Follow

Eternals

Team » Eternals appears in 485 issues.

The Eternals are an evolutionary offshoot of humanity living on Earth who possess greater powers and longer lifespans than the mainstream human race.

Nature of the Eternals

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hadrelius

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same as me when it comes to comparing the Eternals with the Olympians or Asgardians. Thor and the other gods of earth are based on magic, while the Eternals are creatures of science. This being the case, Zuras is nothing like Odin or Zeus, other than being the ruler of these people.

Just a thought.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the creator

You have to be careful saying that the Asgardians and Olympians (and other gods of the Earth) are based on magic.
    Their physical powers do not  now appear to be magically derived. This includes their longevity and regeneration.
    Although they have members of their races that understand and can manipulate the forces of magic, that does not mean that they are based on magic.
    In most instances these 'gods' also don't draw extra power from the faith of their followers.

The energy manipulation abilities of Zeus and Odin, although sometimes described as having a mystical flavour, are just that, energy manipulation abilities. Manipulating 'magical energy' is not that different to manipulating cosmic energy, in the end. Both can alter the fundemental forces of the universe.
    Odin, Zeus and Zuras are / were all master manipulators of their respective energies. I personally think that Odin and Zeus however have far greater energy abilities than Zuras did.
    All 3 are / were 'virtually immortal' beings and the heads of their respective pantheons.

In many ways they were very similar when you look at the braoder picture.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hadrelius
    the creator said:
    "You have to be careful saying that the Asgardians and Olympians (and other gods of the Earth) are based on magic.
    Their physical powers do not  now appear to be magically derived. This includes their longevity and regeneration.
    Although they have members of their races that understand and can manipulate the forces of magic, that does not mean that they are based on magic.
    In most instances these 'gods' also don't draw extra power from the faith of their followers.

The energy manipulation abilities of Zeus and Odin, although sometimes described as having a mystical flavour, are just that, energy manipulation abilities. Manipulating 'magical energy' is not that different to manipulating cosmic energy, in the end. Both can alter the fundemental forces of the universe.
    Odin, Zeus and Zuras are / were all master manipulators of their respective energies. I personally think that Odin and Zeus however have far greater energy abilities than Zuras did.
    All 3 are / were 'virtually immortal' beings and the heads of their respective pantheons.

In many ways they were very similar when you look at the braoder picture."

Hmm, I see. But if Marvel stuck to their mythical origin, wouldn't that be a magical origin (especially the Olympians)?
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the creator
    Alpha said:
    Hmm, I see. But if Marvel stuck to their mythical origin, wouldn't that be a magical origin (especially the Olympians)?"
    If they stuck firmly to it them yes.
    However would then you consider that a magician should be able to 'dispell' Hercules strength.
    I don't mean drain it but simply dispell it as it should be magically based.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hadrelius
    the creator said:
    "Alpha said:
    Hmm, I see. But if Marvel stuck to their mythical origin, wouldn't that be a magical origin (especially the Olympians)?"
    However would then you consider that a magician should be able to 'dispell' Hercules strength.
    I don't mean drain it but simply dispell it as it should be magically based."
    I believe he could if hisor her power was great enough (being greater than Zeus, who has stripped him of his power before).
    Magic in the form of Loki's power has been used against Odin. Even the Black Knight, weilding the Ebony Blade (magic based weapon), absorbed and reflected Zeus's power back at him.
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the creator
    Alpha said:
    Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Djinn

i agree with alpha in saying the there not related but i see how the gods can have normal abilities its just marvel normally push their abilities in the magic area rather than science or evolution

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Leliel
    @Alpha said:
    " the creator said:
    "Alpha said:
    I don't mean drain it but simply dispell it as it should be magically based."
    I believe he could if hisor her power was great enough (being greater than Zeus, who has stripped him of his power before).Magic in the form of Loki's power has been used against Odin. Even the Black Knight, weilding the Ebony Blade (magic based weapon), absorbed and reflected Zeus's power back at him. "
    I would go as far as to say Eternals are base on evolution and pure genetics and science as you said, but when they have relationships with humans they only give birth to humans while gods always give birth to demi-gods
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @Djinn:  oh my god! Your icon is so scary. :'( 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

I suggest that though the powers of the gods may appear to be magical, they may indeed not be.   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.