Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6125 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

Who does HATE Fraction's work on Emma's personality?

Vallary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vallary

I mean, we all read Grant Morrison's work.... Sometimes, when i read Uncanny, I just want to go and kill myself.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Yup.  Have you seen the Preview pages for The Confession?  It's dreadful!  Emma frost, the beautiful and cold former White Queen of the Hellfire Club who repeatedly battled the X-Men in her underwear... is reduced to a whiney crybaby.  Just colour her hair red & be done with it... In fact, lets just call her Jean 2 from now on.

nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nikbackm
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Yup.  Have you seen the Preview pages for The Confession?  It's dreadful!  Emma frost, the beautiful and cold former White Queen of the Hellfire Club who repeatedly battled the X-Men in her underwear... is reduced to a whiney crybaby.  Just colour her hair red & be done with it... In fact, lets just call her Jean 2 from now on. "
    Not true, I don't remember Jean crying much at all! :)

Confession is also written by Kyle & Yost, not Fraction. He hasn't had her cry yet for that matter, but he has of course been remiss in other regards.
    Fraction's not my favorite Emma writer (far from it), but I can tolerate his version.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @nikbackm: It's not just in Confession.  It's in the start of Exodus as well.  In fact, his characterisation for all the X-Men has been so far fetched that they would be unrecognisable if they didn't keep using codenames to identify each other.  After all, we can't rely on Greg Land or Terry Dodson to draw distinctive characters  Fraction has set Emma up to be an insecure whiney cow and I can't stand it.  It wouldn't kill him to actually read some back issues to get an idea of her real character.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @xerox-kitty: Hey...I've seen you mention Fraction being utterly terrible many times before. As someone whose never read any of his books, do you mind alliterating a bit? Like, just a few good examples of his poor character-work. I'm honestly very curious...
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kerukun878
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "Yup.  Have you seen the Preview pages for The Confession?  It's dreadful!  Emma frost, the beautiful and cold former White Queen of the Hellfire Club who repeatedly battled the X-Men in her underwear... is reduced to a whiney crybaby.  Just colour her hair red & be done with it... In fact, lets just call her Jean 2 from now on. "

You an idiot? No offense to be honest, but Jean isnt even that way, she doesnt even whine, hows about we call her... Hmm... ISK who to call her lol
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By uncanny89

i like fractions work, ill agree its not the best emma we've seen, but who can compare to joss wheadons version of Emma, and the fact that she is "a whiney crybaby" i think its meant to show that she actuannly cares, and tbh ive not really seen her be a whiney crybaby. yes shes more emotional now, but i dont think we will have that problem till the end of nation x
    Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Vallary said:
    " I mean, we all read Grant Morrison's work.... Sometimes, when i read Uncanny, I just want to go and kill myself. "
    i find it strange people still buy fractions uncanny.........THAT'S WEIRD!
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Lifeguard85

Fractions depictions of the X_men are awful

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Lifeguard85: so true dude, thus why i don't recommend anyone buy what passes as Uncanny nowadays
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uncanny89

imo fraction is doing a good job, hes taking characters in new directions and hope he stays for a while longer, but if grant morrison ever wanted to come back i think they should get rid of fraction lol. i dont know if the reason im liking fractions work is because hes a good writer (which he is) or because he actually involves emma frost alot (who happens to be my favorite marvel woman)
    Foreverbbyily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Foreverbbyily
    @xerox-kitty:
    THAT IS SO TRUE THE ONLII THING JEAN IS GOOD FOR IS THAT MS.ALWAYS HAS TO BE PERFECT :)
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fractions not bad. Love his Iron Man. his X-stuff is however not making me happy. lots of mistakes
    and sloppy work. His characterizations arent bad...because there are none! lol. 
    Im a big fan of Emma and Fraction doesnt get her at all.  In his defense i think he's out of his element. I feel that way about alot of talent when they do bad work. He's not good for the X-Mewn world. I feel he took it because it was profile and vice-versa, it took him for the same reason. 
    Id rather he dropped out of it and focused more on Iron Man where he's doing great, maybe pick up War Machine if he can. then again Jeph Loeb is gunning to get Uncanny after him...

Vallary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vallary

Oh jesus christ, you scared me shitless with this whole Loeb thing))))))))))))))))))))))

@uncanny89:
    I can't agree with you - Fraction's Emma (i already hate calling her that) has her highlights and good moments, but mostly she's, like he called her himself once, "a human equivalent of a expensive handbag". I have no idea what the hell she does half the time. 
    In Fraction's deffence - he made Cyclops an amazing leader. And his Iron Man rules. But to hell with his work on my beloved x-men!

Foreverbbyily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Foreverbbyily
    @kerukun878:
    is that all you do is go around calling people idiots because something doesnt go your way you know what hunn i see why your such a jean grey fann hmmm
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Pania

I hate Fraction's work on the X-Men period. Emma's Scott's cheerleader, Scott's a damn tool who is cribbing from Magneto's playbook only he's incompetent at it**, and the rest of the characters have become near faceless wallpaper there only to validate the Scott and Emma show. 

It's the first rule of storytelling: Show, don't tell. If a comic has to expend the amount of time and panel space Uncanny does trying to convince the reader that a characters actions are valid, rather than relying on the actions themselves to prove their validity, there is something very wrong with the way the comic is being written. 

** Utopia is still in U.S. waters which means legally Scott is not Castro, he's David Koresh. And Scott has made the X-Men into a terrorist organization with X-Force's activities. He's put a huge target on the mutant community's back, just as al Queda's activities put a huge target on the back of Afghanistan and the Taliban. No one in the world can or will say boo if the largest military force on the planet only a couple miles away decides to take them out. And if 16 million mutants could not stop a sentinel genocide on Genosha, 227 of them certainly cannot an invasion by the U.S. and S.H.I.E.L.D. (since X-Force is exactly the kind of organization S.H.I.E.L.D. was designed to stop).

Nor could anyone stop the U.S. from blockading Utopia and starving them out.

So not only is Scott cribbing from Magneto's playbook, he's doing it wrong.

Plus, if he is "the savor of mutant-kind", wouldn't he be encouraging mutant to go and date humans so they can spread the mutant gene as far and wide as possible and keep the gene pool mixed up? All he is doing is fencing them off so that inbreeding will eventually destroy the population.

Barring that, at the very least Scott could have moved the mutant community to a much safer location than they have now, like Genosha which is in international waters but close to Storm's Wakanda, has the possibility of being self sustaining with Asteroid M does not, and well away from the U.S. Their insistence in staying in and around the U.S. is pretty stupid at this point. 

So when Emma calls Scott "the savior of mutant kind" I have to wonder when she got the lobotomy.

P.S. And since when did Emma regret killing Adrienne? That was dealt with a long time ago in an X-Men Unlimited in which Emma said her only regret was not killing Adrienne sooner before she killed Synch.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By King Quisling

I hate Matt Fraction. Nuff' said. 

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By pixelized
    @Pania said:
    " I hate Fraction's work on the X-Men period. Emma's Scott's cheerleader, Scott's a damn tool who is cribbing from Magneto's playbook only he's incompetent at it**, and the rest of the characters have become near faceless wallpaper there only to validate the Scott and Emma show.   It's the first rule of storytelling: Show, don't tell. If a comic has to expend the amount of time and panel space Uncanny does trying to convince the reader that a characters actions are valid, rather than relying on the actions themselves to prove their validity, there is something very wrong with the way the comic is being written.   ** Utopia is still in U.S. waters which means legally Scott is not Castro, he's David Koresh. And Scott has made the X-Men into a terrorist organization with X-Force's activities. He's put a huge target on the mutant community's back, just as al Queda's activities put a huge target on the back of Afghanistan and the Taliban. No one in the world can or will say boo if the largest military force on the planet only a couple miles away decides to take them out. And if 16 million mutants could not stop a sentinel genocide on Genosha, 227 of them certainly cannot an invasion by the U.S. and S.H.I.E.L.D. (since X-Force is exactly the kind of organization S.H.I.E.L.D. was designed to stop). Nor could anyone stop the U.S. from blockading Utopia and starving them out. So not only is Scott cribbing from Magneto's playbook, he's doing it wrong. Plus, if he is "the savor of mutant-kind", wouldn't he be encouraging mutant to go and date humans so they can spread the mutant gene as far and wide as possible and keep the gene pool mixed up? All he is doing is fencing them off so that inbreeding will eventually destroy the population. Barring that, at the very least Scott could have moved the mutant community to a much safer location than they have now, like Genosha which is in international waters but close to Storm's Wakanda, has the possibility of being self sustaining with Asteroid M does not, and well away from the U.S. Their insistence in staying in and around the U.S. is pretty stupid at this point.  "
    Pania! i'm thrilled to see you around again. 

I don't think i need to post it here as i say it everywhere else, but i loathe Matt Fraction's X-Men. With every Fiber of my being, i can not wait for him to disappear.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pania

Hey Pixelized! Thanks. :) How's it going?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pixelized

Grand Grand Grand as long as i stay away from any X-Book with my favorite characters ]=

Have you gotten back into them yet??

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pania

Not yet. The LCBS lets me read them in the shop because I am a long term customer, but Marvel is no longer getting any of my cash until they ditch Alex Alanso and Matt Fraction...and quit this non-stop "remaking the Marvel Universe in the image of whatever hot writer is having an ego trip this month", amoung other issues I am currently having with them.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pixelized

Matt Fraction + Greg Land = a Major "Lose/lose" situation for me. If Dodson is on pencils i'll skim through specifically for the pictures. I like how he brought Dazzler back  just so she could play a few club kids and have one line of dialogue.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pixelized

I hate Emma Frost thanks to Matt Fraction. I truly cannot stand her. Her biting wit is now gone, the way she could rip a character apart with her tongue alone is also gone. There's nothing left of her that I once loved. Now Emma is constantly cheapened so that Cyclops can appear as though he's the badass in the relationship. It's all so exhausting. So thanks to the 20+ issues of Fraction's character degradation, reading her in other books, the way she should be written, just makes her seem unnecessarily bitchy. Kat Immonen's Emma in, "X-Men:Pixie Strikes Back" comes off as being bored with her life and her students, expressing minimal concern that 5 of her charges have disappeared.  Generation X's Emma in her turtleneck's and blue jeans was never this bad. 

R.I.P. Emma Frost 
    January 1980 - August 2008.

And stop changing her main picture to Some fan arty crap. You should be ashamed of yourself.

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uncanny89

I think Fraction is begining to get used to a team book now, but i am going to retract my earlier comments about fractions Emma as i dont think that he is doing as good a job as i think he can (having read his iron man stuff).   

I think that after Second Coming we should be getting a new Uncanny writer maybe (this is wishfull thinking) get Joss Wheadon to do the book, if he could make it on time.  

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Baddamdog

Morrison is the ultimate writer, his work on her made that character

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uncanny89

I dont think that Emma has been as good as she was in New X-Men (GM's run) and more recently Joss' Astonishing X-Men

Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I liked her in Joss' Astonishing as well, but to be honest, I don't really much care for anything Fraction does on X-Men

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

That last 'issue' of Uncanny will be my last for some time thank you very much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.