Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6154 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

X-Men: First Class Character Profile: Emma Frost

• 60 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Emma Frost is one of the many characters in comic book history who started off as a villain, but worked her way onto the side of good. Of course she's not only a mutant, but she's also super-intelligent, and a huge home-wrecker. Not only is she an incredibly strong telepath, but she can also turn herself into organic diamonds. She's probably one of my favorite female villains, and although I've been one of the many people up-in-arms about this film, I'm actually fine with her being in it.

No Caption Provided

Emma "The White Queen" Frost first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #129 as a member of the mutant-aristocrats club, The Hellfire Club. She was created by X-Men legend Chris Claremont and comic book legend John Byrne. She was asked, at one point, to join Xavier's second X-Men team, but after she refused, Xavier erased the encounter from her mind. Although Emma is a strong member of the X-Men now, she was once a formidable foe and teacher.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Back in her Hellfire Club days, Emma Frost, a powerful telepath, led her own team of Mutants called the Hellions, her answer to Xavier's New Mutants. In a sense, she is the evil counterpart of Charles Xavier. Eventually, she saw the error of her ways and joined the X-Men. She led a few teams during her time on the side of good: Generation-X and the X-Men. During her time leading the X-Men, Emma developed a second mutation, like so many of her X-Men counter-parts did. She was able to turn her entire body into organic diamonds, making her a little more useful on the battlefield. Sadly, her diamond form was shattered pretty quickly, and she was out of commission for a few months. Don't worry, she was put back together like humpty dumpty and was right back in the action.

Emma became a major part of the team, especially after bagging Cyclops. Although she is a team player, she still has many secrets, like how she had Sebastian Shaw as her own secret prisoner. She's a character everyone seems to trust, although she may not be trustworthy. How much of this character do we get to see in the film though? Does she fit into the continuity?

No Caption Provided

Do the Emma Frosts of X-Men First Class and X-Men: Wolverine Origins fit in the same time-line? First thing you'll notice is that they don't look the same age at all. January Jones, who plays Emma in First Class is 8 years older than Tahyna Tozzi, who played Emma in Wolverine Origins.

The end of Wolverine Origins, when we see Emma, Cyclops, and Professor X, takes place in 1979, during the Three Mile Island incident. X-Men First Class takes place in 1963. It's 16 years between each film, but Emma seems to have gotten younger in the film. Even if you fudge the numbers a bit, it still doesn't work. I think it's safe to say that Wolverine Origins isn't a part of the X-Men continuity, and that's fine.

What will be Emma's role in this film? Well, compared to what we've seen in the trailers, it may look like we get to see a character a bit more like her role in the comic book. In a few of the screenshots we've seen creeping around the web, she is spending quite a bit of time with Kevin Bacon, who plays Sebastian Shaw in the film.

No Caption Provided

They're both dressed very nice and in what seems to be a very nice room, with wacky 60s designs everywhere, and Emma is dressed very conservatively, well, conservative for her. We know she'll be able to turn into her diamond form from the picture above, but will she be on the side of good or bad? I'm really hoping that she is a villain in this film. She is teamed up with Shaw, and that means there's a good chance we'll see the Hellfire Club in the film.

No Caption Provided

Then, there's this picture. You may want to blow it up and take a look at it first. Towards the beginning of the official trailer, we see two men looking into a room, through some glass, to see Emma in the center, sitting by herself. First thing that came to my mind was that she is one dangerous prisoner.

Later on, I noticed something that I never really caught my eye, until I started writing about Emma. Magneto, in full wardrobe, is in that same room looking at someone. Now, I can't say for sure it's Emma Frost, but it would make sense. Most of us X-Fans have a really good feeling that Xavier and Erik will go their separate ways by the end of the film, and Erik is going to want to recruit some new blood, or use another to his advantage. I have a good feeling that the Hellfire Club is the main antagonist in the film, and at one point, they will be captured, so maybe, by the end of First Class, we'll see Magneto busting them out, or at least Emma.

Hopefully, this sheds a little light on what could happen within the film with Emma's character. She was one of the few characters in the film that made sense to me, along with Sebastian Shaw. She is a lot like Professor X, so much so that she would make a great villain for the film. Maybe I'm giving this role too much credit. Maybe she'll barely be in the film at all. We all won't truly know what happens until; June 3rd anyway. What do you guys think? Is Emma right for this film? What role will she play in the over-all picture?

Mat Elfring is a teacher, comedian, and comic store employee. You can see his ramblings on ComicVine, Twitter, PrattleRattle, or on Tumblr.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

If you want/need more background on her comic book history:

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Chane

For me this film is about how well they do Emma Frost, get it wrong and nothing will redeem it in my eyes.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

A large part of how much I enjoy or despise this movie will come down to how well Emma is portrayed! Requirements? Intelligent, articulate, snarky, sardonic and badass. If Emma is these things then I shall be very pleased! I like what I have seen of Ms Jones, and her attitude with Emma, and her look! I won't mind if she is hero or villain, but she should straddle the line and seem as if she could cross. 

Nice write up! 
    Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Her Diamond form in this looks terrible. Shame :/

Rhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rhi

I'm praying Emma is a through and through villian for First Class! I love evil Emma, she's awesome! She's still awesome as a X-Man but I just prefer her when she's fighting against the X-Men! God I hope she's not a double agent for Xavier in the Hellfire Club, for me that would just suck.
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ironshadow

It sucks that they screwed they're own continuity but I think of the Emma and Kayla from X0:Wolverine as the stepford cuckoos.

Kweschun_Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kweschun_Mark

I'm not counting anything from Wolverine: Origins involved in the continuity of the other X-films. Keeping that in mind, we have yet to see this movie and can't really be sure it will fit in with the other movies. Matthew has said he took to this film with none of the other movies in mind. Although they are counting it as a 'prequel' I'm hoping it's a reboot. I will hold off judgement on Jone's potrayal of Emma until I see the movie, though from a clip I saw of her (cutting a hole in the glass) she didn't fit 100% for me. Again, it was only one line. From other adaptations of the comics, I think Emma's voice in my mind always sounds older...so Jone's softer voice felt off...I'll just contribute it to the fact that this Emma is a tad younger than we are used to in the comics.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Bestostero

yeahhh... noo...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Does anyone know if she is speaking with an English accent or not? 

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thecheckeredman

Granted, I'm not a big fan of Emma anyway and I'm sure January Jones is a fine actress (I don't watch Madmen) but IMHO Ms. Jones always seems so stiff and awkward...I just don't see her as Frost. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Wasn't she the Band Geek's sister in american Pie 3?
    KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By KJPPPimp
    @SC: No accent. Check out the second clip down to here her speak at 
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167385-four-new-clips-from-x-men-first-class
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @KJPPPimp:  Ah thank you my masked friend! 

Awwh, I was sort of hoping for the accent. Thats how she sounds in my head. 
    KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KJPPPimp
    @SC: Yeah, me too. I think it's been stated in the comics that she speaks with a fake British accent even though she's from Massachusetts.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @KJPPPimp:  Yea. One time she engaged in a telepathic battle with a British telepath, whilst she was at Uni (her mini series covered her childhood and school days) and it was in that battle she picked it up! Might be too contrived to touch on that in the movie, but its still what I think when i imagine her speak. lol 
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't know, just seems someone else more worthy than January Jones could have been Emma in my opinion. I'm still gonna see this regardless though.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jubilee042

in the trailer i think her clothes turn diamond does that really happen i couldn't tell can some one tell me and i love her being in the film although i don't love her costume adn someone answer my question please

Wingfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wingfoot

Hi !

As in the Ultimate X-men line, Emma Frost here is more or less a contemporary of Charles Xavier (but not ex-lovers).

The 60's style fits her well, to me.

Contrariwise, the diamond form is failed, as in the (puke) "Wolverine" movie !

I don't know if "First class" is a prequel of the X-men trilogy (seems to be) or afull reboot but obviously this Emma Frost is not the Emma (not named, I recall) seen in that-thing-you-know.

Hihane washte.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jcbart

As long as Singer and Vaughn don't treat her like, as Matt Fraction unfortunately writes her, a one dimensional bitch and actually give her some complexity in her dialogue she'll be perfect.

On a side note, the room in which you refer to is shown again, where Emma seems to turn her hand into diamond and breaks a circle in the glass similar to 'heist' movies.
    jeprox30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By jeprox30

i'm pretty much hoping that the line "Wolverine Origins isn't a part of the X-men Continuity" serves true... Havok a father to cyclops? No way. Hell no. I HEAVILY TRUST BRYAN SINGER THAT HE WILL NOT RUIN THE CONTINUITY HE STARTED.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By umbrafeline

i cant wait for the movie
    Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Out_of_Space

Damn ! Her diamond form looks really bad.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Bryan Singer has Emma under control... but Havok has Cyke's Father, it may be for the....best?

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Ok, I'm sorry to sound like a nitpicking jerk Mat, but did this go past an editor? Because although the comic was Wolverine: Origins, the movie (the terrible, terrible movie) was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. You called had it backwards in the article. Personally I just call it Wolverine, or occasionally i'll just call it Origins.
    As far as the article, this is what I'm thinking: Shaw invents the helmet to stop Emma (or any other psychics) from reading his mind. Any scenes where Magneto is wearing it come after they've defeated Shaw and Magneto has turned to the dark side. That weird room is essentially a holding cell for super powerful evil mutants, and we'll be led to believe that Emma is in it (again) when fully costumed Magneto is there to recruit her, but it will be a twist because at that point the most powerful evil mutant, that the government captures, will be Mystique. That scene will probably be the last one in the film.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mbecks14

This film is just going to be bad. i can tell.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping she has her telepathy in the movie. The trailers don't really show her interacting in action scenes that much, and the only time we see her, she is going into her diamond form. Psylocke's appearance in X-3 was a version completely devoid of any recognizable telepathic powers.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By CATPANEXE

I like this actress better than the prior, hopefully the character herself will be done better as well.
    Given how poorly she was portrayed in the previous, I can only imagine something better from this.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Primmaster64

Or that X-Men first class doesn't take place in the X-men movie universe.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By JonesDeini
    @SC said:
    Oddly I find Ms. Frost less attractive now that I know she's not British. She always seemed like a quintessentially English woman, but instead she's just an New England aristocrat. For years I actually thought all the Hellfire Club were English, i feel like I just discovered that the tooth fairy isn't real :(
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pixelized

@SC said:

She is not. (First vid)

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrSeaman70

She brought lingerie to a fist fight :P

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Dark Cell

"I think it's safe to say that Wolverine Origins isn't a part of the X-Men continuity, and that's fine." 

That means you are implying that the first three Xmen films are also not part of the continuity; because Origins was tied heavily into the first three. 

No. Its the same continuity just a different actress, just like War Machine in Iron Man 1 & 2 with the actor change.
    sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By sa5m

That does not look like diamond to me

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#34  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

At this point, continuity has been thrown out the window to me. I'm not a fan of Emma being in this since that would mean she'd be an old lady when Cyclops is brought in -__-

The movie doesn't bother me as much since I've never really cared for most of the X-Men that are in this movie, so I'm not really annoyed/anger at the changes. I like both Magneto and Mystique, I like that Magneto was one of the founders and it makes sense in my opinion (and is actually more close to their Ultimate counterparts). As for Mystique, I like that she's an X-Men and I'm guessing from how we've seen her and Magneto interact in the trailers she'll join him in the end, not really sure about her meeting Charles when he was a kid though, but it just deepens on how much they do with that in the film.

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renee

I like that she's in the movie but I'm just not a fan of the actress playing her. And the first Emma looks like Tiny Kong. Bloop!

doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By doddy

i think emma was not such a major villain as marvel hype tody. professor x even believed that the purpose of her school was instructional in the same manner as his...she just had wanted to be a teacher

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @JonesDeini said:
    @SC said:
    Oddly I find Ms. Frost less attractive now that I know she's not British. She always seemed like a quintessentially English woman, but instead she's just an New England aristocrat. For years I actually thought all the Hellfire Club were English, i feel like I just discovered that the tooth fairy isn't real :(

I completely understand what you mean, jolly ol chap, its a right royal pickle in trickle oh no barnle rubble here comes the trouble. Bloody ell, Emma's accent adds a layer of depth to the character thicker than a Geordies accent err... guvner...  argy-bargy, geezers. cobblers. Luvvly-jubbly. 

Don't mind me, I have been drinking! =p  

@pixelized said:

@SC said:

She is not. (First vid)

Thank you pixelized, much appreciated! *smile* 
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I think January will be a great Emma (: she looksvery good in the promo.  
    2 things I do have problems with, is that Emma Frost in First Class turns her clothing into diamond as well ... it doesn't make sense, since her powers only affect her biology. 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
     and Emma turning a single part of her body into diamond annoyed me .. :/ since she could never do it in the comics, I liked that weakness to her. That she could be either completely physical or completely mental. 

But yeah, the whole movie is not that much in-continuity, so it's just minor factors really
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GREGalicious

I was iffy about January playing EMMA since i only really knew her from American Wedding but seeing her in the previews and she really is PERFECT and i havent watched her in Mad Men yet but i hear shes a good actress so i hope she isnt just in a few scenes. 
    She's one of the characters in this film that are on my X-Men favs list (along with Banshee, Magneto, Mystique, and the Professor). Im pretty sure the other four will get good screentime and i hope Emma gets the same.

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By sladewilson30

i think they should have used someone hotter, january jones is beautiful, but nowhere near the league of emma frost

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Westlife

I like this Emma a lot better, actually. The other one didn't exactly say, "Hey, I'm Emma Frost, the walking epitome of sexy in Marvel Comics(yes that's what she is to me)." But there's that one person who'd make the best Emma Frost EVAR!!!!

Avatar image for the_diamond_prince
    The_Diamond_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just based on that short 40 second clip I've seen of Jones, I'm a little worried. Her voice seems to be lacking the sophistication I expect for Emma. This is only a small gripe that is based on a short clip, and I will definitely try keep myself open to January's interpretation. Emma's portrayal will have a strong hold on my enjoyment of the film..I hope she can pull it off :/

djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By djotaku

Because of the way super hero films are handled - how many times do we need Batman's origins or Spidey's, I never worry too much about cannon when it comes to these things. 

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The Psyentist
    @Westlife said:
    I like this Emma a lot better, actually. The other one didn't exactly say, "Hey, I'm Emma Frost, the walking epitome of sexy in Marvel Comics(yes that's what she is to me)." But there's that one person who'd make the best Emma Frost EVAR!!!!
    I am too flattered to probe my extensive vocabulary to think of words to say. So, I will resort to using this simple phrase unusually devoid of sarcasm. Thank you, darling. <3
    Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Westlife
    @The Psyentist
    I am pleased to elate you. You have a very scintillating smile(Teacher had us learning words for the SAT all year, Which I got a 1780 on. That's good I think?)
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By B'Town

I'm going to love Emma and this movie no matter how crappy it is.  

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By PowerHerc

It seems that her diamond form could've been done in a more appealing way.
    PsyKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PsyKnight

^-- The Psyentist

@Westlife

said:

@The Psyentist: I am pleased to elate you. You have a very scintillating smile(Teacher had us learning words for the SAT all year, Which I got a 1780 on. That's good I think?)

I suppose it's ironic since Emma Frost actually uses the word "scintillating," and it has since become one of my favourite words. (Yes, better than average. Good job. I forgot what I got on the SAT, but it was high enough to exempt English Composition.)
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Silkcuts
    @The Psyentist said:
    @Westlife said:
    I am too flattered to probe my extensive vocabulary to think of words to say. So, I will resort to using this simple phrase unusually devoid of sarcasm. Thank you, darling. <3
    I think you would make a better Emma then the ugly lady in First Class.  It is Emma, the girl gotta be pretty.
    Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Westlife
    @Silkcuts said:
    @The Psyentist said:
    @Westlife said:
    I think you would make a better Emma then the ugly lady in First Class.  It is Emma, the girl gotta be pretty.
    We should get a petition or a poll or something going.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.