Follow

Excalibur

Team » Excalibur appears in 926 issues.

Excalibur is a super-group of mutants in the Marvel Universe that are based out of Britain. They are an off-shoot of the X-Men books and contain many one time X-Men members.

Why does the Excalibur brand fail?

Java Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Java Lad

Yes I am bias.  
    My favourite series of all time is Excalibur. The combination of Chris Claremont and Alan Davies brought me to and emerged me into the comic world. 
    The original volume had great characters of Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Rachel Summers, Captain Britain and Meggan. Three of which had already developed a great rich background and the addition of Rachel Summers opened up many questions, even Meggan was interesting.  
    Yes, the title had more of a comic relief version of the X-men in the beginning but did develop into something so much better. The cast of characters was rich and deep with people like Wysdom, Kylun and Cerise coming on board. Their was so much potential but not enough readers jumped on board
    The volume went for 125 issues plus annuals, one-shots and graphic novels and yet, it did stop. 
    Then came Excalibur the Genosha experience.....that deserved to die. Had nothing to do with Excalibur and was just tripe. 
    Along came New Excalibur with Psylocke jumping on board with Sage and  Noctunre. Hell, even Juggernaut was part of the crew. But this too succumbed to the Marvel axe.

Now is the reason for its discontinuation because people from the USA cant take on board a foreign team, or don't feel comfortable in a country they are not familiar with? is it because writers struggle with references not in the USA? Or is it simply fans just don't like the characters?  
    Personally out of my 5 favourite comic characters, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat and Captain Britain are all from Excalibur. Having a team not based in New York, Chicago or wherever leads to the opportunity of new story arcs, new direction (say the UK makes superheroes part of the European UN forces) and just a chance for an fresh look.  
    Being based in the UK also had is great advantage of the deep and rich history of England, France and the rest of Europe. Magic is of course the obvious link but the history of the area could help with stories, characters and excitement.

I just feel with all the cross overs of the X-titles, they could have kept Excalibur separate. Readers are able to follow one book that have great characters and an opportunity to have great, new and unique adventures that fall outside the USA Marvelverse. 

Guess thats my little ramble for the day.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

If it were given to the right people it could acheve a Doctor Who like revival, not in terms of scale more as in people who are aquanted with the history and culture of England + Eurpe that could incorporate elements that might not have been incorporated into the books before. I don't claim to know much if anything at all about the history of The Excalibur title only that it just hasnt like you said seemed to just 'get there' yet 

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Lady Tlieso

I think that it just didn't get enough attention. It was a great title & one of my favorites.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MrMiracle77

Well, there's the alphabetical factor as well.  Since Excalibur doesn't actually start with 'X', it often isn't put in the same location on the shop wall as the other X books.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

if by bias you mean...obviously it does fail doesnt it? so there has to be a good reason. and that reason is pretty clear.
    its an extra x-book, and outshined by other x-books and extra x-books. alot of people can only afford to pull so many books.
    as you mentioned citizens of the US are why this book failed...??? um, wrong! citizens of the US represented the larger part of this
    books sales throughout history, as well as another European based team, X-Factor (most recent incarnation). its no more worthy
    a point than saying why Big Hero 6 isnt a selling book, or Winter Guard. bottom line was Excaliber wasnt selling anywhere, or at
    least enough to save it from the chopping block during downtimes.hence, since the original format was shown not to work, they tried rebooting instead. neither was Marvel UK for that matter. reason? most Europeans really only knew of the book the same way most Americans did, it was a branch off of the X-books they were reading, and would buy before it. so when one got to the store, regardless of the country they lived in and only had so much money to spare that day, it was either Uncanny, X-men, X-Force, X-Factor or Excaliber. most people arent fixated on their nationality to the point they denote their own intelligence and buy the inferior read, nor the one that isnt really closest to their heart. this is also the answer to your crossover statement. since the core readers of Excaliber were in fact X-men readers, cutting it off from those books would have caused its cancellation much sooner. US people cant write foriegn characters, pheh?
    have you ever looked an an X-books team roster?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @CATMANEXE: True, It does need to get out of the 'X' shadow and try and carve out its own identity, and if i fails it fails but it would be nice to see the attempt.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omega Ray Jay: 
    more my overall point was the book didnt sell well enough in either Europe or the US. 
    and no, i said it doesnt need to be out of the shadow of the X books, it needs to be in it
    because thats why it sold in the first place. it was in fact a spin-off, and making it
    something it isnt would take away the majority of its core fanbase. people were interested
    in the characters interactions with the other x-teams. how many times ive read " I wish they would
    have Kitty, Nightcrawler, Colossus, ect, visit/come home to the X-men, and vice-versa.
    they already gave that idea a shot even, it was called MI13 and it flopped badly.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @CATMANEXE: Fair enough, I see what you mean anyway and the whole point i made about it not beening the the X shadow was more just an opinion that a reply to what you said, should have worded that better sorry. I guess sometimes stuff just doesn't fly.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omega Ray Jay: 
    sadly it doesnt as personally i really like Excaliber. actually personally i liked it better 
    than alot of x-books. questionable was of course was the fact that the original incarnation sank
    below the acceptable profit margin needed to keep it in print. the reason was it was a secondary option
    book of another series. word from the big guns is we'll see alot of this action from the big companies 
    regarding cancellations. as far as an all UK based team is concerned, theres A TON. but it doesnt matter
    where a teams origins are, it matters if theyre selling and if theyre better than the rest to keep up. if not, it
    doesnt fall to it being a regional factor. the aforementioned Marvel UK is excellent evidence of this. Uk
    citizens opted to buy other books instead.
    Java Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Java Lad
    @CATMANEXE:  I didn't say US citizens were the reason failed, I didn't say US writers can't do foreign characters and yes I am familiar with the line up of X-people and their nationalities. 
    I was throwing it out there that could it be that most readers prefer to read what they are familiar with. With Excalibur taking place the majority in England, could some of the readers fail to understand the references made and therefor they didn't pick up or continue reading. What I said about the writers was meant to mean do they have trouble getting readers to connect to UK references. Some of my fav writers are not US based and they write great series eg Chris Claremont, and are very successful when set in a more familiar setting. 
    As too Excalibur being shadowed by other X-titles, I agree. They didn't mix with the others, the crisis in X-men rarely touched Excalibur and yes this does play a huge part on how successful a "spin off" team will be.  For me, I liked the fact that they were a stand alone title.
    What I do like about my ramble is that it has got people thinking and throwing their opinions out there. For me that is a successful thought provoking blog. 

Think I just get disappointed when a character like Captain Britain fails to have a successful title and only has a fairly small following when they are such a rich character.
    BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BatDance
    ONE when you dig up the back issues there are bits of Excalibur that are just too Eurocentric, too British,  they need to step out of the box and look at what made the American a nd N.American heroes so Iconic, why does Captain America work better?   
    Will Ms Marvel always be stronger and sexier than Excalibur?
    What are the reasons why another writer can not invent another Wolverine?
    Why is Ironman so loved? Why is is he such a star? 

If they don't step it up, when people want a Euro based comic the readers will just pick up a good old copy of Tin Tin or Judge I-am-the-Law or something

Psylocke worked great when she had that British gal personality but they never Capitalized on it, they never made the role iconic. Also the writers should not be afraid to offend. 

TWO
    Write a story where Gordon Brown wants to waste Wakanda and scares the hell out of Panther, the whole of Asia and Africa. Write something where Kitty and Nightcrawler at at each other's throats because Kitty is a hothead and Kurt made a silly joke, Ms Pryde having a grandfather Samuel Prydeman in a Nazi concentration camp - well Kitty loses it and almost phases Nighcrawler's head through a wall.
    Have some anti-Shield terror group taking over some Concorde/Airbus and crashing it into the Eiffel Tower 

THREE
    Writers today are modern they do films, they do movies like JMS and Joss
    Hire a writer from tv shows like Dr Who

Oh yeah and keep Loeb and Bendis a mile away from the comics
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " ...Uk citizens opted to buy other books instead. "
    To give further weight to your point, I'm in the UK and ive never bought a single Excalibur or MI13 book, wanted to but like you said i just opted for things like Uncanny instead.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

i figure it failed cause i liked it its like all the tv shows i really like they always get cancelled after a season
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Java Lad said:

I didn't say US citizens were the reason failed, I didn't say US writers can't do foreign characters

sorry, then i must have misread

Now is the reason for its discontinuation because people from the USA cant take on board a foreign team, or don't feel comfortable in a country they are not familiar with? 

is it because writers struggle with references not in the USA? 

With Excalibur taking place the majority in England, could some of the readers fail to understand the references made and therefor they didn't pick up or continue reading. 

What I said about the writers was meant to mean do they have trouble getting readers to connect to UK references

-----

Some of my fav writers are not US based and they write great series eg Chris Claremont, and are very successful when set in a more familiar setting. 

the most well known contributors to the overall Excalibur volume writer wise are  
    Chris Claremont, Paul Cornell, Warren Ellis, Alan Davis, Alan Moore and Dave Thorpe.
    they are all from England : London or Britian.

They didn't mix with the others, the crisis in X-men rarely touched Excalibur and yes this does play a huge part on how successful a "spin off" team will be.  For me, I liked the fact that they were a stand alone title.

what do you mean? it almost always did! every X-over in fact. the majority of the characters in the Excaliber books where 
    characters from the X-books, be it team member or foe. thats because it was an X-title. 

Or is it simply fans just don't like the characters? 

Think I just get disappointed when a character like Captain Britain fails to have a successful title and only has a fairly small following when they are such a rich character. 

because Captain Britian while cool and classic wasnt the driving factor of the book. the majority of its customers 
    where fans of the core X-titles
    , and picked it up because of  Nightcrawler, Kitty, Colossus, Juggernaut, Racheal, 
    Psylocke, Dazzler, Longshot, Nocturne
    , ect. 
    take a look at some of the covers once
    http://www.comicvine.com/excalibur/65-14864/issues-cover/
    so yes they liked the characters, but... 

bottom line. regardless of place, it didnt sell because it really only sold in the first place because it was
    another X-title, regardless of the customers region, and that only lasts so long as people have enough money to spare, 
    then they drop the book and stick with the original (Uncanny, XM) that they started reading in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.