Follow

Eric O'Grady

Character » Eric O'Grady appears in 329 issues.

After stealing prototype Ant-Man armor from SHIELD, Eric O'Grady became the Irredeemable Ant-Man; the world's most unlikable superhero. He spend time as a member of the Initiative, The Thunderbolts, and the Secret Avengers before he was killed. He was reborn as an evil synthetic version of himself and went freelance with Taskmaster.

Stan Lee Sez Ant-Man Still Coming

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Though it’s been a looooooong time since there’s been news about the Edgar Wright-directed ANT-MAN movie, the project is still crawling along. 

Of all people, that scoop comes from “Scandalous” Stanley Lieber, himself.

Stan the Man's Menacing Side.
     Stan the Man's Menacing Side.

You know we’re living in a new era when Twitter's a source of news.   All this hoopla's been started because of three little, itty-bitty tweets.   The first two were from Lee’s account, @smilinstanlee…

@smilinstanlee: To make up for my previous grievous error, here's a little item that may have escaped you. Marvel is prepping a movie starring-- Ant Man! 
    @smilinstanlee: I had lunch with the cool, young director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) and, as you'd imagine, we had fun discussing the tiny hero

The third was from @edgarwright, giving the British director’s side of this meeting of the minds.  

@edgarwright: Sometimes you shouldn’t meet your heroes in case they disappoint. @ smilinstanlee does not disappoint.

It’s like Akira Kurosawa’s classic, multiple-perspective samurai epic ROSHOMON  in pithy statements of 140-words-or-less!

But will it be Hank Pym?
    But will it be Hank Pym?

Wright’s been attached to make the man-that-shrinks-to-the-size-of-an-ant movie since ’06.   Since then, he’s made the Bruckheimer cop movie-spoof HOT FUZZ,   directed the fake trailer DON’T for the exploitation-throwback GRINDHOUSE and he’s been making SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (another comic-based movie).   For a while, there was talk that Pixar was going to make the ANT-MAN movie after Disney’s acquisition of Marvel, but that’s seemed to have fizzled out.

Eric O'Grady?
    Eric O'Grady?

I’ve talked about how I think Marvel’s choices of directors (Kenneth Branagh for THOR, Joe Johnston for CAPTAIN AMERICA and, of course, Jon Favreau for IRON MAN) have been very appropriate for the source material.   While I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Wright’s brazen feature filmography, though, that irascible Silly Side of me can’t help wondering why Johnston isn’t doing this project in addition to Cap.  Why? The man did HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS. Its execution of the “shrunken person in a colossally-sized world” conceit is surely more in line with this -- even more so than INNERSPACE and FANTASTIC VOYAGE.

After you have some waking nightmares of drowning in a bowl of cheerios, go ahead and chime about all this hullaballoo.  But comments CANNOT exceed 140 words!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngelFrost

ooo I loved Grindhouse and Honey I shrunk the kids.  (: 
    but anyway,
    this looks like good news! (:  I'm a fan of Wasp, so I'm glad to see she'd be brought to the big screen aswell.

grufaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By grufaine

I reeaallly want Hank Pym to show up on the big screen in one way or another. Personality disorders and  all. (Though they can wait as long as they want to delve into that side of it...)        

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Chane

Cool... if only because I want to see  Edgar Wright  do a superhero film.    

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kid_Zombie

i think this will be after the avengers movie following the second ant man when he gets the suit from Hank Pym. At least thats what I've heard

KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By KingLoki

Awesome news!!!!!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@Tom Pinchuk: Who would be the antagonist do you think?
    Egghead perhaps?

No Caption Provided
    Scoobypuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scoobypuff

i like pymand janet,but arent they in the avengers movie? so to get something out before the avengers movie comes out could be tricky and they would have to move fast, so could be time constraints.

JimmyKudo09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JimmyKudo09

@Tom Pinchuk:  After you have some waking nightmares of drowning in a bowl of cheerios, go ahead and chime about all this hullaballoo. 

I thought I was the only one to have this nightmare.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

I wouldn't mind an Ant-Man film. But it better now be Pixar like the rumours say that it is.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By labarith

Personaly, I'm an Antman II kinda guy, but given that this would be best as a Marvel In-house, Avengers-related movie I'm hoping for Pym.  Pym in the movie allows for some nice Ultimates-style "Maybe he is a jerk/wife-beater" elements that I think would be great to explore.  The idea that a member of your super-team does bad things but you still need him is ICONIC. 

So... how do you do an Ant Man movie?  Well, aside from some nice comic book adaptations about his origin/etc., have him need to go Antman for some reason (Janet accidentally shrinks herself?  A baddie causes it?  I honestly can't think of a single Antman villian, so???). 

If Antman 1 is Pym, and Avengers uses him, then Antman 2 can be "Somebody stole my super suit!"... O'Grady, or his predecessor... depending on how they want to make the movie.  You want Scott Lang if the guy's going to be likable, and you want O'Grady if you're going to spoof yourself with Antman walking into the ladies washroom.  I guess the latter might be HILARIOUS, but if  Antman 1 is mostly serious (as I would hope it would be), Lang's the way to go for Antman II, I think.  Hell, make it a running theme that the Antman movies have different Antmen, and have Antman 3 feature O'Grady.  Think of the abomination that was Spiderman 3... that might actually work for O'Grady...
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is fun as it would be i really doubt its going to be O'Grady since the movie is being pushed
    to prep for the Avengers one. its going to be Pym.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Red Rum

I think an Ant-Man movie would work better as an animated feature, not connected to the "Avengers" films. There have always been talks of Pixar doing it. 

Imagine it...

"Dr. Henry Pym is an unpopular scientist who stumbled across unstable molecules in his research, leading to safe and effective size-reduction technology. The mainstream applications of shrinking tech make him an overnight sensation, and he finally gains the heart of his high school crush, Janet Van Dyne. But when Hank accidentally shrinks himself, and cannot reverse the accident, his technology his rejected by the public for fear of shrinking themselves, and they start using the advanced robotics of Elias "Egghead" Starr, Pym's archrival. But, wait! It gets worse... When Egghead's robots go haywire, and merge into a monstrous automaton called 'ULTRON', Dr. Pym proves that big heroics come in small packages."

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Of all the 5,000+ characters in the Marvel catalog to choose from...

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd
    @Illyana Rasputin: You KNOWWW???  I mean WHO I mean REALLY.. WHO wants to ACTUALLY see an "Ant-Man" Movie? U know..a Whole entire movie.. about Ant man.. Jeeeze
    Avatar image for rorschach_s_ghost
    Rorschach's Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres the deal.. it really depends on which Ant-Man it is (likely Pym for the Avenger tie in but, I agree O'Grady is more fun) and the style its shot in. From a strictly creative perspective, Ant-Man has all the potential of any other super hero movie with the added marketable layer of taking the audience on a trip through a perspective that is unique and not often tapped into. From that stand point alone, it could be a decent flick. 

Ironman wasn't awesome simply because of a guy in a metal suit.. it was the character development,the humor, the flaws of the hero, and the perspective of flying with jet fighters, catching cars, mastering repulsors, etc.

The right style of story and filming is what gives us the difference between a Heath Ledger Joker and a Topher Grace Venom.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.