What do you want to happen to her?

#1 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma has had an interesting past, and at the moment I don't really believe a character of her calibre should be in such a "rut".

What should happen with this character? Leave Cyclops? Join the others at Westchester?

Any ideas for writers or stories you think would be good?

Maybe you wish she got more spotlight in the book she is in? Maybe less?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I am curious what writers plan on doing with her. She was very fresh when she was in the New X-Men and Astonishing, but now she just lingers around unless Scott is monolouging out load to her in which she offers some witty dialouge. She has gained a loyal fan base so even if the writers take her in a poor direction her fans will remain loyal until someone can fix the issue so I say you explore her options abit.

Leave Scott for Namor? I would enjoy seeing her with someone else. I think she has proved that she know longer needs Scott as a crutch and vice versa.

Leave for Westchester? Ha she would be the most hated person around. Besides they don't have much use for her they have Rachel.

Thats all I got

#3 Edited by God_Spawn (36011 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd want her to stay with Scott and the X-Men but as long as she is being written properly there is no reason she can't.

As long as someone like Gillen stays on the books I think she is in a good spot. Ever since he has taken over UXM I think Emma has become more prominent than she was and is being written like her b*tchy self should. She has shown in the series that she can deny Scott's requests and do some awesome things like shut down all the Sinisters while bleeding out from being armless. I think that dynamic is something she needed once again and needed it badly.

Break her and Scott up? No. Scott and Em are my fave couple in Marvel and when written properly are awesome. The problem is there aren't many writers who just "get it". It basically comes down to Morrison, Whedon and Gillen at this point IMO. And I don't want them to split, they are both such good characters when together. Splitting her up to go for someone like Namor who is at best a supporting character nowadays and is a character that would only use Em for sex is even more degrading than her saying 2 speech bubbles and or a witty one liner like how she was previously being written. If she did however leave Cyclops, Emma would easily be better off as a character than Cyclops would. Either way, I don't see them splitting the couple up anytime soon.

She doesn't need to go Winchester nor would that be a good idea except for squabbles with Kitty.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Moderator
#4 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

I like where she is now and hope she stays there for a while longer

#5 Posted by God_Spawn (36011 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

I like where she is now and hope she stays there for a while longer

Summed up what I said but in a much shorter way. Nicely done, now get out for showing me up.

Moderator
#6 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn:

*backs out the door slowly stops to scream "HA!" then runs away*

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92097 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn

I'd want her to stay with Scott and the X-Men but as long as she is being written properly there is no reason she can't.

As long as someone like Gillen stays on the books I think she is in a good spot. Ever since he has taken over UXM I think Emma has become more prominent than she was and is being written like her b*tchy self should. She has shown in the series that she can deny Scott's requests and do some awesome things like shut down all the Sinisters while bleeding out from being armless. I think that dynamic is something she needed once again and needed it badly.

Break her and Scott up? No. Scott and Em are my fave couple in Marvel and when written properly are awesome. The problem is there aren't many writers who just "get it". It basically comes down to Morrison, Whedon and Gillen at this point IMO. And I don't want them to split, they are both such good characters when together. Splitting her up to go for someone like Namor who is at best a supporting character nowadays and is a character that would only use Em for sex is even more degrading than her saying 2 speech bubbles and or a witty one liner like how she was previously being written. If she did however leave Cyclops, Emma would easily be better off as a character than Cyclops would. Either way, I don't see them splitting the couple up anytime soon.

She doesn't need to go Winchester nor would that be a good idea except for squabbles with Kitty.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

THISSSSSSS
Moderator
#8 Posted by Duchess (5990 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to see Emma break up with Scott, she just needs more purpose or storyline outside of him.

#9 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep her away from the school.

#10 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see a bit more of the Emma from Grant Morrison's run. With Morrison's run I felt she was unpredictable and I never knew what she would do next. That's what I love about her.

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92097 posts) - - Show Bio

@oraclefyre: Have you read Astonishing?

Moderator
#12 Edited by time (4578 posts) - - Show Bio

It's actually kind of funny what's happen to Emma Frost, she only had two good runs on X-Men. Morrison run and Joss Whedon. It's been 9 years right and all Emma Frost has done is lived in Cyclops shadow. They make Namor joint the X-Men to make her more interesting. I wonder what the future holds for her.

@Duchess said:

I don't want to see Emma break up with Scott, she just needs more purpose or storyline outside of him.

You said it. She does need more purpose or storylines away from Scott.

#13 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@oraclefyre: Have you read Astonishing?

Yep:) Joss did some amazing work with her. I don't know why but I prefer her written by Morrison. Just personal taste I guess.

#14 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1634 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@god_spawn

I'd want her to stay with Scott and the X-Men but as long as she is being written properly there is no reason she can't.

As long as someone like Gillen stays on the books I think she is in a good spot. Ever since he has taken over UXM I think Emma has become more prominent than she was and is being written like her b*tchy self should. She has shown in the series that she can deny Scott's requests and do some awesome things like shut down all the Sinisters while bleeding out from being armless. I think that dynamic is something she needed once again and needed it badly.

Break her and Scott up? No. Scott and Em are my fave couple in Marvel and when written properly are awesome. The problem is there aren't many writers who just "get it". It basically comes down to Morrison, Whedon and Gillen at this point IMO. And I don't want them to split, they are both such good characters when together. Splitting her up to go for someone like Namor who is at best a supporting character nowadays and is a character that would only use Em for sex is even more degrading than her saying 2 speech bubbles and or a witty one liner like how she was previously being written. If she did however leave Cyclops, Emma would easily be better off as a character than Cyclops would. Either way, I don't see them splitting the couple up anytime soon.

She doesn't need to go Winchester nor would that be a good idea except for squabbles with Kitty.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

THISSSSSSS

Yep.

#15 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like to see her die jk maybe she should try to do something completely evil thats way out of her league just for fun also for it to became physically impossible for her to say the word "darling" that would great lol

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92097 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@Duchess said:

I don't want to see Emma break up with Scott, she just needs more purpose or storyline outside of him.

This in a nutshell.

Scott and Emma should remain with each other but please, please, give her more of a purpose outside of their relationship. She deserves panel time that doesn't involve Cyclops (or Namor) or colour commentary.

+1

Moderator
#17 Posted by God_Spawn (36011 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@Duchess said:

I don't want to see Emma break up with Scott, she just needs more purpose or storyline outside of him.

This in a nutshell.

Scott and Emma should remain with each other but please, please, give her more of a purpose outside of their relationship. She deserves panel time that doesn't involve Cyclops (or Namor) or colour commentary.

+2 cause I like one upping DH.

Moderator
#18 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

or just die

#19 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@oviouslyjeangrey said:

or just die

Been there, done that. She filled the obligatory requirement of a resurrection required to be Scott's bed buddy. Emma likely thinks deaths are so passée and should never be done more than once.

#20 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

@oraclefyre: Oh she already died what comic book was that. Lol and you are right scott likes to sleep with women who come back from the dead or clones

#21 Posted by SC (11992 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want Emma with Cyclops until all of the X-Men editorial are replaced. Morrison, Whedon, Carey and Gillen can all do good jobs on the two, and Morrison wrote those two in a time when he had some control over how each were represented. Except his success prompted X-Editorial to try replicate where they thought Morrisons ideas would go after he left. They done a really bad job. Emma to me is best as a smart, intellectual, independent, teacher and voice of critical reason. Except that doesn't make for a good cheerleader and ego booster to an unparalleled, weight of the world on my shoulders, badass playa playa. Now a trophy wife can be written snarky, and endearing, and witty, and thus well, but a trophy wife is still a trophy wife. If the plot is bad then even good writing can't save a good character from a bad arrangement. I'm tired of mediocrity and subjective projections and apologist like interpretation readings when certain editors and writers have been quite candid about their agendas with certain characters.  
 
I'd like to see more depth and complexity with Emma and her fellow X-Woman. You have these amazing female characters, so many of them, stubborn, strong, smart and articulate, but none of them are exactly alike, which means there is going to be a natural clash of egos, and words, but nothing that should ever seem so black and white, and for all their differences, these characters share similarities and so potential for strong and great friendships are there. Emma Frost was recently invoked by many involved with Slut Walk Movements, and Emma is extremely popular with many female comic fans, despite writing and art in comics having a natural disposition towards the male gender. There is validity in the idea that in the future Emma Frost could potentially usurp a character like Wonder Woman as the epitome of female strength, wit and confidence in the eyes of the mainstream with good writing and good stories. 
 
I'd like the character to bring back the controversy. She was introduced as a controversial character, her career is defined by controversial moments. Grant Morrison used her to bring edge back to the X-Men and to one of its best characters that had fallen into the shadows. With so many ignorant people and groups running around in real life with stronger ignorant opinions and statements, having a smart progressive writer use a smart and witty Emma to make clever and visceral observations and commitments controversy be damned, I could only see as a good thing. Comics are full with hypocritical and dumb characters. Emma should be having a field day with the verbal deconstruction's she could be laying down.                   
 
I adored her interaction with her brother, and many of the times she has interacted with students. So I would like to see more of that. Emma can be a cold callus, and tough character, and here you can both play that up, as well actually ambiguously hint at the selfless, kinder and nicer reasoning that motivates her sardonic and calculating nature. This can be a tricky road to walk down though, as I have seen some of my favorite writers screw this aspect of Emma up, but down well does a nice job of distinguishing her from the majority of comic book characters who wear their hearts on their sleeves and are frankly dumb, despite whatever ranking system claiming them to be intelligent. Seeing her teach cynical life lessons to family, friends, good guys and bad guys alike is so damn funny as well when done right. Her rants at Ms Marvel, Xavier, Kimura, Mandrill being some of my fav.    

Moderator
#22 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@oviouslyjeangrey: Well, it might not even count as a resurrection but in her diamond form she shattered and Beast put her back together and Jean merged the pieces and she was revived in New X-Men.

#23 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

@oraclefyre: Oh jean is so nice

#24 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: WHAT emma replace Wonder Women WONDER WOMEN wonder freaking women sorry i don't see it lol. Wonder Woman will always be the epitome of female strength, she goes toe to toe with superman Super-MAN need I say more. Emma Frost could never compare to Wonder Woman sorry.

#25 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5700 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
I don't want Emma with Cyclops until all of the X-Men editorial are replaced. Morrison, Whedon, Carey and Gillen can all do good jobs on the two, and Morrison wrote those two in a time when he had some control over how each were represented. Except his success prompted X-Editorial to try replicate where they thought Morrisons ideas would go after he left. They done a really bad job. Emma to me is best as a smart, intellectual, independent, teacher and voice of critical reason. Except that doesn't make for a good cheerleader and ego booster to an unparalleled, weight of the world on my shoulders, badass playa playa. Now a trophy wife can be written snarky, and endearing, and witty, and thus well, but a trophy wife is still a trophy wife. If the plot is bad then even good writing can't save a good character from a bad arrangement. I'm tired of mediocrity and subjective projections and apologist like interpretation readings when certain editors and writers have been quite candid about their agendas with certain characters.   I'd like to see more depth and complexity with Emma and her fellow X-Woman. You have these amazing female characters, so many of them, stubborn, strong, smart and articulate, but none of them are exactly alike, which means there is going to be a natural clash of egos, and words, but nothing that should ever seem so black and white, and for all their differences, these characters share similarities and so potential for strong and great friendships are there. Emma Frost was recently invoked by many involved with Slut Walk Movements, and Emma is extremely popular with many female comic fans, despite writing and art in comics having a natural disposition towards the male gender. There is validity in the idea that in the future Emma Frost could potentially usurp a character like Wonder Woman as the epitome of female strength, wit and confidence in the eyes of the mainstream with good writing and good stories.  I'd like the character to bring back the controversy. She was introduced as a controversial character, her career is defined by controversial moments. Grant Morrison used her to bring edge back to the X-Men and to one of its best characters that had fallen into the shadows. With so many ignorant people and groups running around in real life with stronger ignorant opinions and statements, having a smart progressive writer use a smart and witty Emma to make clever and visceral observations and commitments controversy be damned, I could only see as a good thing. Comics are full with hypocritical and dumb characters. Emma should be having a field day with the verbal deconstruction's she could be laying down.                    I adored her interaction with her brother, and many of the times she has interacted with students. So I would like to see more of that. Emma can be a cold callus, and tough character, and here you can both play that up, as well actually ambiguously hint at the selfless, kinder and nicer reasoning that motivates her sardonic and calculating nature. This can be a tricky road to walk down though, as I have seen some of my favorite writers screw this aspect of Emma up, but down well does a nice job of distinguishing her from the majority of comic book characters who wear their hearts on their sleeves and are frankly dumb, despite whatever ranking system claiming them to be intelligent. Seeing her teach cynical life lessons to family, friends, good guys and bad guys alike is so damn funny as well when done right. Her rants at Ms Marvel, Xavier, Kimura, Mandrill being some of my fav.    
Everything you said here is exactly what I want to see happen to Emma! I also want to see Emma stand out more than just a character who insults other people.  I want to see her as a strong character who is able to handle herself in many situations.
#26 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like writer's who just don't "get" her. Fraction turned her into a trophy wife and she resembled Jean in a lot of ways. Morrison, Whedon and Gillen seems to be doing a fine job, are the people who I trust with her. Otherwise she can sound like a teenager having a b1tch fit, and not like the cool Regina George kind.

#27 Posted by God_Spawn (36011 posts) - - Show Bio

@oraclefyre said:

I really don't like writer's who just don't "get" her. Fraction turned her into a trophy wife and she resembled Jean in a lot of ways. Morrison, Whedon and Gillen seems to be doing a fine job, are the people who I trust with her. Otherwise she can sound like a teenager having a b1tch fit, and not like the cool Regina George kind.

It's kind of the same thing with Cyclops for awhile. We just haven't gotten many writers that get the characters individually, let alone them together. Agreed on those 3 that get her.

Moderator
#28 Posted by ExtraLarge (243 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitlely think she should stay with Scott until Jean comes back so that he will have to choose which one to be with. In the meantime, they should use her more with the young mutants, what with her educational background and all. Eventually, I would like to see her turn bad again, only because there are so many X-Men and not enough quality villians.

#29 Edited by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Emma going to replace wonder woman? Emma slept her way to the top in both the HFC and the X-men. Hardly a great role model.

#30 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3275 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the character as well as Cyclops', but she's always struck me as being stronger when she is independent and pursuing her own goals.

#31 Posted by njones5 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

i would just like to see Emma in jail never to be seen again

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.