Bigby Wolf From Fables Gets His Own Graphic Novel

Posted by G-Man (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

This is some really cool news.  Vertigo announced an upcoming graphic novel that will be released in the Fall.  Fables: Werewolves Of The Heartland will feature everyone's big bad wolf from Fables, Bigby Wolf.

The art will be by Jim Fern and Craig Hamilton.  Looking at that cover, you can see that the art is pretty sweet.  Now look again at that cover.  Do you notice who the writer will be?  Yes, Bill Willingham, creator of Fables, will be penning this story.

Fables tells the story of the  characters you know, Snow White, Prince Charming, Old King Cole, Pinocchio, etc.  They have made their way to New York after their Homelands were attacked by the evil Adversary (who was revealed in a big twist a while ago, yet I still will not spoil it in case you're catching up with the trades).  Bigby had changed his evil ways long ago and even became the sheriff of Fabletown.  In this graphic novel, Vertigo says it will follow Bigby as he "searches for a new home for Fabletown."  Hmm...what could that mean?

The fact that Bill Willingham is writing this already tells me it will be a great read.  I have been enjoy the current Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love mini-series, but you can tell that Willingham isn't the writer (no offense to Chris Roberson).  If you haven't read Fables yet (for whatever crazy reason), you can download the first issue (along with many many other Vertigo #1's) HERE.
#1 Posted by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio

Bigby is one of my favorite characters in the series I'm  glad to see him in an original graphic novel.

#2 Posted by smalltropolis (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Fables rules! Will there be a TV series???

#3 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!!! Fables & Jack of Fables are some of my favorite comics. Bill Willingham is such a great writer.

#4 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! I<3 Bigby :)

#5 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

More Willingham is always good. More Bigby by Willingham is even better.

#6 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this yesterday and I'm really intrigued and excited! I can understand why he'd need to search for a new home for the Fables thanks to Mr. Dark but the cover gives the impression he's in the Homelands, actually it made me think of his brothers. Also, I figured Ozma would be driving out Mr. Dark soon, but who knows (besides Willingham and the rest of the Fables creative team)? Anyways, can't wait for this but I suppose it's set for a few months down the road since it isn't actually on the January-June list of releases on the Vertigo website.

#7 Posted by G-Man (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out Bill Willingham wasn't aware this was being announced already. 

@GManFromHeck I can't believe that wonderful cover got released already. I thought we going to try to keep a lid on it. http://bit.ly/8d6VQ4  

Via his Twitter account. 
#8 Posted by ClockworkDrago (102 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet

#9 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I just can't get into fables...

#10 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" More Willingham is always good. More Bigby by Willingham is even better. "
OOOh yeah. Now i wonder how they'll react to him? Especially since he's Lord of Wolves and all. Interesting...can't wait. 
#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@burr787 said:
" I just can't get into fables... "
how hard have you tried?
#12 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I wish I got into Fables when it first started coming out. Guess I'll just read the TPB to catch up.
#13 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
" Man I wish I got into Fables when it first started coming out. Guess I'll just read the TPB to catch up. "
I enjoyed catching up with the trades, the Fables universe has evolved a lot over the years and it was nice to get a big chunk of it in one big sweep rather then waiting 93 months, but that's just my personal opinion
#14 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:
Looks like I may just have to do that since I've heard nothing but great things about Fables.Gonna have to add it to my list with Walking Dead since I'm a bit behind that as well.
#15 Posted by Fleonix (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I know what New series Im going to pick up Now.......cool.
#16 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll look for the trades.

#17 Posted by Roninidas (383 posts) - - Show Bio

This is sweet news.  I love Fables. 
#18 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" YES! I<3 Bigby :) "
recently discovered I do too!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.