Follow

Fabletown Fables

Team » Fabletown Fables appears in 432 issues.

The Fables are those of the childhood stories. After being forced to flee their homelands, they currently reside in the fictional land of New York.

Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love #1 Reviewed

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I might have been a little late getting into Fables but once I did, I devoured the first few trades.  Fables is simply a great book.  Part of it could be that I have a young daughter who was into some of these 'fables' and seeing them in a different light was pretty cool.  Let's just be clear, Fables is not a book for children.  The books is extremely well written and has always had great art in its arcs.  Now we're seeing one of the characters, Cinderella, jumping out of Fables and into her own mini-series.

So this isn't the Cinderella you might remember.  That is what is great about Fables.  We see these old characters given new life.  You won't look at the old stories from your youth the same again.  I mentioned my distraught when I discovered that Fables creator Bill Willingham wasn't writing this series.  You can see from my rating that writer Chris Roberson does a great job.  I didn't have anything to worry about.  The art by Shawn McManus simply fits in perfectly with the world of Fables.

If you've ever read Fables, you'll love seeing Cinderella taking the spotlight once again.  If you haven't read Fables yet, you can easily jump into this book and follow the events.  I really think you'll dig the idea of Fables once you do.  So if you're a fan or if you're looking for something different from the superheroes, check out Cinderella's book and see her kick some butt.
    TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheOmegaMan

I did have this on my list to check out last trip to the comic shop...But it just didn't make the cut. It looks cool but nothing really jumped out at me when I flipped through it...
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey

I haven't read Fables.... but this does sound interesting...  

like I posted under the podcast for this week I need to expand my horizons other than Marvel and Batman (cause I don't read anything in DC that is not related to Batman)... 

Since this is issue 1 I guess this would be a good idea to start....

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DMC

Good review G-Man. 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @DMC: Thanks!

@sora_thekey: I love Fables.  Try looking for the first trade if and when you get a chance.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By FoxxFireArt

That's annoying that she has such a cool look on the cover that isn't used in the comic. It's bad enough the art is different, but to have a different over all design as well. The disappointment is only compounded by how cool the cover looks. The cover art is beautiful.

It's almost a little surprising that they could get away with the Beast name. With the name both popularized, not to mention most likely trademarked, by Disney and Marvel respectably. Probably helps that he doesn't look like either.

All that considering, it was a good review. Well done.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @FoxxFireArt: Beast has been more...beastly at times.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Jotham

Sweet, I love Cinderella.

@FoxxFireArt: As long as they are referring to the original, public domain Beast, they can use the character. They just can't put any specific, Disney inspired elements in there. While I assume Marvel and Disney have trademarked their Beast characters, the trademarks refer to the overall appearance and design of the characters together with the name.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Media_Master

I've heard of Fables but didn't know if they were worth reading, now I know better.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.