Amazing Spider-Man #683

#1 Posted by inferiorego (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

The last issue ended with a bang, and I was super excited to jump onto 683, and first thing is first. I'm a huge fan of the new Spider-Man Armor. Aside from it looking really cool, it has a bunch of great gadgets to take down some familiar foes. Although the 90s armor craze at Marvel was a bit dumb, I really feel like this looks great and has a real purpose.

Stefano Caselli (art) and Frank Martin Jr (colors) make an awesome team on this issue. I love how Stefano draws the Sinister Six, especially the two-page spread, towards the end of the issue that features the Sinister Six and the Avengers about to engage in battle. The Rhino and Sandman designs are great, and I love Martin's color transition between Sandman's green shirt and the beige it melds into.

I've said before I'm not a big fan of the Doc Ock redesign, but I can say that Caselli's work on Doc's face is exquisite. Page three has a great close-up of his face and I love all the details he put into the wrinkles and the lifts in the skin where the tubes go into the back of his head. Ok, so I've come around on at least the head design. That's pretty cool, but I'm still not digging the body design. Check back with me in a month.

Stephen Hawking cameo?! Awesome.

We have a much more collected and strategic Spider-Man here. He doesn't have the usual quips and snide remarks here, mainly because he's not just fighting one bad guy for some stolen cash. He's fighting six for the fate of the planet. I like the change in the personality for the situation. It really calls for it.

I love Dan Slott as the writer of this book for one simple reason: He made me like Spider-Man, which I didn't think was possible. I never disliked the character, but Slott's writing of Parker just makes me giddy with excitement.

The Bad

Nothing this was a great issue.

The Verdict

Part two of this story was fantastic! Everything about it was awesome. It's a great transition from the last issue and will have you on the edge of your seat from page one as the good guys and bad guys one-up each other over and over.

I'm really digging Spider-Man's functional armor and everything it can do. Caselli and Martin's art work is fantastic here and I loved how they drew the Sinister Six. I actually am coming around on Doc Ock's redesign, but mainly because I love Caselli's facial expressions. I love the change in Spidey's personality as he takes on something bigger than the average bank robber, and Dan Slott is a fantastic writer. I wouldn't want anyone else on this book.

Overall, I highly recommend picking up this book. It is fantastic. Perfect score!

Staff
#2 Posted by DATNIGGA (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

bro... Rino one shotted thor

like the Avengers got... & spiderman's suit.... wow lol its still a good issue tho but man it just goes to show you that the bad guys can win as long as they work together, train & have a battle plan lol

#3 Posted by inferiorego (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

like the Avengers got... & spiderman's suit.... wow lol its still a good issue tho but man it just goes to show you that the bad guys can win as long as they work together, train & have a battle plan lol

Yeah... I left that tid-bit out...

Awesome team work on S6's part

Staff
#4 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

My pick of the week. ASM was a better story using the Avengers than AvX this week.

#5 Posted by inferiorego (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingjoeg said:

My pick of the week. ASM was a better story using the Avengers than AvX this week.

2nd best for me this week. I liked Animal Man a bit better.

I feel like GMan and I are the only people on the net that really enjoyed AvX. I thought it was a really good start to an event I'll most likely give up on.

Staff
#6 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: I think you're right, i didn't like it either. Romita's art ruined AvX for me, the characters look like lego people.

#7 Posted by inferiorego (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingjoeg said:

@inferiorego: I think you're right, i didn't like it either. Romita's art ruined AvX for me, the characters look like lego people.

No, I was saying I do like it, but with most major Marvel events, I give up half way through because I lose interest.

Romita was better than normal IMO on that issue.

Staff
#8 Posted by longbowhunter (5847 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped reading Spider-Man on a regular basis during the Gauntlet arc. I bought the Spider Island hardback and enjoyed it. I'm willing to bet I'll like this even more.

#9 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks epic.

#10 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'll try and pick this up in trade when it's over, it looks really good.

#11 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Think I'm gonna make a note of this to pic up in trade, looks very interesting

#12 Posted by eyeonus (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is cool.

#13 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

I'm actually not a fan of this new armor. First time I saw a picture of it and didn't notice the Spider symbol. I thought it was Jason Todd. Peter making gadgets is fine, but you are walking into a dangerous area when he's constantly making suits of armor. That's Iron Man's bit.

#14 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty Fun Issue. Need to have Slott write the main event or Hickman. No Bendis or Fraction dragging it down although that is more so Fraction, I will take mindless Micheal Bay Action over sheer boredom any day.

#15 Posted by nandizzle (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is spiderman in an ironman esque suit?

#16 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever drew that cover needs to draw Black Widow more frequently. Hell, I might even buy the issue just for the cover.

Mission accomplished, Marvel!

#17 Posted by Johnnyjavavee (84 posts) - - Show Bio

in that one close up where there's blood splattered on his face... does that mean that tube going through his nose just has blood pumping through it or something?

#18 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

How did that happen? A serious Rhino should still be fodder against Thor.

#19 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese: Used the Fang of the Midgard Serpent

#20 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix said:

@royale_with_cheese: Used the Fang of the Midgard Serpent

I'm guessing he replaced his horn with that?

#21 Posted by Dernman (14025 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: I liked the first issue of AvX also but because of events like Fear Itself I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

Hopefully if they are low enough I can come away feeling it wasn't that bad if AvX takes a turn for the worse.

Am I the only one who laughed when environmentalist Ex-Vice President Gore .....

got punched in the face then disappointed when it turned out to be Chameleon even though it made more sense? :p

#22 Posted by Muis (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The previous issue was the first Marvel book I picked up in over a decade and I really enjoyed it! Can't wait for this one to arrive in the mail!

#23 Posted by Unknown_Blitz (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Aye, this issue was awesome. I only started reading Amazing Spider-Man in TPB form starting with Slott's Big Time, but have since become a big fan of the book and this arc is great so far.

#24 Posted by DATNIGGA (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese: thor randomly decides to make a corny speech after he gets rid of electro in doing so he doesn't pay attention to rhino running at him with the fang of the midgard serpent as a horn.. TBH they all should have been fodder to thor Lol ive seen thor fight SS on some cosmic stuff but.. this a classic case of Plot Induced Stupidity

#25 Posted by ChocolateFrogs (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked it, especially the two-page spread of engaging in battle (new computer wallpaper), but I did have a few quips, primarily that Spidey was constantly ignorant despite a lot of his precautions, where he underestimated Octavius, instantly said he shouldn't have, then was way too positive immediately after despite having no plan.

But overall, great story going here!

#26 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

@royale_with_cheese: thor randomly decides to make a corny speech after he gets rid of electro in doing so he doesn't pay attention to rhino running at him with the fang of the midgard serpent as a horn.. TBH they all should have been fodder to thor Lol ive seen thor fight SS on some cosmic stuff but.. this a classic case of Plot Induced Stupidity

I am thinking its more arrogance. Thor thinks these guys are trash which they are to him. I mean Spidey was not considering any prep from Doc Oc either. His plan was hit them hard and quick.

#27 Posted by deadpool25mm (545 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Review! yeah this issue is definitely 5/5.

#28 Posted by GokaiFire (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA: I didn't think Thor's "speech" was cheesy, I mean it fit his character and Rhino struck with a weapon designed specifically to take the god of thunder out. I agree that they all should have been mince meat to him if he was to actually consider them the threat that they are.

#29 Posted by sparty-dbq (715 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Ock's plan have anything to do with what he stole from Reed Richards and Hank Pym last year? I don't even remember specifically what he stole, and I don't feel like going back through my back issues.

#30 Posted by Ijan092 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was freaking amazing!

The artwork, the coloring, the story, everything This deserve a bro fist!

#31 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool25mm said:

Great Review! yeah this issue is definitely 5/5.

This. What an amazing book! I've never liked spider man, and have only been reading since the recent future NY explodes story, but I'm hooked. Just amazing.

#32 Posted by remogunz (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this issue because Doc and the Sinister 6 have a plan and its working SO FAR

#33 Posted by SpideySense (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the review. Haven't read it yet, but will be reading. Soon.

#34 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this issue. I am gad i decided to pick up spider-man. The series has been great so far

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.