Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6154 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

When did Emma discover Scott's mental block?

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

I just read on Emma's wiki page that she recently discovered that Scott's inability to control his optic blast was from a mental block not brain damage and she corrected it and he was able to control his powers for a while.  When did this happen?

justafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By justafan

i think it was during the unstoppable story arc of astonishing x-men. By the end Scott looses control so it didn't really last

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

It wasn't recently. It was during Astonishing X-Men. I'll try and search up the scans.

I think this is what you're talking about. It's been a while since I read it, though.

No Caption Provided
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Green Skin

Dang it, I've been trying to forget that load of crap ever happened.  I really hate that whole thing for 2 reasons: 1) It messes with the continuity of Cyclops' origin 2) It implies that Emma is a better telepath than Jean.

Bullocks I tells ya!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Green Skin said:

Dang it, I've been trying to forget that load of crap ever happened. I really hate that whole thing for 2 reasons: 1) It messes with the continuity of Cyclops' origin 2) It implies that Emma is a better telepath than Jean.

And it implies that she's a better telepath than the Professor too.

@Green Skin said:

Bullocks I tells ya!

Agreed!

At least the monotonously paced Prelude To Schism re-established that his lack of control over his powers was due to the impact to his head as a child.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Green Skin
    @xerox-kitty said:

@Green Skin said:

Dang it, I've been trying to forget that load of crap ever happened. I really hate that whole thing for 2 reasons: 1) It messes with the continuity of Cyclops' origin 2) It implies that Emma is a better telepath than Jean.

@Green Skin said:

Bullocks I tells ya!

Agreed!

At least the monotonously paced Prelude To Schism re-established that his lack of control over his powers was due to the impact to his head as a child.

Glad to hear they've reestablished it.
    Ceddsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ceddsong

I always assumed that Emma wasnt more powerful but that she cared enough about Scott to really examine him. It was more like an act of love than a sign of Emma's power level. And if I recall correctly Emma was originally created as the anti-Prof X. His equal in every way but on the other side of the track. I liked the new spin on Cyclops condition. I thought it added something extra to him. Made his success as a man more hard won.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Timandm

I would guess the new spin on Cyclops condition would be  in response to the appearance of healers like Elixir...  IF Scott's condition was merely the result of an injury, Elixir could heal it quickly and VOILA, no more visor... and the writers probably don't want a "cyclops" without a visor... He'd have to change his name to...um... Diclops?

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By One_Eye
    @Ceddsong said:
    I always assumed that Emma wasnt more powerful but that she cared enough about Scott to really examine him. It was more like an act of love than a sign of Emma's power level. And if I recall correctly Emma was originally created as the anti-Prof X. His equal in every way but on the other side of the track. I liked the new spin on Cyclops condition. I thought it added something extra to him. Made his success as a man more hard won.
    I agree.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nikbackm
    @xerox-kitty said:

Not necessarily.  That assumes it was fixable that way when the Professor checked it out far back when he first got to Scott. The brain damage could have healed since then leaving only the psychological block. 

He did bump his head a few times during his career, and we all know the best way to fix a brain damage is to get hit again :)
    (One time it was made very explicit, when he hit it on a rock outcropping while falling down in a hole. Maybe part of a plan to fix his problem at the time)

@xerox-kitty said:

Not quite. It said something like: "Either due to brain damage OR lacking the discipline to control it" 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Green Skin
    @nikbackm said:

@xerox-kitty said:

Not quite. It said something like: "Either due to brain damage OR lacking the discipline to control it" 
    You are incorrect.
    No Caption Provided
    @Ceddsong said:
    That's even worse because it implies that Jean didn't love Scott as much as Emma does, and we all know that's just not true.  Jean was more powerful than Emma and shared a psychic report with him, yet she couldn't detect anything and Emma could?  Rubbish.
    Ceddsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ceddsong

Remember Jean was all about not reading Scott but letting him confide in her. I'm not saying Jean didn't love Scott but I'm saying the love Jean and Emma direct love towards him differently. Jean and Scott are old high school flames whereas Emma is a new and adult love. One not created and tested in youth. Emma is more willing to do whatever it takes to keep the relationship going to understand and work with Scott. Jean had familiarity and history . Why would she ever read his mind the way Emma did. That's not in her character to do something along those lines. I don't think it is ever question of love but of motive and perspective. Jean and the Prof weren't looking but Emma was.

nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nikbackm
    @Green Skin said:
    @nikbackm said:

@xerox-kitty said:

You are incorrect.
    That's even worse because it implies that Jean didn't love Scott as much as Emma does, and we all know that's just not true.  Jean was more powerful than Emma and shared a psychic report with him, yet she couldn't detect anything and Emma could?  Rubbish.

Don't stop reading at that point, keep going.

And pure power does not always tell the whole story regarding a telepath's capabilities.  Skill, experience, dexterity and willingness to cross boundaries also plays a big part.  Who says Jean even thought to attempt scanning for something like this?

(Keep in mind that Emma did this when she was sort of possessed in order to find vulnerabilities to exploit in her head-games)

No Caption Provided
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Green Skin
    @nikbackm said:
    @Green Skin said:
    @nikbackm said:

@xerox-kitty said:

You are incorrect.

Don't stop reading at that point, keep going.

And pure power does not always tell the whole story regarding a telepath's capabilities.  Skill, experience, dexterity and willingness to cross boundaries also plays a big part.  Who says Jean even thought to attempt scanning for something like this?

(Keep in mind that Emma did this when she was sort of possessed in order to find vulnerabilities to exploit in her head-games)

No Caption Provided
    I don't think they are talking about his ability to control his powers there.   It's stated quite clearly in the other scan that he couldn't control his ability because of the concussion.  This scan is much more nebulous. It sounds more like he's refering to why he never quite 'got it'.  Either way that's really bad writing.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nikbackm
    @Green Skin said:
    I don't think they are talking about his ability to control his powers there.   It's stated quite clearly in the other scan that he couldn't control his ability because of the concussion.  This scan is much more nebulous. It sounds more like he's refering to why he never quite 'got it'.  Either way that's really bad writing.

No. 

"Never quite got it" refers back to "...who could never quite control myself."

It's pretty unambiguous really. Even if there were other things Cyclops could never learn to control it's very clear his talking about powers here. 

You might call it bad writing if you like, but it says what it says. And is consistent with both Astonishing X-Men and earlier stories. If anything the previous page would be bad writing ;)
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Green Skin
    @nikbackm said:
    @Green Skin said:

No. 

"Never quite got it" refers back to "...who could never quite control myself."  It's pretty unambiguous really. Even if there were other things Cyclops could never learn to control it's very clear his talking about powers here.   You might call it bad writing if you like, but it says what it says. And is consistent with both Astonishing X-Men and earlier stories. If anything the previous page would be bad writing ;)
    You are so wrong.  The scan you posted is non specific about what it's referring to, and it would be the bad writing.  "That once my powers manifested I'd never be able to control them because of that concussion."  It's clear, concise and to the point.  "could never quite control myself" could mean anything.  Notice he says 'himself' not 'his power'.  My reference specifically states that they are talking about his power, yours doesn't.            
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nikbackm
    @Green Skin said:

@nikbackm said:

@Green Skin said:

No. 

"Never quite got it" refers back to "...who could never quite control myself."  It's pretty unambiguous really. Even if there were other things Cyclops could never learn to control it's very clear his talking about powers here.   You might call it bad writing if you like, but it says what it says. And is consistent with both Astonishing X-Men and earlier stories. If anything the previous page would be bad writing ;)
    You are so wrong.  The scan you posted is non specific about what it's referring to, and it would be the bad writing.  "That once my powers manifested I'd never be able to control them because of that concussion."  It's clear, concise and to the point.  "could never quite control myself" could mean anything.  Notice he says 'himself' not 'his power'.  My reference specifically states that they are talking about his power, yours doesn't.            
    Try to read back a little further still and you will come to: "team of kids with amazing abilities". Then read forward and you get to the "knocked my head one time on the ground OR ...". In-between those we have "could never quite control myself" and "never quite got it".

I know that reading between the lines can sometimes be non-trivial, and things can be interpreted different ways, but this is quite unambiguous and very clear.

(Well, to anyone who's not desperate to see only what they want to be true at least.)

And this does not contradict the earlier page, it expands upon it. Stories often works better when you don't info-dump everything related to a certain topic at once, but instead continuously reveal a little more as it goes on. Makes for smoother reading that way.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Green Skin
    @nikbackm said:
    @Green Skin said:

@nikbackm said:

@Green Skin said:

No. 

Try to read back a little further still and you will come to: "team of kids with amazing abilities". Then read forward and you get to the "knocked my head one time on the ground OR ...". In-between those we have "could never quite control myself" and "never quite got it".

I know that reading between the lines can sometimes be non-trivial, and things can be interpreted different ways, but this is quite unambiguous and very clear.(Well, to anyone who's not desperate to see only what they want to be true at least.)And this does not contradict the earlier page, it expands upon it. Stories often works better when you don't info-dump everything related to a certain topic at once, but instead continuously reveal a little more as it goes on. Makes for smoother reading that way.
    Whatever, we can agree to disagree.  It still looks to me that he is referencing the effect that having uncontrollable powers had on him as a person.   The very fact that your reading 'in-between the lines' just proves my point further. It's not clear, otherwise you wouldn't have to read between the lines.  Yes, it does contradict the earlier page if you read it as talking about his powers.  That whole sequence is Cyclops reflecting on his personal journey, not the biology of his abilities.  but like I said, we can agree to disagree.  You read it your way, I'll read it mine.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nikbackm

Never said I was reading between the lines. Sometimes you have to do that, but this is not one of those times.

This is more like "connect the dots". All three of them. Written out in order.

(Yes, he's referring to his uncontrollable power, which is uncontrollable either due to "knocked my head one time at the ground"OR"never had the discipline to succeed".)

(No contradiction, the first page is from where he was a kid, and then everyone thought the hit on the head was the sole reason. Later - as in this page - there have been other revelations/developments.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.