a cool change of pace and I'll be picking it up.
"
Vertigo isn't constant profanity, if that's your problem than don't read Ennis

and if you don't like seriousness well actually I have no idea what your definition of seriousness is because Fables definitely has mature themes
#40 Edited by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dug the recent Cinderella story from issues 71 and 72.  She kicked major butt.

I am bummed that James Jean isn't doing the covers anymore.  And things have gotten so bad for the Fables.  Makes me sad.
Staff
#41 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"TheDrifter said:
" I personally like Fables because (at least the first issue I read) did'nt try to be too serious or overly filled with profanity or what have you like some Vert titles. It's a cool change of pace and I'll be picking it up.
"
Vertigo isn't constant profanity, if that's your problem than don't read Ennis

and if you don't like seriousness well actually I have no idea what your definition of seriousness is because Fables definitely has mature themes
"
I've only read the first issue.

Well, yeah, Preacher was.I've only read so much Vertigo so I guess constant profanity was alittle harsh
#42 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"I really dug the recent Cinderella story from issues 71 and 72.  She kicked major butt.

"
I don't even know if I've met Cinderella yet though that cover always has made me think she's going to be awesome...Cinderella = sexy!
#43 Posted by G-Man (34186 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it's a great cover.

Staff
#44 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"I've only read the first issue.

Well, yeah, Preacher was.I've only read so much Vertigo so I guess constant profanity was alittle harsh
"
oh :P well I don't see how murder isn't a mature theme? but it wasn't exactly what I was referring to so w/e

I love when Tulip says "and the air just turned blue" :P btw, if you don't like profanity, big warning, DO NOT READ GARTH ENNIS' THE PRO its only the most hilarious comic in the world if your not easily offended
#45 Posted by Dahlia Capello (185 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"I really dug the recent Cinderella story from issues 71 and 72.  She kicked major butt.

I am bummed that James Jean isn't doing the covers anymore.  And things have gotten so bad for the Fables.  Makes me sad.
"
I can't wait to get more of Cindy. And Briar. And Fables had the most amazing covers with James Jean.

And it's true it's serious at times, but that's what's cool: even the fairy tale characters deal with serious stuff. ^^
#46 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Dahlia Capello said:
"And it's true it's serious at times, but that's what's cool: even the fairy tale characters deal with serious stuff. ^^"
I think the funny part is in the comics they're stories, although very serious at times like you said, are actually the "kiddie" versions next to the tales most of them come from o_O
#47 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Dahlia Capello said:

And it's true it's serious at times, but that's what's cool: even the fairy tale characters deal with serious stuff. ^^
"
I can agree with that, I laughed out loud at Bigby Wolf with the pig in his apartment.

@Tek

It's not exactly profanity that bothers me, it just when's its used alot for no real reason. (I do make exceptions some times though I.E. "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny" movie

#48 Posted by Dahlia Capello (185 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILER

Not Snow. I don't mean to spoil anything, but she did that whole thing with the slashing the dwarfs after learning to fence. And Goldilocks sleeping with one of the Bears and stuff. They're not SO kid-ish, for the most part.

#49 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Dahlia Capello said:
"SPOILER

Not Snow. I don't mean to spoil anything, but she did that whole thing with the slashing the dwarfs after learning to fence. And Goldilocks sleeping with one of the Bears and stuff. They're not SO kid-ish, for the most part.
"
have you ever read the real Snow White story? or the real Goldilocks story?
#50 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Yeah, it's a great cover.
"
All the art is awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.