Follow

Emotional Spectrum

Concept » Emotional Spectrum appears in 323 issues.

The energies created by the emotions of sentient life, visible as different wavelengths of light. This concept appears only in the DC universe.

Wheel of Emotions :: Emoticons, colours & real life psychology

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Calvin
    No Caption Provided
    Robert Plutchik tried to enumerate the emotions, also representing them by colours.

Of course it would not make sense to compare Geoff Johns' work to Plutchik's! Nevertheless I found this to be very interesting.

• Every Basic emotion has an opposite basic emotion
    • Join two Basic emotion and you get a Advanced emotion

E.g. Trust + Fear = Submission, which is the opposite of Contempt = Disgust + Anger

Plutchik's Wheel of Emotion
      Plutchik's Wheel of Emotion

Lantern Corps
    Lantern Corps
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LT1085

This is offensive to human beings.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Calvin
    @LT1085 said:
    " This is offensive to human beings. "
    I'm hearing, you got my full atention....
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By Dracade102

In the case of that Color wheel, I Annoint myself the Leader of the Light Purple Lantern Corps!!

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LT1085
    @Calvin said:
    " @LT1085 said:
    I'm hearing, you got my full atention.... "
    Human emotion has an incredibly wide spectrum...Emotions cannot be made so basic - This over simplification demeans the value of those emotions. Our capacity for such emotion is part of what makes us human in a psychological sense. This chart is like something a psychopath references in order to blend in with society.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Calvin
    @LT1085 said:
    " @Calvin said:
    " @LT1085 said:
    I'm hearing, you got my full atention.... "
    Human emotion has an incredibly wide spectrum...Emotions cannot be made so basic - This over simplification demeans the value of those emotions. Our capacity for such emotion is part of what makes us human in a psychological sense. This chart is like something a psychopath references in order to blend in with society. "

LOL! 
    I think you are taking it in the wrong way. Don't go that way. 
    This was nearly an attempt to learn more about ourselves. An attempt to catalogue the most basic raw emotions in the top of the iceberg. Also, his studies went more deeper, this is just a chart. 

I agree with you that our Emotions should not be made to simple and basic, but it's very interesting and fun to learn how emotions relate to each other.

Imagine this: Owning a telescopic and knowing the stars by name doesn't stop you from appreciating the poetic beauty of a starlit night!!!
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AtPhantom

Slightly off topic, but I love how half of what Johns is trying to sell as emotions aren't actually emotions. Will, love, compassion, greed, maybe even hope, none of those are actually emotions, but deeper or completely different psychological processes.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LT1085
    @AtPhantom said:
    " Slightly off topic, but I love how half of what Johns is trying to sell as emotions aren't actually emotions. Will, love, compassion, greed, maybe even hope, none of those are actually emotions, but deeper or completely different psychological processes. "
    Distraction. LOL
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Calvin
    @AtPhantom said:
    " Slightly off topic, but I love how half of what Johns is trying to sell as emotions aren't actually emotions. Will, love, compassion, greed, maybe even hope, none of those are actually emotions, but deeper or completely different psychological processes. "
    Or just personality traits. I didn't brought that up because I thought people who think he's a genius would find my house through my IP address and attack me, or something.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Calvin: LOL I don't think I've heard someone calling Johns a genius. Grant Morrison on the other hand....
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Calvin
    @AtPhantom said:

" @Calvin: LOL I don't think I've heard someone calling Johns a genius. Grant Morrison on the other hand.... "

You know people are all like "look at those lanterns and emotions, that's so cool" and then Calvin says "those are not really emotions, the plot makes no sence and Geoff Johns should have learned in school the meaning of investigation and reading, like any good writer". Then people ban Calvin.
    BagginsRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BagginsRA

First of all, I agree with @Calvin on almost EVERYTHING! I only disagree in the last post! See, most people complain that Willpower and a few others in the Emotional Spectrum (from now on ES), are NOT, by FAR, Emotions. I do not think that the stretch is in considering the Willpower an Emotion, but considering the ES an EMOTIONAL Spectrum. If you consider what Henshaw says when he was being interrogated by the Guardians, in the first issue of the Sinestro Corps War, "Without life, there will be no place for anger, greed or fear", as to what Ganthet and Sayd respond "There will be no place for hope or compassion. - Or love." This was not just a random talk about life. This was the very foundation of what Life, embodied by the White Lantern, is. Those parts are a portion of life in a very basic level. So the E in ES should not be Emotional but, I don't know, Existencial Spectrum.
    The plot DOES makes sense, although a little bit Care Bears sometimes...And Geoff Johns is not a genius, but the whole Second War of Light concept was very entertaining, which is the basic use of a comic. 
    It is very interesting to imagine how would other persons organize such ES, since those associations are purely circumstantial and culture-bond. Basically, it's up to each individual imagination. 

There is a post in a blog that you can check in the Emotional Spectrum  entry here at Comic Vine,  How would you redesign the emotional spectrum?  by  PumpkinBomb  that you should check out. I believe he took a lot of ideas from Plutchik's Wheel of Emotion to build his personal view of the ES, and it is really good, speaclly the part with Light and Dark sides of each color, even though these are very jedi-esque, as I have pointed out. It would mean that not all Green Lanterns for instance are good guys. They can be full representatives of the Corps and still be really good villains. 

I gotta go now, but I will return to talk more.

BagginsRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BagginsRA

I'll copy part of this post to that blog now. 

Maybe I'll start a new one later, to sum up all my thoughts about the ES.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.