What did you all think of January Jones as Emma Frost

• 62 results
#1 Posted by cameronstear (68 posts) - - Show Bio

What did you all think of January Jones as Emma Frost

#2 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Not bad really, but I didn't totally see her as Emma. I just hated her Diamond Form, I can't believe they made it so weak...

#3 Posted by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadful as Emma, she has no presence on screen at all and hardly bought her character to life.

#4 Posted by God_Spawn (37892 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the writers' fault.

#6 Posted by God_Spawn (37892 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: I didn't think so. She really wasn't given the opportunity to do much to "be" Emma.

#7 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have gone with a British chick.

#9 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really care for her. I honestly forgot she was Emma Frost. I kept thinking she was just an obscure character.

Maybe it was the writers fault, maybe it was her fault, but for real who cares. She was just ehhhh NEXT!

(+)

#10 Posted by God_Spawn (37892 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Which isn't exactly her fault. I'm not saying it is the writers' fault in "oh, they screwed up". She didn't have the chance. It's like saying James Marsden was a bad Cyclops because he just cried about Jean and had maybe 20 lines in all 3 movies. He wasn't like how Cyclops necessarily should have been portrayed but that wasn't his fault.

#12 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think her acting was great in this movie, at certain parts she acted really bland.. Even if the writers didn't give her a lot of development and screentime, some parts she did have could've been done better in my opinion.

#13 Posted by Ren_ (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

BAD.

#14 Posted by God_Spawn (37892 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: I stand by Alice Eve like they originally intended. Already has the accent, HAWT HAWT HAWT, and can act very well.

#15 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

My vote is still on Charlize Theron, who has the beauty AND the acting chops.

Neat choice. I never thought of her, but now that you mention it, she really could've pulled a really good Emma.

Still, it's true that the writers share some of the fault in this.

#17 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily the worst part of the movie ;-; i can't stand her whenever shes on screen, Emma deserved better then that....and i hate her.

#18 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

she looked so stiff on screen, no presence at all, and if theirs one thing Emma has its presence! Plus she was so much more than someone who fetched ice for shaws drink.

and maybe it was just me but she looked frumpy. Her hair was awful and her diamond bra and mini skirt looked cheap, and thats not so much Jone's fault as it is the costume departments. That might seem shallow to mention, but a big part of Emma's character is her pride in her appearance.

#19 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

they should have went with alice eve.

#20 Posted by Onemoreposter (4052 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard. I felt hard.

#21 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt bad for January Jones, because like said, the writing really prevented her from having the opportunity to really evolve past Shaw's henchwoman. Furthermore, I still wish she'd had a little more 'oomph'.

#22 Posted by ThanoStomp (789 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan. Didn't exude the attitude that Emma needs.

#23 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

She was horrific. It doesn't matter if her lines were horrid, any actor worth their salt can make movement speak volumes. Emma belittles just by her facial expression and January translated that into stony frozen ice/blank stare.

So -- it was her. Had she bothered to look into the character, she would have realized the importance of getting across Emma's cutting personality. Even if the director wanted to show her as Shaw's arm candy and martini server, Emma still should have had some haughtiness to her. All we got was an ice princess.

#24 Posted by Vaccine (277 posts) - - Show Bio

She had the looks for the part but not the ability to act the part...well. Overall, it was an average attempt. So, meh.

#25 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Fail plain and simple.

#26 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

It was expected. Bryan Singer never gives good characterization unless the name is Wolverine, Xavier or Magneto.

#27 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

It was the writers' fault.

This. The writter was more worried about developing a good reason to all the female characters take out their cloths at some point of the movie than giving then something important to do on the scenes.

#28 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

"Boobies."

#29 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

"Boobies."

Well, you summed it up better than i could :P

#30 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

No i disagree on its the writting, i mean lets take Mystique in the first x-men movie she barely had any lines yet she managed to bring the character to the screen with minimum lines, January just can't act loool

#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01
they should have went with alice eve.
It's not that they didn't go with her, it's that she dropped the project. Which was a good choice on her part if she had any care for the character.
#32 Posted by doddy (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma just was a minor role in the movie, I think whether JJ's performance was good or not did not make the difference.

#33 Posted by HexThis (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma was really more decorative in this movie which almost appeared intentional since they were trying to reflect the treatment of women in the 60's in a lot of ways (Moira not being taken seriously at work, Mystique not being allowed to fight, etc).

Personally, I think the writing didn't really support the sassy Emma we're used to. The First Class Emma was just sort of cold and detached. It works for Betty on Mad Men (whom I love) but Emma's a lot more opinionated and outspoken. By the way, so is Mystique, though I love what Bryan Singer did with her I also thought it was a little absurd she doesn't talk.

But Alice Eve? I don't think it would've worked, she very girlish seeming. Emma is not a girl. She's a woman!

#34 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jones would've done better VOICING Emma in an animated film or something. Like for instance, if they didn't do the Astonishing X-Men: Gifted motion comic and instead did a fully-animated film--THAT would have been a better outlet for her to do Frost justice.

#35 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

She was alright. Could have been better, could have been worse.

#36 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameronstear: I didn't like what i saw of Emma FRost in the movie, I won't blame January Jones because I do not know the extent of her talent as an actress (i want to be fair to her), she just seemed very boring to me as Emma Frost, she seemed dry and stoic, Emma Frost is anything BUT dry and stoic, I thought I'd see bitchyness, one of Emma Frost's most dominant endearing qualities....the writers didn't even get that right

#37 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@GonnaRain: haha yea her diamond form looked more like glass didn't it, but I didn't like the diamond form of the Emma Frost in the Wolverine movie either, I guess it's hard to create a nice one *shrugs*

@Matchstick: Emma Frost isn't British lol, why?

@CerealKiller: well said!!

#38 Posted by boob (366 posts) - - Show Bio

The only time I felt she showed Emma was when she made the Russian guy think he was doing it with her. All the while she was in a chair doing her nails. That is the Emma I know and miss in the comics and in the movie.  
 I agree that the movie was more on Charles and Erik's friendship, and the beginning of the X-men. But she should have had much more of a presence. Hell Rebecca Romijin had more of a presence in the first two movies as Mystique, then January Jones did as Emma. And that is saying something.  
  The other thing I had a problem with was how she looked. Even though Emma is pushing her thirties in the comics, she looks at times like she is at the most in her early twenties. Where January looks more like she is in her early to mid thirties.  
   The last problem is  Jones seemed lost in her outfits, where for Emma it is the other way around. I have not seen much with Jones to really say but it seemed like she was uncomfortable. For Emma she looks at her clothes no different then a guy and his over priced car. Proud and wanting to show it off to everyone, even if they could care less. Where Jones acted like Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries, totally out of place and wanting to put on some sweatpants. 

#39 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

@HexThis said:

Emma was really more decorative in this movie which almost appeared intentional since they were trying to reflect the treatment of women in the 60's in a lot of ways (Moira not being taken seriously at work, Mystique not being allowed to fight, etc).

Personally, I think the writing didn't really support the sassy Emma we're used to. The First Class Emma was just sort of cold and detached. It works for Betty on Mad Men (whom I love) but Emma's a lot more opinionated and outspoken. By the way, so is Mystique, though I love what Bryan Singer did with her I also thought it was a little absurd she doesn't talk.

But Alice Eve? I don't think it would've worked, she very girlish seeming. Emma is not a girl. She's a woman!

IA <3

+ I just didn't like emma being a 60s woman, plain and simple. Emma's character is built on the 'modern woman' and I didn't like the way they handled her

#40 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiss_lamia: no she isnt

#41 Posted by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

@queenfrost_: yup suckedy sucks loool

#42 Posted by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

she was awesome

#43 Posted by Avenger85 (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

My heart says she didn't act Emma's role that well.

But my dick says she did just fine.

#44 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely dull. She had all the gravitas of an oatmeal cookie. Personally, I don't think she even looked good in the lingerie getup.

Part of the blame falls to the script I suppose, but Jones just didn't have the 'Emma look' either. Nor the Emma voice. Emma Frost should be a commanding, self-assured and beautiful in the sort of upper-class bourgeoisie way type of lady. Not stiff, and emotionless with deadpan lines.

All that being said, Frost had a relatively minor role in the entire movie, so I can live with it.

#45 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to judge, she really did not have much to work with, neither impressed or disappointed.

#46 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Unremarkable at best

#47 Posted by LipstickZombie (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is a fabulous Emma and I would love to see an Emma Frost origin story with her.

#48 Edited by lerijiso (4 posts) - - Show Bio

She is definitely the worst part of the film. It broke my heart to see one of the sexiest female in comic getting such horrendous treatment by the actress herself and also the teams behind it (writing/costume/makeup). She cant act..partly because of the writing but her bland persona definitely didn't help. Her costume sucked and she is not blessed with a body which can rock any bad costumes. You see cosplayers with better bodies at any geek-cons. And oh the hair, the horror. That has got the be the most unflattering hair-job ever. I know its the 60's but come on... they screwed January up big time there. In my opinion, TOTAL FAIL! Wouldn't want to see her ever again. Period.

P/S: Also, no offence but she's looked way too old maybe due to reasons mentioned above.

#49 Posted by God_Spawn (37892 posts) - - Show Bio

They still should've had Alice Eve play the role. Real English. Busty. Hot. Can play the b*tch.

#50 Posted by maxxx676 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just thinking... Why they even put effort to do the last scene with her being freed from prison while they don't put her in a sequel....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.