Will 'Ant-Man' Be Marvel Studios' Next Film?

• 92 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

After The Avengers clocked in the biggest opening of all time in North America, it's safe to say that Marvel Studios is in a pretty good position right now. The question on a lot of people's minds is what movies is the studio planning to make now that The Avengers has proven to be such a massive success? The Avengers film is a culmination of seven years of work, and while it's obvious we'll see sequels very soon (Captain America 2, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3); we can't help but wonder what characters Marvel introduce next? Last month Kevin Feige spoke to a UK website about The Avengers as well as Marvel Studios' upcoming projects -- during the conversation, Ant-Man came up.

...The truth is look at those characters on that board [points behind him] look at the characters in this movie and there are a lot more Avengers where this came so certainly we think we have about 8 thousand characters in the Marvel library; maybe more, depending on who you ask. Not all of them would make a movie of course, but a lot of them will.

There's a script for Ant-Man that has been finished. The truth of the matter is that it's close as it has ever been, and Edgar [Wright] I think is getting excited to get behind the camera again and to start some advanced prep-work for Ant-Man…[In the coming months] We are going to take some forward steps that will get us closer than ever, but as far as a release date goes we don't know.

Actually, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World director Edgar Wright may actually be more excited about an Ant-Man movie than any of may have realized. Over the weekend the director posted a picture to his twitter feed of something he "received in the mail" that is very obviously Ant-Man related.

With 200 million in the bag, The Avengers is doing well -- and now would probably be a great time to start thinking about ways to introduce more Marvel characters to Avengers movie fans. What do you think? Would you like to see an Ant-Man movie? Which version of Ant-Man would you like to see?

Source: Twitter and Oh Hey You Guys

#1 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

Hank Pym please, I would make it that in the beginning of the movie he can only shrink but in 2/3 of the movie he can also grow and please make the movie.

#2 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see an Ant Man movie especially because a lot of people don't know much about Ant-Man. It would also be a great way to introduce the Wasp. Than we have two new Avengers for the second Avengers movie already

#3 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-Man and Wasp are needed for Avengers 2. Make it happen Marvel!

#4 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hope so. I freakin' LOVE Ant-Man. If he was in Avengers 2, I would definitely go see it.

#5 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

As cool as a movie like this would be character wise, I doubt it would be any good, He has no iconic villain that he can take out by himself, Ultron usually needs every avenger ever to stop him so there aren't many people left...

Scrap this and make a Luke Cage/ Iron Fist movie please

#6 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

huh, reminds me of this:

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (62 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just happy Edgar Wright gets to make another movie.

#8 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I would totally love to see Ant-Man and the Wasp in the next Avengers movie. The cgi technology exists to make really cool.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32814 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sick of hearing about Marvel films! DC, Image step your game up

#10 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

A Pym movie would be spectacular! I'd be on board for that one. He's a great character in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. It'd be good to see him get his own film.

#11 Posted by CitizenJP (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds meh.

#12 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

The sh*tload of money the Avengers will make is definitely going to keep them coming strong with new superhero characters :)

#13 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

huh, reminds me of this:

I love it. LOL!!

#14 Posted by Illuminatus (9495 posts) - - Show Bio

Pym has never really had a definitive rogue's gallery, but who says you need an iconic villain to make an interesting origin story? Ant-Man should have a tinge of espionage, a heaping of science-fiction, and a base of adventure with a slightly dark and serious tone. Something like this would work well, in my opinion: 

#15 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

This could work, but it easily couldn't, they're going to have to work this one out in full before releasing it, but luckily ant-man not so much in the public eye so there's no expectation going in.

#16 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for Giant Man and Wasp to be in the Avengers movie, but do either of them really need their own movie...?

#17 Posted by The_Tree (7233 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes, I've been waiting for this for about a year now! And it takes him one step closer to joining the Avengers. I love Hank Pym and I love Edgar Wright, this movie will be gold when it hits the big screen!

#18 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see him get his introduction in Avengers 2, his own movie, then avengers 3 can focus on the ultron.

#19 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Ultron, Egg-Head, or Whirlwind will be in this.

#20 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Pym has never really had a definitive rogue's gallery, but who says you need an iconic villain to make an interesting origin story? Ant-Man should have a tinge of espionage, a heaping of science-fiction, and a base of adventure with a slightly dark and serious tone. Something like this would work well, in my opinion:

I've seen this fan trailer before. I would just trade Hydra with AIM though. Let Cap deal with Hydra or a SHIELD Movie do that.

#21 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

YES! A BILLION MILLION THOUSAND HUNDRED TEN ONE TIMES! YES!

#22 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

I reckon if they called this movie 'Avengers Origin: Ant-Man' it would make way more money than if it was just 'Ant-Man'

#23 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-Man all the way I say. In truth I'm of the opinion there should have already been an Ant-Man movie before Avengers came out so that Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne could have been introduced. But still, just as good to introduce them both to the Second Wave when the movies start to roll out. Pym all the way!

#24 Posted by Herokiller12344 (990 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make this movie. And Ultron isn't in it. I am going to shoot somebody.

#25 Posted by AlKusanagi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I know people want Pym, but I think Wright would be better using Eric O'Grady, considering the framework already established. You do Pym and you'll have to do Wasp, origins, etc. You do Eric, he's already established at SHIELD. Hell, he was probably the Galaga guy! Then it could just be him getting a hold of SHIELD tech and they're free to do whatever they want with the story, plus Wright's style lends itself better to humor. Pym could still be in it as well, as the scientist that creates the tech, and that leaves windows for him to later become Ant-Man or any of his other dozen alter-egos.

Either way though, I'm excited to see what he'll do with the project.

#26 Posted by Mucklefluga (2522 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Cornish the co-writer said the script has a very comedic feel to it. It sounds great

#27 Posted by blueninjapanther (672 posts) - - Show Bio

No I want Black Panther to be the next marvel studios film. I waited a long time for someone to make a Black Panther movie. Before I die I want to see a Black Panther movie.

#28 Posted by TheCannon (17916 posts) - - Show Bio

@GR2Blackout said:

Hopefully Ultron, Egg-Head, or Whirlwind will be in this.

Agreed,

#29 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- I see this being a really hard character to translate to film and make it good, regardless of if you are a Hank Pym fanboy or hater.

- Marvel should have Pym in Avengers 2 and gauge fans reaction before moving forward with a solo movie, no reason at all to think the movie is a sure thing success.

#30 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: Wow, a good trailer can make even Ant Man sound epic

#31 Posted by Illuminatus (9495 posts) - - Show Bio
@krspaceT: Indeed. 
#32 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

HELL YES ANT-MAN ROCKS I'VE BEEN WAITING TOO DAMN LONG FOR THIS MOVIE TO COME OUT, PLEASE EDGER WRIGHT AND MARVEL STUDIOS PLEASE MAKE A GREAT MOVIE ON ONE OF MY FAVORITE MARVEL CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to it

#34 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueninjapanther said:

No I want Black Panther to be the next marvel studios film. I waited a long time for someone to make a Black Panther movie. Before I die I want to see a Black Panther movie.

#35 Posted by TheHeat (450 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Edgar Wright's work(Scott Pilgrim, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, & Attack the Block), but not sure if an Ant-Man movie would translate well on film. I would like Ant-Man and Wasp in the Avengers sequel though. Now, can we get the Rock to play Luke Cage?

#36 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHeat said:

I love Edgar Wright's work(Scott Pilgrim, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, & Attack the Block), but not sure if an Ant-Man movie would translate well on film. I would like Ant-Man and Wasp in the Avengers sequel though. Now, can we get the Rock to play Luke Cage?

The Rock doesn't look like Luke Cage.

#37 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything by Edgar Wright is awesome, and I do love Ant Man!

#38 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

I'n one of the many that have awaited this movie for soooo long. I love Wrigth's work and I think he will do a great job at it. I just really want to see Hank and Janet...

#39 Posted by fingernail9 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they show Hank Physically abusing Wasp, so the Cap can actually whip his ass and Do Something This Time! He didn't do crap in the Avengers, besides give orders.

#40 Posted by euskadi1488 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: ant man would be cool but not wasp

#41 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@euskadi1488 said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: ant man would be cool but not wasp

They are linked together. Unless this is not Pym, she is gonna be there.

#42 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember an article that considered Adrian Brody as Ant Man. 
In all honesty, I can see that.

#43 Posted by HT101 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that this movie will not be made. Besides, Iron Man 3 will be the next Marvel Studios movie anyway. I also have no motivation to want to see an Ant-Man movie at all.

#44 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

His name alone isn't going to make him seems silly to the general audience. People are thinking as fanboys and not thinking realistically this character is plain old boring from his power to his textbook identity issues. This movie should not be made and the only way I'd want to see Hank and Janet in the Avengers is as scientists that Shield has contacted for help with vibranium.

#45 Posted by GuruOfFunk (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Can this movie really be entertaining? If your a fan of Ant Man then sure your going to like it but will the casual movie goer be interested. Honestly I don't see this doing very well. Just introduce them in someone elses movie and have them in Avengers 2.

#46 Posted by tcsajax (1 posts) - - Show Bio

God lets hope not. He's never really seemed like a strong character for a "Hero" to me. Not really a fan.

#47 Posted by nappystr8 (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

This thoroughly excites me. My biggest problem with The Avengers is that Hank Pym and Janet VanDyne didn't even have minor cameos. In preparation for Avengers 2, this would be the perfect time to introduce him, and Edgar Wright is another Joss Whedon type who will be able to inspire nerds outside of simply the comic sphere. Hell, Ant-Man is a hard sell even to many comic fans. Then again after the critical success/financial failure of Scott Pilgrim, it is a surprising career decision for Wright to helm another incredibly risky niche film, even with Avengers hype behind it. I wish this project nothing but the best!

#48 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (151 posts) - - Show Bio

There's an Ant-Man costume in the Captain America movie, at the World's Fair scene.

#49 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

huh, reminds me of this:

Hahha, That one is really cool.

#50 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHeat: Hell no Terry Crews or Tyrese should be the ones playing Luke Cage not the Rock wth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.